PDA

View Full Version : WTB LT5 Engine

nmitch2311
04-26-2006, 01:24 PM
I am looking to buy a used LT5 engine. Please email me if you have one available. Will purchase ASAP.

Norman
nmitch2311@aol.com

Z Factor
04-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum Norman.:handshak:

nmitch2311
05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm still waiting on an LT5 engine. Does anyone out there has one for for sale? I want to do the impossible by replacing my L98 to an LT5 for a 1988 Pontiac Firebird GTA convertible. I know its going to be a technical challenge. I'm welcome to any suggestions or recommendations this forum may share for success.

tccrab
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Good luck on the swap, seems to me like a *huge* chore.
Personally, for the money you're going to spend, why not a new LS7?

As far as finding a used LT5, this guy was selling them on eBay. The rumor is that he bought up all the warranty return LT5's that GM had stored away. In the very beginning of the ZR1 run Chevy shops weren't allowed to do more than diagnose any problems with the LT5. If there were internal problems, the factory mandated action was R&R the entire engine.
Here's a link to his eBay profile, good luck!
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=race_craft&iid=8036587655
Let us know how it goes.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

nmitch2311
05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I'm only doing this for the cool factor. You hardly ever see any Firebird GTA's around much anymore let alone a convertible. I figure since I own something rare, and I need a replacement engine, why not install a never before done LT5 engine in my GTA. Both combinations will make this vehicle standout amongst the rest. I have given the LS7 engine some thought, however, I still will be face with many modifications that may need to be performed and cost. Would you assume that If I did go with the LS7, the end cost would probably be the same as if I installed the LT5?

tccrab
05-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I'm only doing this for the cool factor. You hardly ever see any Firebird GTA's around much anymore let alone a convertible. I figure since I own something rare, and I need a replacement engine, why not install a never before done LT5 engine in my GTA. Both combinations will make this vehicle standout amongst the rest. I have given the LS7 engine some thought, however, I still will be face with many modifications that may need to be performed and cost. Would you assume that If I did go with the LS7, the end cost would probably be the same as if I installed the LT5?

Norman:

Both the LT5 and the LS7 have way huge cool quotients associated with each.
Both will require a LOT of engineering to fit into, and not tear your car apart when you mash the go pedal.
A quick online search tells me a crate LS7 will set you back around $12,500 for 550 potent ponies. This price does not include accessories or computer, so the actual cost of your upgrade will be considerably more. Plus you'll need a transmission that will handle all that power without dumping it's guts out on the boulevard.

You'll spend a little less getting a LT5, but you will also need the ZF6 tranny that comes with it because the bell housing bolt pattern on the back of the block is not standard Chevy. The LT5 comes in two versions, the 90-92 rated at 385 hp, and the 93-95 were rated at 405 hp. They can be modified to increase performance by porting and polishing the intake plenum and heads, installing bigger valves and different cams. Major HP improvement usually involves stoking the motor, which will add serious BIG dollars to your upgrade. There's always NOS, but most people tend to shy away from the spray. NOS is a great way to make extra HP, but it's also an easy way to detonate a motor if not set up and used correctly.

With all this talk of HP, don't forget that your GTA wasn't engineered to withstand 400+hp. Traction will be a big issue. You'll have to think about suspension mods to maximize traction and reduce the desire of the engine to twist itself right out from under your hood.
You'll have to think about what happens when you DO get good traction.
Will your standard differential handle the extra load?
Will the U joints hold up to the sheer brute power? Will you need wheelie bars to keep the front of the car on the ground?
And speaking of power, is your braking system up to the job of slowing this beast down from warp 10 repeatidly without overheating?

LS1's & LS2's are reasonably cheap these days, and can be easily modded to produce as much HP as your Visa card can stand. Parts will be cheaper too.
The "Cool Factor" is only a little smaller, the LS's are good engines, and are very high tech. If there's any drawbacks, the only major one I can see is that there's lots of them out there. Not very unique.

I've probably bored you by now, so I'll quit with the :blahblah: :blahblah:

Regrds,

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

nmitch2311
05-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Norman:

Both the LT5 and the LS7 have way huge cool quotients associated with each.
Both will require a LOT of engineering to fit into, and not tear your car apart when you mash the go pedal.
A quick online search tells me a crate LS7 will set you back around $12,500 for 550 potent ponies. This price does not include accessories or computer, so the actual cost of your upgrade will be considerably more. Plus you'll need a transmission that will handle all that power without dumping it's guts out on the boulevard.

You'll spend a little less getting a LT5, but you will also need the ZF6 tranny that comes with it because the bell housing bolt pattern on the back of the block is not standard Chevy. The LT5 comes in two versions, the 90-92 rated at 385 hp, and the 93-95 were rated at 405 hp. They can be modified to increase performance by porting and polishing the intake plenum and heads, installing bigger valves and different cams. Major HP improvement usually involves stoking the motor, which will add serious BIG dollars to your upgrade. There's always NOS, but most people tend to shy away from the spray. NOS is a great way to make extra HP, but it's also an easy way to detonate a motor if not set up and used correctly.

With all this talk of HP, don't forget that your GTA wasn't engineered to withstand 400+hp. Traction will be a big issue. You'll have to think about suspension mods to maximize traction and reduce the desire of the engine to twist itself right out from under your hood.
You'll have to think about what happens when you DO get good traction.
Will your standard differential handle the extra load?
Will the U joints hold up to the sheer brute power? Will you need wheelie bars to keep the front of the car on the ground?
And speaking of power, is your braking system up to the job of slowing this beast down from warp 10 repeatidly without overheating?

LS1's & LS2's are reasonably cheap these days, and can be easily modded to produce as much HP as your Visa card can stand. Parts will be cheaper too.
The "Cool Factor" is only a little smaller, the LS's are good engines, and are very high tech. If there's any drawbacks, the only major one I can see is that there's lots of them out there. Not very unique.

I've probably bored you by now, so I'll quit with the :blahblah: :blahblah:

Regrds,

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

This is the very reason why I decided to join this group of elite professionals such as yourself Tom. And do to your feedbacks, I have decided to go with an LS instead of the LT5. Reason being, "Temptation". I can clearly see into the future a possible scenario that will happen. And though my intentions for going with the LT5 was again the "Cool factor". If people see what I posses they will want to "Try Me". Especially at traffics lights, and this is where it all get started. I can see it now. A Dodge Viper pulls up and revs his engine (let's me know his horses are in the stable). Then, my mental intuition will overcome my desire to punch the love juice to feed all my Thoroughbreds (an animal that can carry weight with sustained speed over extended distances) who has been starving since I decided to cruise around for looks. As a result, the inevitable will happen as you explained in your previous post that everything may end up on the street. It was a good idea at first, but in the long run, I think it will be best to spend my money on something a little less potent.

Regards,

Norman

tccrab
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Norman:

My goal was not to talk you out of doing the upgrade. A LT5 would be really_really cool under the hood of your GTA.
It would be quite an engineering feat getting it in there and getting it to work, and that's kind of what I wanted to pass along to you. It wouldn't be cheap either.
If money and time is no object, then by all means, let's stuff a fire breathing monster in there!!
But seriously, if you want a LT5, why not buy a ZR1? I've seen reasonably decent ZR1's go for less than $15k. If you think about it for a while, you'll see my point. It might actually cost you less to buy a complete car, than to upgrade your GTA.

Good luck!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

hmmm... speaking of Vipers, I wonder if a Viper V10 would fit under your hood... hmmm.. Might need a cutting torch and a big hammer.. hmmm..hmmm..:icon_scra :icon_scra
:wink:

nmitch2311
05-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Norman:

My goal was not to talk you out of doing the upgrade. A LT5 would be really_really cool under the hood of your GTA.
It would be quite an engineering feat getting it in there and getting it to work, and that's kind of what I wanted to pass along to you. It wouldn't be cheap either.
If money and time is no object, then by all means, let's stuff a fire breathing monster in there!!
But seriously, if you want a LT5, why not buy a ZR1? I've seen reasonably decent ZR1's go for less than $15k. If you think about it for a while, you'll see my point. It might actually cost you less to buy a complete car, than to upgrade your GTA.

Good luck!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

hmmm... speaking of Vipers, I wonder if a Viper V10 would fit under your hood... hmmm.. Might need a cutting torch and a big hammer.. hmmm..hmmm..:icon_scra :icon_scra
:wink:

WOW!!! This would be nice. There is one on Ebay now.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-Dodge-Viper-v10-Motor-Engine-and-Transmission_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQite mZ8065373592QQrdZ1"

blackjack
05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
awwwwwwww....cmon,guys,lets be serious....lolll:wink:
mmmm....theres that helicopter turbine next door........
blackjack

65ZR1
05-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Not quite true about having to use the ZF transmission. The bolt pattern is different but it is only the one bolt at the 2 0'clock position ( facing the back of the motor). I think this bolt is different because there is a head bolt in the way. I have a T56 bolted up to a 94 LT5 and a friend has a C5 torque tube and T56 bolted up to a 90 LT5. It is true that the LS engined will be cheaper and parts are easier to find but to me they are pretty ugly compared to the LT5! Good luck with the project!

:cheers:

nmitch2311
05-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Not quite true about having to use the ZF transmission. The bolt pattern is different but it is only the one bolt at the 2 0'clock position ( facing the back of the motor). I think this bolt is different because there is a head bolt in the way. I have a T56 bolted up to a 94 LT5 and a friend has a C5 torque tube and T56 bolted up to a 90 LT5. It is true that the LS engined will be cheaper and parts are easier to find but to me they are pretty ugly compared to the LT5! Good luck with the project!

This is the very reason why I wanted to go with the LT5 (Looks). However, folks think I am crazy to spend all this money on something that looks good. Thanks for the comment.

WB9MCW
05-13-2006, 05:42 PM
WELL THERE ARE PLENTY OTHERS THAT HAVE HAD THE SAME DREAM AND TURNED IT INTO REALITY...BTW 65ZR1 WELCOME TO THE FORUM HAVE YOU A C2 LT-5??? SURE WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PIC OF YOURS IF SO!!!

LT-5 DREAM RIDES............................................. .................:thumbsup:

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/91chev7201-A.jpg
THE BOYD C. S10 ZR-1/LT-5 CONVERSION.....:cheers:

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/91chev7201-B.jpg

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/91chev7201-C.jpg

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/medium/gs-lt5.jpg

WB9MCW
05-13-2006, 05:44 PM
AND A FEW MORE DREAMS COME TRUE..........................

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/medium/110-1059_IMG.JPG

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/medium/110-1060_IMG.JPG

http://www.corvettevalley.com/gallery/data/520/medium/110-1070_IMG.JPG

SO YOU SEE YOU WOULD BE IN GOOD COMPANY IF YOU DID DO THE LT-5 GTA!:cheers:

tccrab
05-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Check out this LT5 in a '55 Chevy.
It's over on the Corvette Forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1392406
Talk about fabrication. This guy really_really_really did a fantastic job with the frame and suspension. :worship:
If money is no object miracles can happen.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

nmitch2311
05-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Check out this LT5 in a '55 Chevy.
It's over on the Corvette Forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1392406
Talk about fabrication. This guy really_really_really did a fantastic job with the frame and suspension. :worship:
If money is no object miracles can happen.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

There are truly some amazing folks in this forum. I appreciate all the pics and encouragements to make this project possible from a group of fine individuals. I hope someday I will find an LT5, and when I do, my dream will start to become reality.

Regards,

Norman

WB9MCW
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I made a post on CF and suggested he might comment over here too!

blackjack
05-15-2006, 11:15 PM
there is a 368 for sale in the ad section....someone know about that engine...if i can work out a deal with the owner,my engine might be for sale
blackjack
91/1735

tccrab
05-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Hey Norman!

Here's a '95 LT5 for sale, complete.
The price is just a teenie weenie, itsy bitsy, fu:censored:ing outrageous.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8066341376&fromMakeTrack=true

*sheesh*

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

tomtom72
05-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Two more cents from the apprentice Z owner....I think the idea about buying a well used & inexpensive ZR-1 might be an idea worth thinking about.

If you didn't fall in love with the car and want to restore it if it was rough at the edges you could part it out and keep the drive train for yourself. You might even cover some of the transplant costs with the sale of the parts.

Just a thought.:o

65ZR1
05-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the welcome WB9MCW. Ive been here before but Ive been absent for quite some time now. Im building a 65 coupe sitting on a round tube frame. The motor, suspension and many other parts were donated by the unfortunate demise of a 94 Z. The project went off track due to other comittments but its going again now! I will post some pics soon.

Cheers

nmitch2311
05-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey Norman!

Here's a '95 LT5 for sale, complete.
The price is just a teenie weenie, itsy bitsy, fu:censored:ing outrageous.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8066341376&fromMakeTrack=true

*sheesh*

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

Outrageous isn't the word. It should be against the law. I mean, come on. $22,000 for an LT5. I would be better off buying a ZR1 and strip the vette just for the engine which would be ludicrous. I can't come to a reason on why such a high asking price. I do remember talking to the seller. He gave me a chance to buy the engine prior to listing on ebay.

nmitch2311
05-18-2006, 06:23 PM
there is a 368 for sale in the ad section....someone know about that engine...if i can work out a deal with the owner,my engine might be for sale
blackjack
91/1735

How much do want for your engine if you decide to go that route?

Norman

2lpzr1s
05-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi; new to the registry. Re the 368 I concidered trying to purchase the motor I asked for paperwork and what i got said 385 race assembly and the 1994 price. when i asked about the discrepancy i got oh yeah i posted it wrongand am going to redo the add today .that was 2 wks ago:confused: It was also shared that the engine was in a storage unit. he wasn't very forth coming on how it was put to bed or how long he's owned it. i also asked for the ph of the person it was bought from .his reply i lost contact with him. it may be on the up and up but to me something not right. Hope this helps.

WB9MCW
05-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Ok guys I'm gonna turn you on to a little secret I have been keeping for a while!

I just happen to know where 18 "brand spanky new" LT-5's are sitting in perfect shape!

One promise though....Remember where you found this.... Here on the ZR-1 Net/Registry Forum....Not on CF, CAC, Crossed Flags, ESS or any other forum but right here on "the true home of the ZR-1"....All I ask in return is that you do NOT bring it up on any of the other forums and keep "our little secret" here where the true ZR-1/LT-5 Diehards hang out (the NET is Ok since it is our other half here)....Not to say or imply that the other forums are not KOOL because anywhere ZR-1/LT-5 is spoken about is KOOL... but this, in my humble thinking, is where the "true to the breed" ZRONERS hang out!!! Nuff said...

I found this treasure while watching Hot Rod Power Tour on Speed one night...

Here is how the story unfolded.....

HOT ROD MAGAZINE POWER TOUR 2001
Tuesday, May 8 — Tulsa, OK
to Amarillo, TX

Oh man, what a day. You won’t believe it. I’ve seen it all. I’ve been to the mountain top. I’ve been there, done that. I’ve... I’ve... Well, I’m speechless. Let me tell you what happened...

Last night at dinner, Jack Trepanier casually mentioned he was going to see a fellow who had some neat old cars. Fords at that. Some of ’em were race cars. Were we interested?

Darn right we were.

So much for sleeping those two extra hours for the short trip to Amarillo. We got up early, formed up a mini-Tour of interested folks in-the-know, and blasted-off. Our destination? Ripley, Oklahoma, believe it or not. Jack’s friend is a major land baron, owning 1/3 of the entire town (there are three buildings, and he owns one of them). His name? Rick Kirk.

Rick owns a little ol’ machine shop down a little ol’ road in little ol’ Ripley, Oklahoma. And, he just happens to own the most extensive collection of race Fords anywhere. Where did he get all those cool cars? Well, Ford calls him when they need a historic race car for a promo shot. By the way, he also owns a really sophisticated alarm system, so put those nefarious thoughts out of your mind before you go any further.

So, inside we went, first to his little ol’ machine shop, where odds and ends abounded. Want a ’63 Econoline Step Van with a mid-engined Lincoln Mark VIII mod motor?

There’s one here. And look, no driveshaft.

Rick says we’ll see it on next year’s Power Tour.

Need old Shelby stuff?

Rick’s got that, too, along with one of only three Shelby watches in existence. Too bad the photos of it didn’t turn out. Rick knows everything about his eccentric collection, and is more than glad to share the knowledge. Here, he patiently answers a question about a young Linda Vaughn in a poster on the back wall.

Trust me, this quiet unassuming man is the genuine article.

http://www.mothers.com/powertour/powertour2001/PT2001_Pics/PT2001_May08_Pics/Dscn2432.jpg

Need a set of NOS, in-the-box, Holman & Moody 427 SOHC heads?

Rick’s got them, too. How many you need?

How about 18 LT-1 motors for a ZR-1 Corvette? Yep, they’re in the crates, just sittin’ and collectin’ dust. (I just threw that in to show he’s more than a Ford guy. Equal opportunity, you know.)

It’s all here — every part, sign and promo piece you could imagine.

Rick is my new hero. Think he’ll adopt me? Maybe he’s got an unmarried daughter? I hope my wife understands why I’ve turned into a bigamist. It’s really important.

Oh yeah, other odds and ends — how about one of the two motors out of Mickey Thompson’s Streamliner that set a new record at Bonneville, but was unable to back it up because of rain?

Here it is, just as it was pulled out of the car.

*****NOTE***** IS IT A WRONG STATEMENT...LT-1...IT SHOULD BE LT-5 OF COURSE....BUT THIS IS A GOOD THING SINCE IT ADDS TO THE SECRET....

Here is the link for the entire story and kudos to Hot Rod Mag. and Mothers Wax for the cyber article that is still on the internet allowing me to share it all with you guys now!!! Which just proves that when we hot rod guys hang togather great networking results... I always loved Hot Rod mag as a kid long b4 my Chevy/Vette love affair began which lead to my ultimate ZR-1 addiction....

http://www.mothers.com/powertour/powertour2001/PT2001_Txt/PT2001_May08.html

Now after a bit of google snooping I came up with the following....and it was not an easy find...took me about an hour of snooping....(maybe now there might be a listing under his name since google is evolving all the time...but back then it was not...) Here is what I finally found the key to the secret...

BLUE THUNDER DEALERS

This partial list of BLUE THUNDER DEALERS have the interest and capability of advising you of the best version of the "BLUE THUNDER" head for your application, and can provide further assistance reference any "BLUE THUNDER" product.

And this big list of the dealers was posted and guess what!!!

I found him there....and here is the final key to unlock the "Ultimate pristine collection of LT-5's" just sitting aroun in a good olde boy's machine shop in Ripley, Oklahoma....

RICK KIRK ENTERPRISES
6404 N. Ripley Rd.
Ripley, OK 74062 …… (918) 372-4537
Ford oriented specialty engine builder with complete machine shop.
http://www.bluethunderauto.com/dealers.html

One final promise....Please make sure you tell Rick how you learned about him...take the time to have notes on the story how it all unfolded... Mothers/Hot Rod Mag. Power tour/Blue Thunder Dealers...I know it will be painfull to talk up Fords...but you are going to have to convince the man you are worthy of one of these babys... AND BE SURE TO MENTION ZR-1 NET/REGISTRY.... as the real place that the "secret" was told to you!!!

And be sure to post back here with us about your success and project so that we may advise others in the future on how to obtain a pristine LT-5 from a man who no doubt is a lover of all "HOT ROD ENGINES" and took the time and money to save such a treasure.

I hope it works out for you if you do get a hold of an LT-5 from Mr Kirk and tell him us ZRONER's love him for it!!!

I have to say this has to be the ultimate gift of knowledge/secret I have ever posted on the forum...yes even better than all the "Vette Babe 4 the Day" photos combined... But I felt it was time to share now this "ultimate secret" when good use of these motors can be acheived and you guys who want to do KOOL LT-5 rides can find "the real deal" in storage by a man who loves all things "HOT ROD"..... even if he happens to prefer a.....

http://www.carbuyersnotebook.com/Ford_logo_old.jpg

and don't forget to wax your daily driver with some

http://www.mothers.com/powertour/powertour2001/PT2001_Pics/PT2001_May08_Pics/Dscn2527.jpg

and buy a....http://www.efi101.com/img/mag_hotrod.jpgmag every now and then.... because with out their support of hot rodders this little secret would have never happend....Good Luck...and may your "ULTIMATE LT-5 DREAM RIDE" turn from your mind fantasy into reality....:cheers:

tomtom72
05-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Bryan you find the needle in the haystack! Sherlock Holmes ain't got nuth'in on you!=D> :thumbsup:

I'll bet that gent knows what that stuff is worth, proly wouldn't be any give aways....but if ya need an LT5, well ya just gotta cough it up. I wonder how long before the hard core ZRoners start buying high milers for donar cars?? Kind of like the black market for transplant organs!:mrgreen:

Too rich for my blood...I guess I'll try to take real good care of my drivetrain & hope it lasts till I can't get into a C4 any longer...then I'll get a C5 auto!:sign10:

2lpzr1s
05-21-2006, 08:33 PM
I bought my 2 for 14000 and 11500 one black and one red .red one off the original owner had 140000 mi . secondaries inop but new paint clutch tires .Sec prob a disc vac line to manifold diff. ;with borla ex #348 rwhp and runs like new .Black one traded 92 lt1 +2k from used car lot in Reno 21/2yrs ago.Now has headers flowmasterex. 372rwhp. Sure would haved loved to put the?368-385 but really have a problem with people who aren't up front from the get go. ALSO sketchy paper work. The seller might be ok but just couldn't get past first it's a368 then can't get ahold of him for 10 days after asking for paperwork aND LIKE MAJIC IT'S A385 who is he david Copperfield? Just wanted to share with the group to beware. Ever since meeting Uly @ vegas ; this is a great goupe of people whos passion with these cars I share. Heck I used to be a ford guy for 30yrs.

Z Factor
05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi; new to the registry.

Hello and welcome to the forum.:handshak:

Z Factor
05-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Ok guys I'm gonna turn you on to a little secret I have been keeping for a while!

I must say I was a little concerned when I read the first sentence, especially after you posted the picture of the guy in the babes section.:mrgreen:

I just happen to know where 18 "brand spanky new" LT-5's are sitting in perfect shape!

One promise though....Remember where you found this.... Here on the ZR-1 Net/Registry Forum....Not on CF, CAC, Crossed Flags, ESS or any other forum but right here on "the true home of the ZR-1"....All I ask in return is that you do NOT bring it up on any of the other forums and keep "our little secret" here where the true ZR-1/LT-5 Diehards hang out (the NET is Ok since it is our other half here)....Not to say or imply that the other forums are not KOOL because anywhere ZR-1/LT-5 is spoken about is KOOL... but this, in my humble thinking, is where the "true to the breed" ZRONERS hang out!!! Nuff said...

Imagine my relief reading the next few lines.:wink:

Needless to say it is great that you are exclusively sharing the info with other ZR-1Net Registry members.:thumbsup: :cool:

2lpzr1s
05-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanx for the welcome. I know this off subject a little but who does good work on 369 or 385? or how often does a 385 car come up for sale and aprox cost?

tccrab
05-26-2006, 01:35 PM
:hello:
Here you go!
One LT5 + ZF6

http://tinyurl.com/rutu2

2lpzr1s
05-29-2006, 09:42 PM
asking price too high for me .Just bought 2nd z whole car for 11100. I'm looking for a good used reputable 385-415 or a whole car in good shape. If anyone knows of one please pm me .Thanx

Z Factor
05-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Thanx for the welcome. I know this off subject a little but who does good work on 369 or 385? or how often does a 385 car come up for sale and aprox cost?

I missed this post/question earlier.

There are a few tuners who do good and trustworthy work on our LT5's. I hesitate to recommend one over the other since I have not increased the cubes myself, but I am sure you could call either

Aaron at SGC

http://www.sgvette.com/

or Mark at HAT

http://www.zr1specialist.com/

and they will be happy to steer you in the right direction.

2lpzr1s
05-30-2006, 04:00 AM
thanx for the help . I've looked into having a engine done .If there was a shop in calif. I would proably go that way . I can't afford the 2+ k to have the car shipped to Aaron or Mark. and everyone that builds these motors wants to do the install. thats 3+ k. So unless I could find a engine builder that would allow me to send the motor to them? I'm left with trying to find a whole 385-415 car for sale . Having built show cars and my own hotrods for 25+ yrs I just can't eat 5+ k. Im' not saying that there is any thing shady. Those 2[mark-Aaron] are very classy guys that do excellant work/. If anyone knows a builder that doesn't have that install requirement.or if someone is selling a 385-415 car or motor please let me know. thanx

WB9MCW
05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Try ESS....
http://www.acsvette.com/

home of the mean green LT-5 tell em we sent ya!

http://www.acsvette.com/joesgreenlt5.JPG