PDA

View Full Version : Waxing Around Logos

Socalerv
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Okay, I am the guy that when I wax a car I always have a great deal of clean up around the logos and lettering. Is there a secret of not getting wax where it belongs and not? Also what works best of getting wax off of lamo lens and molding?

carter200
03-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Okay, I am the guy that when I wax a car I always have a great deal of clean up around the logos and lettering. Is there a secret of not getting wax where it belongs and not? Also what works best of getting wax off of lamo lens and molding?

Erv,
I always use a wax that goes on clear and does not haze up. Solves your problems for me. Good luck. Try having your problem on a BLACK car...:handshak:

Dylan@Adams
03-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Taping... at least thats the way I go, that and just using a steady hand in tight areas. A few minutes with blue or green masking tape BEFORE you start working will save you an hour or more of cleanup later.

robbz28
08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I know this is an older post, but I'm new but do have a solution to this problem. I am also a motorcycle rider and I use a product on it called "Original Bike Spirits- Roadside Detailer" I don't think I have used water to wash my bike in several months. I have been using it long enough on bikes to know that it's not going to hurt any plastic or paint. The PO of my car did a quick wax job on it before I bought it and had tons of wax stuck in the cracks. I used a micro fiber rag and a little of my Bike Spirits and it made short work of the leftover wax. I also used it on my 1991 wheels to clean between the slots.

DennisC
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Use a detailing toothbrush type with microfiber cloth, the brush reaches up close then wipe w cloth

We Gone
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Been using one of these for years works great. Around emblems dash and any other area I can reach with it. Sonic Scrubber

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190744121978?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Racinfan83
08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
My car had wax all over the center molding strip when I got it. Three applications of Mother's Back to Black got 95% of it off. Thinkin the next time I do it should get the rest. I waxed the car yesterday with Meguiars Poly and I taped off the trim and emblems first with blue painters tape. The Meguiars seemed to not fill the body gaps with white stuff as bad as most others I have used....

32valvesftw
09-29-2015, 08:57 PM
Old post but a good quality paint brush works for me.

lfalzarano
09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
I tried the brush tricks for many years, but that was time consuming. I found an easier solution.

Once you've cleared the car cracks, and logo's of the wax, use a synthetic wax, like Mequiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax® 2.0. $20 and it is better than wax and won't yellow.

On the engine use a quality paint cleaner and follow with a polishing coat. Do not use wax to seal it. Let it go with just the polish. Same for the wheels.

32valvesftw
10-04-2015, 01:50 AM
The new synthetic waxes are awesome thats for sure, I also use NXT good stuff.

randy ransome
10-04-2015, 10:55 AM
I was using Mequiars NXT now use Mequiars Ultimate and like it.

:proud:

Paul Workman
10-21-2015, 05:59 PM
Old post but a good quality paint brush works for me.

Agreed!

OR, stay away from wax and use a clear (nano) polymer polish and never have to fuss with residue again...Just sayin!

32valvesftw
10-21-2015, 07:47 PM
Speaking only for myself, I tried that product Zanios on my M5, The M5 was carbon black in color, showed all flaws. Anyway, I had issues with hazing, and went back to waxes. Plus that Porter cable in the tool shed needs to be used regularly!!??

Racinfan83
10-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Agreed!

OR, stay away from wax and use a clear (nano) polymer polish and never have to fuss with residue again...Just sayin!

That's the direction I'm going. Used the wife's car as a guinea pig - came out really nice and I didn't do it as well as I will the Z.
Going with Menzerna fg400 compound, sf4000 polish, and Wolfgang Deep Gloss 3.0 polymer sealer. Weather stays decent here for another couple weeks I hope to get at least part of the Z done to see how it looks...