PDA

View Full Version : Unofficial Caravan to B. G.

tomtom72
03-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Here Ye, Here Ye, to all the Northeast ZR-oners that what to try to organize a caravan to BG post up here and we'll try to sort something out that works for all of us.

Anyone up for herding cats? :sign10:

Okay so I'll start since I'm here already!

Going down on Tuesday May 15 at around 6AM and arrive at BG about 8 or 9 PM ( 7 or 8 PM local time ). For me it's a 14 hr trip so I would normally leave NYC/Metro suburbs at around 6 to 6:30 AM.

Coming back to NYC/Metro suburbs on Sunday May 20....leave BG at Oh-dark-thirty as it's the same 14 hrs even though it's all uphill!:wink:

:thumbsup:
Tom

Registration is now open at the NCM website...so go and register!

efnfast
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Tom, you're about 4 hours from me, so that makes it an 18 hour drive for me. I thought more like 24 hours. So I guess it's a one day trip, but I'll need some breaks. That's a lot of driving.

What do we register for at the NCM?

Steve

FU
03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
I'd be leaving out of LI extremely early Wednesday morning if anyone want's to cover my back.

BigJohn
03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
What is B.G.???

Blue Grass?
Be Good?
Bumpy Ground?
Blood & Guts?
:blahblah:

Mystic ZR-1
03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Big John
You should know, your car was parked there for awhile!!!
Doug

BigJohn
03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I know!!!
They wanted it back again this year; but I said no thank you!!!!
:cheers:

tomtom72
03-17-2012, 06:30 AM
Tom, you're about 4 hours from me, so that makes it an 18 hour drive for me. I thought more like 24 hours. So I guess it's a one day trip, but I'll need some breaks. That's a lot of driving.

What do we register for at the NCM?

Steve

Hi Steve, oh congrats on the new rubber! :-D I would be very interested in your driving impressions of the PS2's.

We can only register for the event itself, and the banquet on Saturday night.....so that's what i did. On the caravan idea of mine....:o it looks to be a tough nut to crack. We could all meet up in Harrisburg PA as it looks like the closest intercept point for you and I. I just don't know much right now as I haven't studied a map to actually try to pick out what roads you would use to get to BG from your home. I was figuring you might use 81S from your neck of the woods? Anyway we have some time to sort this all out.

Tom

efnfast
03-17-2012, 06:55 AM
I will certainly post on my impression of the tires. Rears only by the way.
I'll get registered for NCM.
I'll be coming right through NYC. Pick a time and a place outside the city. Sounds like you want to get started around 6:00, that means i leave around 2:00A. Gets me out of all the cities pre traffic.

Mystic ZR-1
03-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Steve,
The CT Turnpike should be OK @ that time of day, any other time it's terrible but ya still have to deal w/NY and NJ. I'll be riding shotgun w/Tom Tom. You might consider RT 84 to 81
Doug

efnfast
03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey, I'm easy. Where do we hook up?:-D

tomtom72
03-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Steve, Map Quest sent you south on 95 to NYC? That seems too far east to make sense to me from your home. What Doug said makes more sense from a driver's V. P. I was thinking that Harrisburg, PA is a "natural" meet point if you look at a map, JMHO. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to meet up near NYC and lead us down, but we need to be a bit practical on driving distances for all of us. No?

My take would be if John ( from Albany area ) intends to go to BG you and he could meet up somewhere south of you. Then I would meet you guys in Harrisburg, PA where 81 joins 78. This way all of us are always moving towards BG at all times. What do you think?

Yes, I stop when the car gets hungry and that usually means 4 stops from my home to BG. My bladder is usually good for a fuel run stint.:sign10:

Tom

efnfast
03-18-2012, 06:59 AM
Tom, sounds good to me. Is there a landmark in Harrisburg? Rest area or something? I'm very unfamiluar with this area. What time?

Do I know John? Would be fine with me to hook up as we head south.

Google drags me right through the city. How is traffic at 6 am?

tomtom72
03-18-2012, 07:10 AM
No chit! They say that route is the quickest time wise to BG? Okay if that what Google says, I'll run a check & see what I come up with just to be sure.

If you use Google's map/route then NYC at 6AM is a bunt....but if we meet up it will be north of NYC and we will skirt NYC into NJ and get 78 to PA & points south.

John fr Albany = John D. our Northeast Regional Director & NCRS judge. If he don't post up soon, I'll PM him & ask what he's doing for BG.

Jez, I'm such a social butterfly!:o:sign10:

efnfast
03-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Actually, Dunbarton to BG took me the North route. Up to Buffalo and down through Ohio. I'll head for NYC. It's your stomping ground, pick the location and time, I'll be there.

tomtom72
03-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Actually, Dunbarton to BG took me the North route. Up to Buffalo and down through Ohio. I'll head for NYC. It's your stomping ground, pick the location and time, I'll be there.

No Chit Steve! Okay, well then so far it's you & I. So I'll scope out a meet point somewhere in lower Westchester county as that's where I am. We will meet and proceed south from that point. Yea, 6AM sounds like a good time to me, but you will advise me of what is comfortable with you and your wife....I remember that it is never too good a thing to aggravate the better half!:-D

I'll send a PM to John to learn his plans. He may not be attending as he is working now full time in his retirement. I'll hit up a few more people to see what plans they might have also.

Tom

efnfast
03-18-2012, 07:44 AM
If were passing close to you, maybe it would make more sence for me to call you when we're half hour away or so.

tomtom72
03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
If were passing close to you, maybe it would make more sence for me to call you when we're half hour away or so.

Yes Steve, I'm going to go scout some locations that will be easy and safe for you to pull over and meet up with me. When I have picked a location that qualifies I'll post up.

I've just been a bit busy lately with work so I haven't had the spare time to go out looking.

Tom

efnfast
03-21-2012, 07:23 AM
No sweat Tom, still plenty of time.:cheers:

:flag2:

efnfast
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh, BTW- new tires on Friday, and a dyno pull on Saturday. Headers aren't back from Swain Tech yet.

Steve

tomtom72
03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Oh, BTW- new tires on Friday, and a dyno pull on Saturday. Headers aren't back from Swain Tech yet.

Steve

Just curious on two counts: What number did she put down stock? Did/are you coating the entire exhaust system, headers + cat back?

I'm conflicted about coating the whole system, or at least everything except the mufflers. My reasoning, if you could call it that!:rolleyes: Is what happens to the gas stream after it leaves the coated header and enters the uncoated pipes & resonator? It has to loose heat & slow down causing what ill effects? Too much cabin heat comes to my mind besides a loss in scavenging efficiency? Stainless steel is a very good at transferring heat very quickly. What are your thoughts on this Steve?

Tom

efnfast
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Dyno this coming Saturday. I beleive the car is stock except for a K&N in the factory air box.

I'm only getting the headers coated. Unsure of the scavaging affects of hotter gasses. Mainly my thoughts were underhood heat and concern about wiring and such close to the headers. Cabin heat entered my mind, I gusee it was a money decision not to caot the entire exhaust. I can't imagine it would do any harm.

Here's the link to the dyno guy. This is for his live feed, I'll ask him if we can feed. Saturday the 24th at 8:30 is my appointement.

http://performance-dyno.com/dynocam.html

I guess we hope for the best.

I think I'll dyno again after the headers, exhaust, Marc chip, and new intake. It will be a little bit before I can do the intake and chip.:cheers:

jrd1990zr1
03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Tom, sounds good to me. Is there a landmark in Harrisburg? Rest area or something? I'm very unfamiluar with this area. What time?

Do I know John? Would be fine with me to hook up as we head south.

Google drags me right through the city. How is traffic at 6 am?

Hey Steve,

I think we met in Windsor a couple weekends ago. At this point I don't think I can make BG this year. Just started a new job and gotta save my leave for Carlisle.

If things change I'll post up.

John :cheers:

efnfast
03-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Bummer John, maybe I'll make Carlisle next year. I'll wake on my way through your neck of the woods.

tomtom72
04-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Okay Steve, I have been thinking on a meet point for you and I. I am thinking that you will be driving south on 95 in CT? I have picked a road, it's the Cross Westchester Expressway 287 Westbound. I will meet you on the off ramp at Exit 9 N-S. I will be on the shoulder of the ramp and we can meet there as it is wide enough to be out of harm's way.

Now I will get on to Doug from Mystic, as he is riding with me, to see if he is agreeable to meeting you on your way down 95 from his neck of the woods. I don't know what his preferences would be on this set up. It kind of makes sense to me if you and Doug convoy down 95 from Mystic to NY state. I figure it will take all of us about 45 minutes to hook up, drive down to my abode so I can drop off the DD & ride with Doug to where my Z lives and then get back after it. At the very worst we will be crossing the GW bridge into NJ & points south by about 7AM if we plan on a 6AM meet on the ramp off 287.

Of course this is subject to discussion so that we all can get comfortable with a plan that works for all of us.:mrgreen: I'm figuring that you had planned on hitting NY state/CT border at about 6AM? Or do I have that wrong? Did you figure on hitting the GW bridge at 6AM? There is a slight difference in that I'm about 30 minutes north of the GW bridge. Anyway, let me know what you think and had planned, okay?

Tom

efnfast
04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
My plan is to leave my house at 2:00A. I just made the trip to North Carolina this past weekend. I left at 2:00A and hit the GW about 6:30. I'm concerned about you sitting on the side of the ramp for too long. How is traffic in the city at that time of the morning? Shouldn't we be outside the city somewhere?

tomtom72
04-04-2012, 08:46 AM
My plan is to leave my house at 2:00A. I just made the trip to North Carolina this past weekend. I left at 2:00A and hit the GW about 6:30. I'm concerned about you sitting on the side of the ramp for too long. How is traffic in the city at that time of the morning? Shouldn't we be outside the city somewhere?

Sweet! The meet spot I picked is about 1/2 hr north of the GWB! Okay Steve, no worries about me on the side of the ramp. It's safe, that's why I picked that spot. Okay I'm thinking I may ask Doug to get to me earlier so we can park his car and get my Z and meet you on the ramp and be bookin' right from the ramp. I just hate to even back track, even a little!

Hey, do you use eazy-pass up where you live? You guys proly don't have any toll roads, right? I'll pick a route to the GWB that has no tolls! LOL We have sooo many toll roads down here, EZY-Pass is the only way to go!

Tom

efnfast
04-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Sounds good Tom, EZ Pass in every vehicle I own. It would be great if we could leave from there, don' forget, my day is going to be 4 hours longer than your's

efnfast
04-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Tom, is exit 9 off 95 or 287?

tomtom72
04-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Tom, is exit 9 off 95 or 287?
Steve,
Exit 9 N - S is off 287. I will send detailed mapquest link for this part. Briefly though, traveling south on 95 leaving CT and crossing the CT/NY border you will see a sign that says 287 west Tappan Zee Bridge/ White Plains, blah, blab and it is a right lane exit off of 95 south. That is your target, and exit 9 N-S is about 3 miles and it is a right lane exit. 9 N-S is labeled Hutchinson River Parkway N & S/ Westchester Ave/ White Plains/ 684 N Brewster. I will be on the ramp's shoulder.:wink:

I appreciate also that you will have a longer day than I. I'm sorry for failing to acknowledge that fact in my posts.:o In light of that, you will dictate the pace & stop schedule. I figure it will only take one pit stop to have our tanks synchronized. I figure perhaps by the meet point you should be at 1/2 tank or less. There is a Mobil station, along our route to the GWB, a short distance from the meet point which we can use if needed. I also have, as it's my home turff, a list of Shell stations along our route to the GWB.:thumbsup:

Tom

efnfast
04-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Nice Tom, sounds like a plan. I'm excited about this.:handshak:

Steve

efnfast
04-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Tom, when it comes time to really send directions, send them to my e-mail. Steve@SmithPumpNH.com.
Thanks Tom.

efnfast
04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Tom, do you have a set of two way radios, the little hand held jobbers? If not, I can mail you one, it would be a great way to communicate on the trip.

tomtom72
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Tom, do you have a set of two way radios, the little hand held jobbers? If not, I can mail you one, it would be a great way to communicate on the trip.

Why Yes I do ..... I just have to look around in my apt to find them!:sign10: They're buried under all my clutter ...somewhere!

efnfast
04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Let me know if you can't find it. My favorite channel is 4. The new radio's also have sub channels. I usually use 4.0. Let me know if this works.

tomtom72
04-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Okay Steve I found them and I'm charging them now. I am still looking for the instructions' book manual but they're in the chager and it appears to be charging them up....I know I can also use AA batts in them if the NiCad packs go belly up. I'll report back as soon as I have some charge in them.

Tom

efnfast
04-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Anybody else out there we can hook up with on the way? Mass, Conn, NY, Penn, Ohio, KY.

andersra
04-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Wish i could go.

ZZZZZR1
04-10-2012, 06:12 PM
We should be meeting up in WV and need to coordinate a place / time

Should be a few new guys coming too!!

David

FU
04-10-2012, 06:29 PM
I will need to hitch a ride this year :censored:

efnfast
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
David, if you've been keeping tabs on this post, Tom and I are hooking up in NY around the George Washington Bridge. Tuesday morning between 6:00 and 6:30. I don't know what the route will be from there. I'm game for 'bout anything, but it will be a long day for me and the wife.
Frank, sorry I can't help, wife takes up the passenger seat. And no, you can't take her place.

Steve

Mystic ZR-1
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Steve,
You've never met Frank...
Doug

efnfast
04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
And you've never met my wife, Terry.

Mystic ZR-1
04-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Looking forward to meeting her! I'll be riding "shotgun" w/Tom Tom, his ride may not be as pleasent as yours...!
Doug

efnfast
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Everybody needs a name tag with their handle on it. Seems we all know each other by our screen names.

BigJohn
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Looking forward to meeting her! I'll be riding "shotgun" w/Tom Tom, his ride may not be as pleasent as yours...!
Doug

And now your wheels go round and round!!!

tomtom72
04-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Doug

I thought that you were going to be asleep till we got to Lexington? :p

Frank, what happened!? Now I wish I had a Mclaren F1...Yea, right! In my dreams....:mrgreen: Seriously though, what's up with your fleet?

Dave what's up with the WAZOO plans for getting to BG?:happy1: Yea, yea, I'll go look in the southeast section for the thread.:redface:

Tom

ZZZZZR1
04-11-2012, 09:48 AM
And now your wheels go round and round!!!

John is bringing "the purple monster", yes????

:-D

David

Mystic ZR-1
04-11-2012, 10:15 AM
"I thought that you were going to be asleep till we got to Lexington?" :p

Passed out is more like it!!!

tomtom72
04-13-2012, 07:29 AM
"I thought that you were going to be asleep till we got to Lexington?" :p

Passed out is more like it!!!

That's cool, my car is fairly quiet. You will be beat, just like Steve. I get to sleep to at least 4AM. You, on the other hand, will have to do without a good night's sleep to meet me early enough so we may meet Steve in the Z and leave straight away from the meet point. I figure you need to be at my house by 5AM so we can go get my Z & go to meet Steve by 6 - 6:30AM. Are we having fun yet!:sign10:

Tom

Hey Big John, are you coming to BG with us?

BigJohn
04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
That's cool, my car is fairly quiet. You will be beat, just like Steve. I get to sleep to at least 4AM. You, on the other hand, will have to do without a good night's sleep to meet me early enough so we may meet Steve in the Z and leave straight away from the meet point. I figure you need to be at my house by 5AM so we can go get my Z & go to meet Steve by 6 - 6:30AM. Are we having fun yet!:sign10:

Tom

Hey Big John, are you coming to BG with us?

No, I have been there!
When at the Museum someone broke off my driverside mirror and pulled out my rubber widow seal!!!!
At this time I still don't feel good about going there.
:-x

BigJohn
04-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Doug,
This coming weekend is the Callaway gathering at the Museum!
Randy most likely will not be there for the ZR1 gathering.
The Callaway special collection should be there until July; with all the little fishes.
;)