PDA

View Full Version : ZR1 in South Africa

Hoekie
03-10-2012, 11:56 AM
It has always been a dream to own a Corvette, and I have now eventually managed to get one, I was actually looking for a late model C3 but then the ZR1 appeard in a local classifieds site.
I started to do some research and quickly realized it was time to forget about the C3
I then made a deal with the owner to hang on to the car for me to come and look, (nearly 500 miles away)
Well to cut a long story short, I went to look, bought it, and drove it home!!!!!!:-D

It is a Black on black 1990 number 867, with nearly 70k miles on it.
It has got a set of headers fitted, DRM coil over suspension, but for the rest I believe it is stock.
There are quite a few small things to be repaired but that is part of why I call it my "Toy" because I enjoy slowly getting it all sorted out, keeps me out of mischief!!![-X
Some of the things that need repairing are:

Vacuum pump
O2 sensors
Parking brake lever
Oil leak on the gearbox back seal
PCV system
FX3 system was removed but most of the part are there.
So as you can see nothing really major.

At the moment Im aware of 2 other ZR1's in the country but also only from photo's, one of which is really in stunning condition.

FU
03-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Welcome. You have come to the right place for information on the ZR1 :handshak:

tomtom72
03-11-2012, 07:28 AM
The black 90's are the quickest, but then you knew that! :razz:

Welcome to our corner of the asylum!:wave:

:cheers:
Tom

efnfast
03-11-2012, 07:36 AM
Tom, I must agree, the black 90's are definately the best looking and most fun.

XfireZ51
03-11-2012, 09:24 AM
If you need a vacuum pump or PCV fittings, I have some.

ZZZZZR1
03-11-2012, 02:24 PM
It has always been a dream to own a Corvette, and I have now eventually managed to get one, I was actually looking for a late model C3 but then the ZR1 appeard in a local classifieds site.
I started to do some research and quickly realized it was time to forget about the C3
I then made a deal with the owner to hang on to the car for me to come and look, (nearly 500 miles away)
Well to cut a long story short, I went to look, bought it, and drove it home!!!!!!:-D

It is a Black on black 1990 number 867, with nearly 70k miles on it.
It has got a set of headers fitted, DRM coil over suspension, but for the rest I believe it is stock.
There are quite a few small things to be repaired but that is part of why I call it my "Toy" because I enjoy slowly getting it all sorted out, keeps me out of mischief!!![-X
Some of the things that need repairing are:

Vacuum pump
O2 sensors
Parking brake lever
Oil leak on the gearbox back seal
PCV system
FX3 system was removed but most of the part are there.
So as you can see nothing really major.

At the moment Im aware of 2 other ZR1's in the country but also only from photo's, one of which is really in stunning condition.

You should start up a new thread and ask about getting some parts

Parts are available and fairly reasonable!

Cheers

David

Blue Flame Restorations
03-11-2012, 07:24 PM
You should start up a new thread and ask about getting some parts

Parts are available and fairly reasonable!

Cheers

David

I agree with Dave. I would be willing to help in any way I can. I'm sure others would as well. :cheers:

FU
03-11-2012, 08:16 PM
Post up Geno. We are here to help !

Hoekie
03-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi Guys Thanks for the welcome I really appreciate it.
This weekend the O2 sensors and the vacuum pump went in and I stripped the 4 speakers out because only one works (Sort off) I have found someone who will change the caps for me.
The only thing I cant find at the moment is the rubber hose running at the back of the cylinder heads that holds the 2 PCV's There was one on E bay but they wanted $120 for that excluding shipping!!!!
David I sent you my E mail I think :redface: Tried to use the Email system for the first time.
Will keep the thread up dated as I progress, First priority is to get the car registered in my name, so need to pass a South African "roadworthy" test
Fortunately NO SMOG tests :-D

Gunny
03-17-2012, 01:25 PM
Congratulations on your "new" ZR-1. You will truly enjoy this Corvette and as previously mentioned, you have come to right place for a wealth of knowledge about this unique vehicle.

I recommend that you consider joining and becoming an active member of the ZR-1 Net Registry. Membership opens up even more areas of information such as the quarterly newsletter, the 'members only' area of the main website, member t-shirts, window decals for your car and more.

Joining is easy. Go to the Registry Store (http://zr1netregistry.com/store/), create an account, click on New Member, fill out the info and you're done.

Again, congrats on your Z and we hope to see you as a full-fledged member of the Registry in the near future.

George Jones

Hoekie
03-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Thanks :handshak: I have actually registered in the "store" and also tried to purchase some t shirts but had a problem when I got to the step where I had to pay, I have sent a mail asking about it.
Unfortunately had to spend most of the day at work so no time to go and "play" with the toy in the garage, still have a few jobs I need to do before I can register the car in my name. :cry:

scottfab
05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Would love to see pics of your car maybe with a South African view in the background.

Hoekie
05-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I promise as soon as I have it mobile agian I will take some pics of the car.
Of the list mentioned earlier I have managed to do most of the stuff.
The vacuum pump done and working
FX3 motors fitted to all the shocks again.
Replaced snaprings supporting coil over springs, some of the snaprings were broken.
Replaced gearbox rear oil seal
Replaced the O2 sensors and sorted out the mess with the wiring because of the headers.
Replaced the emergency brake handle
Sorted out the broken tubes on the driver seat lumber support system
Removed the air system to the headers.
Busy with the hood release handle and cables.
Busy making up a new tube for the PCV valves.
Cleaned out the seatbelt reel as suggested elsewhere
The problem is this all takes a lot longer as I have to get all the spares from the US (Rockauto and Ebay mostly)
The other major influence is also work, have been very busy there, but I suppose that has to pay for the Toy ;)