PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight flywheel

dodgerroger
03-19-2004, 10:03 PM
:???: Can anybody tell me what I can expect if swapping out the factory flywheel for a lightweight Fidanza that is neutrally balanced? I've heard stories about extra gear type noise at idle. Also can I expect an appreciable performance difference on an otherwise stock 94 ZR1?

Maciek
06-17-2005, 08:09 PM
The stories about extra gear type noise is true (not only at idle also during 1000-2000 rpm), I know becuse I have Fidnanza flywhell and because that noise I thinking about rechanging to stock. Performance difference...maybe (it's hard to feel it).

WB9MCW
06-18-2005, 09:18 AM
the conversion does result in a very noisy gear rattle sound...at idle(unless clutch pushed in) it is almost embarrassing..when lugging the engine(low rpms,,,ie around corners slow traffic areas ect.) and when starting off in 1st and in 2nd gear just for a bit after the gear shift....that being said I still dont mind since I did a ceramic clutch upgrade...and I can rev higher/faster do to lower mass and dump the clutch at 3500 vs stock 2500rpm dumps...the resulting burnout is unbelivable...(did a custom chip as well..with fans going on at 190f vs the stupid 230f stock)...she burns rubber all the way through 1st...squacks into second and chirps into third....never did she do that b4 that is for sure!!!! I love the performance enhancemant...but I have to say the gear rattle...more of a rut....rut...rut...rut...sound is very annoying to say the least(the rattle is the gears and syncros in the zf truck tranny...now that u dont have a balanced dual mass flywheel) the good news is that dm flywheels do go out and are big $$$(although some bargins on used and rebuildt ones do exist)so doing the conversion does put the stock one on the shelf for the next owner if they ever wanted to go back to the quiet stock arrangement.. All said I love the performance enhancement but hate the noise...typical of life always a tradeoff...My best friend and my pro mechanic and a c5 owner (Big Mike) said no way he could live with it if it were his vette...but then again he would get a lot of static from others(being a shop owner..repair shop)...and everyone would bug him on it... It sounds like a pilot bearing gone bad...and gearheads can't help but notice and comment...LOL so if u can take the ribbing..and have a strong ego(like me)(dont give a crap about what others think..just care abt what I like) then go for it...if u worry abt what others will say or think and give u a hard time abt it..then stay stock...cause belive me they will look, gawk, talk,question, and comment how they could never tolerate this bloody noise then stay with ur stock balanced dual mass flywheel...but if u want a quick revving,,bad-***,,hard pounding gear shifting,,,rubber squeeling ZR-1 then go for it!!! Just IMO but I'll take the Hi-Po ceramic clutch and noisy rut,rut,rut anyday!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

ernbuild
10-17-2008, 05:20 PM
the conversion does result in a very noisy gear rattle sound...at idle(unless clutch pushed in) it is almost embarrassing..when lugging the engine(low rpms,,,ie around corners slow traffic areas ect.) and when starting off in 1st and in 2nd gear just for a bit after the gear shift....that being said I still dont mind since I did a ceramic clutch upgrade...and I can rev higher/faster do to lower mass and dump the clutch at 3500 vs stock 2500rpm dumps...the resulting burnout is unbelivable...(did a custom chip as well..with fans going on at 190f vs the stupid 230f stock)...she burns rubber all the way through 1st...squacks into second and chirps into third....never did she do that b4 that is for sure!!!! I love the performance enhancemant...but I have to say the gear rattle...more of a rut....rut...rut...rut...sound is very annoying to say the least(the rattle is the gears and syncros in the zf truck tranny...now that u dont have a balanced dual mass flywheel) the good news is that dm flywheels do go out and are big $$$(although some bargins on used and rebuildt ones do exist)so doing the conversion does put the stock one on the shelf for the next owner if they ever wanted to go back to the quiet stock arrangement.. All said I love the performance enhancement but hate the noise...typical of life always a tradeoff...My best friend and my pro mechanic and a c5 owner (Big Mike) said no way he could live with it if it were his vette...but then again he would get a lot of static from others(being a shop owner..repair shop)...and everyone would bug him on it... It sounds like a pilot bearing gone bad...and gearheads can't help but notice and comment...LOL so if u can take the ribbing..and have a strong ego(like me)(dont give a crap about what others think..just care abt what I like) then go for it...if u worry abt what others will say or think and give u a hard time abt it..then stay stock...cause belive me they will look, gawk, talk,question, and comment how they could never tolerate this bloody noise then stay with ur stock balanced dual mass flywheel...but if u want a quick revving,,bad-***,,hard pounding gear shifting,,,rubber squeeling ZR-1 then go for it!!! Just IMO but I'll take the Hi-Po ceramic clutch and noisy rut,rut,rut anyday!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

Yep all of the above, will just add that I found 6 gear a little more user friendly and a little less in first. But hell it revs past 8ooo rpm in the blink of an eye, and I wanted performance, and got it. :handshak:

XfireZ51
10-17-2008, 06:23 PM
If I do get gear rattle, its at idle. Absolutely do not have noise at any another point of rpm scale. Even at idle, rattle can be significantly mitigated by proper tuning. That's one of the ways I can tell if the idle tune is a bit off. The more even the cylinder pulses the less noise you get. It becomes more pronounced at idle after a hard run. The type of trans lube will also make a diff. I use Castrol 10-60W I get from the BMW dealer.

Chris_32212
10-20-2008, 03:22 AM

so your saying that your not supposed to dump the clutch on the stock setup higher than 2500RPMs??? thats the first i have heard about this. lol. maybe that explains why i ended up putting in the light weight fly in the first place. lol. i only did it once but i dumped the clutch at 5000 or so and did a big o burn out and then drove it home and parked it. next day i came out to start it and found the clutch fork broke. dont think that could have been what broke the clutch fork but it kinda makes me curious. :redface:

to answer the question.. i put a stage two clutch in it from carolina clutch along with my fidanza fly. i also had them put the SW headers, magnaflow metal core cats, and B&B exhaust in it so of course i noticed a HUGE difference. i think being up here at 5000 feet was causing my motor to not really like to climb into the higher RPMs but it screams to the rev limiter now. I think you will notice the power difference. My exhaust is pretty loud but I don’t hear the gear noise at all. One thing I also noticed is that I have to rev the motor a little higher before letting out the clutch to get the car rolling. The motor has a lot less rotating mass so its way easier to slow it down or kill it. I killed mine about four times trying to get out of the parking lot after I had it put in. that was way more embarrassing then a little gear noise would have been. Lol. but I recommend the fidanza flywheel. Great bang for the buck upgrade and there aren’t too many of those for this car.:thumbsup:

Chris