PDA

View Full Version : Not a part, not tech...best set of tools ?

falconfling
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
If this question best elsewhere I guess we can move it..but wondering...

If you want a good set of tools, sockets and open end wrenches...
not wilda** expensive, like snapon, etc.
not Chinese, Taiwanese or any other 'ese',

where should I be looking.:confused:

Right now, I've got 40 years of good, bad and indifferent all mixed together. Even a half inch drive and sockets marked USMC, my dads contribution from WWII surplus.

Aurora40
04-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I like Craftsman because they are reasonably priced, I can easily get or replace them, they have a solid warranty that is easy to execute, and they are (for the most part) made in the US.

RICHARD TILL
04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
SAME AS ABOVE. BEEN WRENCHING FOR 35 YEARS AND CRAFTSMAN TOOLS ARE MY FAVORITE.

tomtom72
04-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Just another vote for craftsman/sears tools. If you live near sears you can't beat the ease of warranty & if the store has a big tool section you have as much as a snap-on or mack or matco truck has for inventory.

If you have a H/D by you they have a nice small selection and I guess a Lowes probably has some good stuff also. I also find that the parts stores also have a good selection of special application tools, like autozone had the right lenght torx bits for the plenum bolts.

Back in the early 70's snap-on had a corner on a patent for socket design so they were tops then, I still have a set of deep & shallow but the gear ratio on their rachets stunk...I prefered sears rachets except for the handle design. Now you can find snap-on ergonomically designed rachets at sears & auto zone. Same thing with the open end / box wrenchs' handles. You want comfortable tools that fit well in your hand, everyone uses snap-on's "flank drive" concept now. Oh, don't cheap out on the screw drivers either, you want hardened tips or you will destroy screw heads! Sorry to ramble!

:cheers:
Tom

Z Factor
04-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I also agree with everyone that said Craftsman.

Tom
04-05-2006, 10:17 AM
I have mostly Craftsman as well except for a few specialty tools that I could only find at Mac or Snap-On.

Z Factor
04-05-2006, 10:20 AM
I have mostly Craftsman as well except for a few specialty tools that I could only find at Mac or Snap-On.

I think most tool boxes are like yours, and the high end tool companies fill those needs very well.

Z Factor
04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Right now, I've got 40 years of good, bad and indifferent all mixed together.

I meant to mention that you should weed out your "bad" tools since they always give you a false sense of security. Just when you need a tool that is bad, you realize it will not do the job. So what I did years ago was separate my good, fair, and bad tools. I cleaned up my good ones, replaced any that were missing, and used them in the garage. The fair tools I put in a cheap portable tool box and keep them in the SUV. The bad tools(not broken) I donated to a local charity that helps the homeless get into cheap housing. I figured if I were in that position, I'd like old rusty tools better than not having any at all. Any stripped or broken tools went into the recycling bin or the trash.

Over the years I've been much happier as a result.

Jeffvette
04-05-2006, 12:56 PM

I agree, mostly Craftsman with some snap on stuff.

falconfling
04-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies/ideas.

Gary