PDA

View Full Version : Inf Rest light stays on>>>

ZR1Vette
12-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Ran diagnostics via ALDL (Grnd + K pin) and get a code 16... according to the manual that is Front Sensor #1 (LH); Sensor Fault

To me LH obviously means Left Hand which would be the sensor under the battery tray... correct? In the Trouble Shooting section of the ZR-1 Registry KBase posted a DIY Inf Rest Light on 1990 jCorvettes and states a code 16 is for the sensor on the RIGHT side under the windshield wiper water reservoir... I tend to believe the manual of course, but want to make sure my assumption is correct.

Also, when code 16 states "sensor fault" (as per the manual) is that a failed sensor (thus needs replacing) or is it the corrosion issue of the sensor to chassis contact points?

Thanks for any insights!

GOLDCYLON
12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Hopefully its just a cororsion issue at the frame. a little cleaning preping and dyelectric grease should take care of it. Make sure you clean the Front #1 Sensor and the mounting seurface and use the grease between the uniframe and the sensor. Remove all the rust

LH according to GM and my understanding refers to the Driver side of the car. I have seen numerious GM LT-5 Diagrams and the LH side is always the drivers side.

also after performing this function dont forget to clear out the codes. Since you dont have a tech-1 but a trusty paperclip

Make sure the ignition is off before you start

Ground the ALDL Termal A to K. A is the grounding terminal BTW

Turn the ignition on and wait for the INFL Rest light to start flashing (It should take about 5-7 Seconds)

When it starts flashing unplug the A-K for about 3 seconds then ground it again for an additional 3 seconds.

Remove and wait about ten seconds and ground it once more

You should see a code 12 flashing 6 times indication the codes have been cleared and the DERM is operating normally (Dignostic Energy Reserve Module)

Good luck. GC

ZR-1nce removed
12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Michael,
When I had the same problem, Gordon K told me to ignore the manual and clean and replace the sensor under the washer reservoir on the right side. My light has never come back on. I would start there...

GOLDCYLON
12-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Actually that would be a Code 26 Front Sensor #2 RH side sensor.

For GP I would service both sides. I would not however ignore the codes the car set. I would start with the LH first as indicated. GC

tomtom72
12-04-2011, 06:59 AM
one more from the peanut gallery....usually it's the grounding issue. The sensors are fairly simple inside so usually they are not likely the cause of the DTC.

The clearing codes procedure is somewhat troublesome. The timing on the grounding and ungrounding the pin has about 1,5 second window. If you have a Tech1A then it's no sweat. If not, I used a stop watch and rigged up a door bell button to do the mechanical work of grounding. The real key is the timing, or at least that's what I found.

Oh, and the passenger side sensor is a bit tuff to work on and it appears that the washer bottle should come out. That is one way, but you can get it without removing the bottle. It just takes some patience.

:cheers:
Tom

jrd1990zr1
12-04-2011, 09:38 AM
You should also check the connector inside the car under the rug in the foot well. My codes would not clear until I cleaned the connector with electrical contact cleaner. Then the derm reset.

ZR1Vette
12-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys... between your pointers, the service manual and the Tech Tips I am ready to tackle the project. I will take pics and write something up as to what I find/do.

ZR1Vette
12-06-2011, 08:09 AM
In this picture (LH side with battery removed) can the air bag (LH) sensor be seen? or is it buried behind/under battery tray>>>

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/MRBLU/ZR1batteryremoved.jpg

Thanks

tomtom72
12-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Mike, The sensor can only be seen if you are standing up. It is just beyond the front inner edge of the battery tray. On the frame rail, buried under a wiring harness and up against the wheel house liner. It is hidden and it's black in color so it matches the frame rail and hides pretty good. Great camo job by the factory.

Where the mess of wires is in the photo look on the frame in that spot. I just thought of this....senile old fool that I am. I may not be remembering correctly, you may have to remove the battery tray...I can't remember it's been so long. I know I had to look for it as it hides so well...sorry Mike!

ZR1Vette
12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Tom...
Not senile :) since you remember exactly what has been written etc. Just was trying to find out where the sensor is in more specific terms and you have done that...
Thanks

jrd1990zr1
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Michael,

When I did mine I pulled the battery tray on the drivers side and the washer bottle on the passenger side. Makes locating easier.

Here is a picture of the passenger side so you can see what they look like. Drivers side looks the same.

John

tomtom72
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Okay Ricky has the powder coat thing going on....but yours has to be the most OEM clean ZR-1 I have ever seen Mike.

Mine looks like it belongs in a used car lot, but then I have 51k now.:sign10:

Did you locate the sensor....wait till you try to dig out the passenger side one! Oh joy & fun!

Tom

bdw18_123
12-08-2011, 12:28 AM
I just went through this same thing also. My Infl Rest light was always on, so I cleaned the grounds on both LH and RH sensors, but since the light was still on after that, I thought there was another issue. At the time, I didn't know that you had to also clear the codes to see if the repair you did worked. So I just didn't mess with it for awhile.

Then after reading the SIR section of the service manual, I realized I needed to clear the codes too. So I did and now, no light! :thumbsup:

Mine had three codes:

16 - Front sensor #1 (LH); sensor fault
26 - Front sensor #2 (RH); sensor fault
42 - Indicator lamp circuit; open circuit

That last one I think got triggered because I may have turned the ignition on to check something back when I had the dash all apart and the DIC was out. My passenger side sensor looks newer than the other one, so I think it was replaced.

So now as it should be, the only light I see on the DIC is the "FULL ENGINE POWER" light. I like that about the '90 ZR-1's, they are the only year Z that has that light in the DIC.

a1991zr1
12-08-2011, 12:41 AM
i too had to clean the sensor and have never had another issue:USFlag:

GOLDCYLON
12-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Update?

ZR1Vette
12-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Nothing...will do the project this weekend. With the help here and service manual should be no problems (so he says :) )

ZR1Vette
12-11-2011, 03:13 PM
UPDATE: tackled project on Saturday and glad to announce it was light corrosion and was able to correct and clear the #16 trouble code. I did a detailed write up with pictures and will be sending to Dave and Jim V for them to look at...

Oh...since I don't bend into awkward positions well and to clear trouble codes via the ALDL, I replaced the 'PCJS' (Paper Clip Jumper System) with a simple device... cost a total of $2 (12v mini switch from Radio Shack)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/MRBLU/ALDLjumper.jpg

Now simple plug in
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/MRBLU/ALDLplugwithID.jpg

and while sitting in the drivers seat can do the 'ground and un-ground' protocols with a push of a button and watch the DIC at the same time :dancing

jrd1990zr1
12-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Michael,

Where did you locate the pins to use in the ALDL?

Are they a GM part #?

I've got to make one with the push button. Would be alot easier to reset the system with that

Thanks, :cheers:

VetteVet
12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Michael,

Where did you locate the pins to use in the ALDL?

Are they a GM part #?

I've got to make one with the push button. Would be alot easier to reset the system with that

Thanks, :cheers:

Looks like crimp type spade terminals with one of the tines cut off?

Just a guess.

ZR1Vette
12-12-2011, 05:21 AM
In Radio Shack speak called 'Insulated Crimp-on Pin Connector'>>

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/MRBLU/minipinconnector.jpg

The easy way is to make sure you get ones that the 'pin' part is the same diameter as a large paper clip metal diameter. Now, in my case, I had some of the connectors on hand (as shown in the pic above) and the pin was too large in diameter to fit into the ALDL terminal blocks. I simply cut off the pin (at the point where the red line is in the pic) then slipped the wire into the insulated end and a short piece of large paper clip metal into the other end and crimped. Just for added strength (and I guess not really necessary) I placed some solder where the wire and paper clip section crossed in the little 'cup' area just to the left of the red line in the pic.

Obviously, easy way is just get the correct size pin connector that will work in the ALDL :rolleyes:

HAWAIIZR-1
12-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Man, I am jealous. I don't have any codes so it seems the DERM is toast. Thanks for sharing.........this is great!

Scrrem
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Well, my INFL light came on last week and it's throwing a code 16, so thanks to Michael's excellent write-up above, I will be performing this task on Sunday...WOOHOO!!
Rich

scottfab
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
FYI here are no less than three TechNet articles addressing the INFL REST issue:

1. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Information/TechNet/tabid/109/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1735/INFL-REST-fix.aspx

2. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Information/TechNet/tabid/109/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/113/Fixing-the-INFL-REST-light.aspx

3. http://www.zr1netregistry.com/Information/TechNet/tabid/109/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/56/Inflatable-Restraint-Light-INFL-Rest.aspx