PDA

View Full Version : EX5014 Paint

Tyler Townsley
10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Took Queenie to a guy who does high end paint on Corvettes (Mike Coletta) for some minor work on hood where the poles on a tent scratched her in the windstorm several ago at Carslile. His first words were 'Jesus who painted this car it can't be factory.' After lots of conversation including 'its original' I have come to the following conclusion.
1. The hood front end and hoop were done in the BG prodiction shop and are better quality than the doors, quarters and back facia.
2. The doors and quarters are fiberglass and were done by hand in a messy way as was the back facia. Mike knows his paint and pointed out what supports this conclusion. The paint surface was not cleaned very well before being painted and shows surface problems. The 'look' is typical of a hand held gun using single stage paint.
3. The surface paint on the rear from front doors back is quite different from what is on the hood.

His advice is don't touch the paint as it is, he is going to minimize what he does to correct the hood scratches but the paint supports what the cat is: a prototype ment for road evaluation not for some show purposes. He like me really likes the story and existence of the car.

Tyler

LGAFF
10-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I would agree, your car is incredible! Ultimate ZR-1!

QB93Z
10-25-2011, 12:29 PM
Great explanation Tyler, thanks.

Jim

Blue Flame Restorations
10-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Looks as it should........a great example of a prototype.