PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaner

Dime
10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I've got polished (not painted, not chromed) a-molds, and regular car soap and elbow gress isn't working. Any suggestions?

Kevin
10-10-2011, 06:18 PM
what are you trying to do to them? clean? shine?

Dylan@Adams
10-10-2011, 07:20 PM
You're best choice is a ph neutral soap for maintenance cleaning, so you've been doing right by sticking with that. Heavier chemicals will cloud/discolor polished aluminum faster than you can blink so you have to be very careful.

That being said, what specifically isn't working about the soap/water? Do you have heavier brake dust contamination or some other problem?

Dime
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
what are you trying to do to them? clean? shine?
Both

You're best choice is a ph neutral soap for maintenance cleaning, so you've been doing right by sticking with that. Heavier chemicals will cloud/discolor polished aluminum faster than you can blink so you have to be very careful.

That being said, what specifically isn't working about the soap/water? Do you have heavier brake dust contamination or some other problem?

Yeah, the idea of using chemicals bothered me. I bought a bottle of mothers wheel cleaner, and before I used it I decided to look up some reviews and one mentioned it discoloring the wheel. Needless to say, it's going back to walmart.

A little bit of break dust, but what's really not coming off is what looks like water spots. Corrosion maybe?

Kevin
10-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Both

Yeah, the idea of using chemicals bothered me. I bought a bottle of mothers wheel cleaner, and before I used it I decided to look up some reviews and one mentioned it discoloring the wheel. Needless to say, it's going back to walmart.

A little bit of break dust, but what's really not coming off is what looks like water spots. Corrosion maybe?

you can check out www.autopia.org and see what people are using and ask questions. it's the cats meow of detailing forums

Dylan@Adams
10-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Both

You can actually try claying if its just surface contamination. A lot of times that will remedy it. Don't need any specific clay... whatever type you currently use for your paint - break off a chunk and go at your wheels with it.

Follow up with a quick polishing to shine them up and finish off with your preferred wax. That'll keep them shining and easier to clean as well.