PDA

View Full Version : 9:11 9-11 RUN

Corvettes White
08-24-2011, 10:51 PM
9:11 9-11 RUN :flag:

In respect of 9-11, a number of Corvette owners are going on a run with flags flying from their cars.

It will be from west to east on the ridge of the San Gabriel Mountains and into the San Bernardino Mountains.

WHEN: Sunday 9-11.

PRESTAGING for Orange County: Anaheim Angles Stadium parking lot in the Metrolink area, Katella entrance. Arrive between 7:45 and 8:00 am. Depart at 8:11.

STAGING for Run: Glendora Park at the base of the mountains, in La Caῆada-Flintridge. Park is on State Highway 2 just north of the I-210 freeway a few blocks. Arrive between 8:45 and 9:00. Depart 9:11 on 9-11.

THE TRIP: We anticipate a stop every 15 to 30 minutes. Among the stops are; The Haramokanga Indian Center, Mount Wilson Observatory, Newcomb’s for a slightly early lunch, Wrightwood, and past the Mormon Rocks. At this point, those that need to go on can get on I-15. There are no earlier roads toward LA. We will then continue across the Cajon Pass toward Lake Silverwood on the way up to Crestline. This will be the second jump off point with those having an evening date. Down to the bottom of Waterman Canyon where the Arrowhead is on the side of a mountain, on State Highway 18 a few miles north of the 210. Yes, there really is an Arrowhead Spring. For those still wanting to run, on toward, Blue Jay, Lake Arrowhead, Running Springs, and finally Big Bear Lake. Good place for a dinner. Then down the mountain by what route is elected toward I-10 and Redlands. And from the bottom of the mountain each to his own.

DURATION: Expect six or so hours to Crestline and the bottom of the hill. Longer if to Big Bear.

CONDITIONS: This is a high mountain run to above 7900 feet. It is all on good paved public roads, however, the roads are older, mostly one lane in each direction, and twisty. It is common for cars to go WAY over the edge of the road. We are not intending to drive hard. There is limited repair service and fuel. Cell phone service is not available for much of the route. WC facilities are what Smokey Bear provides except for a few of the stops. Expect some LEO’s on the first portion of the run to Mt. Wilson and very few cars after that. A bit more traffic then after Crestline. Expect bicyclists in spandex also when we are closer to LA. Some fantastic views toward the high desert and into the San Bernardino Valley. Small pets are likely to be taken away from you by Hawks. And those without sunscreen are likely to get a dark tan if their tops are down. Also, for those that have not been there for some time, between the bark beetle and fires the tree canopy is much reduced.

FUEL: Shell station on State Highway 2 just south of I-210. And in Wrightwood and Crestline. Then at the bottom of Waterman Canyon. Also in Lake Arrowhead, Running Springs and Big Bear. Nothing after that until you hit the valley floor.

WHAT TO DO: Please post here if you intend to come. Then just show up. Post questions here also.

Corvettes White
09-11-2011, 12:11 AM
:fahne:

WB9MCW
09-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Hope your event goes well - great vette outing for sure - looking fwd to the pic's!

I have been on those roads before years ago and just love the drive up to Big Bear and Victorville.

Maybe another KOTH or 2 will show up!