PDA

View Full Version : Nice write up on Michael Beal?s 1991 ZR-1 Roadster!

Jagdpanzer
07-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Nice write up by Scott Teeters on Michael Beal's 1991 ZR-1 Roadster.
Check it out!!

Michael Beal's 1991 ZR-1 Roadster (http://www.corvettereport.com/michael-beal%e2%80%99s-1991-zr-1-roadster/)

http://www.corvettereport.com/home/corvette/public_html/CorvetteReport/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/2011/07/Beal_ZR-1_Roadster-1a1.jpg

Meanmyz
07-28-2011, 06:49 PM
I remember seeing this car in Vette Magazine back in the early/mid nineties. It was in the annual ladies issue. I still have the magazine. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I will post the picture up here for Michael, if he ventures onto our site and is interested.

It is the August 1994 issue. The beautiful lady standing by the car in her swimsuit (wow) it says is Elizabeth Bartschi of Chico, CA. She wanted the power of the ZR-1 with the benefits of a convertible so she had Metalcrafters of Newport Beach "hack off the top" and make some engine and suspension mods and "voila"!

Very nice car Michael!

Michael Beal
08-01-2011, 02:54 AM
Great find! I'm looking for any information regarding my car and any articles would really be helpful. Do you (or anyone else out there) have a copy of this article? If so, I have to get my hands on it. Thanks much for your vigilance.

I remember seeing this car in Vette Magazine back in the early/mid nineties. It was in the annual ladies issue. I still have the magazine. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I will post the picture up here for Michael, if he ventures onto our site and is interested.

It is the August 1994 issue. The beautiful lady standing by the car in her swimsuit (wow) it says is Elizabeth Bartschi of Chico, CA. She wanted the power of the ZR-1 with the benefits of a convertible so she had Metalcrafters of Newport Beach "hack off the top" and make some engine and suspension mods and "voila"!

Very nice car Michael!

Meanmyz
08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Michael,

Here is the article. Enjoy!

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/meanmyz/Scan10034.jpg

Here is the magazine it came from. If you look on Ebay, I am sure you will find a copy. (I'd give you mine, but I have kept all the Vette Mags that weren't worth throwing - mostly up to around '96, which was kind of Vette's heyday when they had good contributers and before editorialship changed.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/meanmyz/Scan10035.jpg

Meanmyz
08-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Michael,

This article, of course was published in '94, and you say that Dr. Bartschi's wife was killed in '91 during the Silver State Classic (or road race like it). Was it "Elizabeth" from this article? - picture maybe published posthumously??.

gbrtng
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Scott Teeters seems to have moved the Firestone (now Bridgestone) facility where the record runs were from Fort Stockton Texas to Arizona. Maybe he'll move it back soon.

He wrote:
"It is worth reminding readers that in March 1990, a race-prepared, Morrison Motorsports ZR-1 shattered records at the 7.71-mile Firestone Tire test track in Arizona with an AVERAGE 24-hour speed of 175.885-MPH!!!"

Michael Beal
08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks much! I did see the issue on E-Bay and ponied up $15. for it. What was it that PE Barnum said? I appreciate your vigilance - I can't fill in the blanks without good folks like you.

Michael,

Here is the article. Enjoy!

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/meanmyz/Scan10034.jpg

Here is the magazine it came from. If you look on Ebay, I am sure you will find a copy. (I'd give you mine, but I have kept all the Vette Mags that weren't worth throwing - mostly up to around '96, which was kind of Vette's heyday when they had good contributers and before editorialship changed.

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/meanmyz/Scan10035.jpg

Michael Beal
08-02-2011, 03:16 PM
The doctors wife's name is Jean - I suspect this is their daughter. Without benefit of contact with Dr. Bartschi, I'm now wondering if this is something he did for his daughter. Perhaps bought her the car and later had it converted when she wanted a convertible. This might explain why the '91 car has later model "gills".

Michael,

This article, of course was published in '94, and you say that Dr. Bartschi's wife was killed in '91 during the Silver State Classic (or road race like it). Was it "Elizabeth" from this article? - picture maybe published posthumously??.

Michael Beal
08-02-2011, 03:25 PM
The doctors wife's name is Jean - I suspect this is their daughter. Without benefit of contact with Dr. Bartschi, I'm now wondering if this is something he did for his daughter. Perhaps bought her the car and later had it converted when she wanted a convertible. This might explain why the '91 car has later model "gills".
Addendum; Just looking at the posted pic - a bit low quality. Those might not be the later "gills" that are now on the car. As you can see, I'm still trying to put the puzzle together (and you've been a big help.)

Meanmyz
08-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Addendum; Just looking at the posted pic - a bit low quality. Those might not be the later "gills" that are now on the car. As you can see, I'm still trying to put the puzzle together (and you've been a big help.)

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/meanmyz/Scan10036b.jpg

Michael Beal
08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks. Much better pic - can now see that they are the original "gills", the seats also appear original, and there is no air intake opening where the license plate should be. I'm puzzled over the timeline on some of the work. It would appear that the second owner, an Arkansas doctor, made some additions.

-=Jeff=-
08-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Hey I think I have that Issue of VETTE at home

FU
08-03-2011, 01:42 PM
That's a honey........nice car too might I add !

Meanmyz
08-04-2011, 10:00 AM
That's a honey........nice car too might I add !

I wholeheartedly agree Frank! ...all these models that you see that have their pictures taken with cars, well...she looked to be the real deal. A real ZR-1 enthusiast!

Michael, glad I could help out!

Michael Beal
08-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Again - many thanks for your direction. I now have the magazine and article. I'm now beginning to wonder if Elizabeth Bartschi might not be the new wife and not the daughter of Dr. Bartschi. I do know that the car transferred to Dr. Gary Bodiford of Arkansas in 1995. The Vette magazine blurb seems to confirm the fact the Metalcrafters did the conversion - but, I still have been unable to get any response from Bartschi, Bodiford or Metalcrafters regarding the vehicle.

CDB
02-04-2021, 02:58 AM
Hello my name is Christian Bartschi. I believe I can help answer some questions about this car. My uncle is Larry Bartschi. Does Michael Beal still own this and does anyone know how to reach him?

Mystic ZR-1
02-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Mike sold the car a few years ago. Not a clue where it went?

CDB
02-04-2021, 12:46 PM
Dang anyway to hunt it down. I have a bunch of pics of the car and more info.