PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Engine compartment

cvette98pacecar
07-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Okay guys who has the best tool to get into all the crevices of an LT5 engine. Has anyone tried a steam cleaner and boxes of q-tips.

Kevin
07-18-2011, 11:35 PM
your hand and a rag. anything else and you're going to be replacing the starter

cvette98pacecar
07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
your hand and a rag. anything else and you're going to be replacing the starter

That will take care of everything where I can get my hands. I need to get into all of the crevice's.

Kevin
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
That will take care of everything where I can get my hands. I need to get into all of the crevice's.

i guess you could pull everything apart and pressure wash or steam it but that's just a guess

cvette98pacecar
07-20-2011, 11:01 PM
i guess you could pull everything apart and pressure wash or steam it but that's just a guess

I have a commercial hand steamer that I have used for years, Just not on an LT-5 engine. I guess if it burns the finish that will give me a reason to have the Siamese intake done.

scottfab
07-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I use a pressure washer. If you stuff wads of plastic bags at the top
of the plenum to diver excess water you'll be fine. Small amounts of
water in the V aren't a problem. It's only when you exceed the rate at
which the drain hole can handle that you get in trouble.

AND of course you need to "blow dry" the compartment out when you're
done. I only know of one way to do that :)

PS take the plastic bags out before taking it out for the blow dry run.

QB93Z
07-21-2011, 03:53 PM
My wife saw me struggling to get in the crevices and tight areas of the engine and bought me a package of wooden shish-ka-bob skewers. They are about a foot long, pointed at one end and blunt at the other. They are fairly soft wood so if you are careful you can clean crevices without damaging anything. You can also wrap a cloth around the skewer and get into medium crevices.

Jim

Jagdpanzer
07-21-2011, 04:49 PM
When I first got my Z I commandeered the wife's clothes steamer to spif up the engine compartment. It worked great for this purpose using distilled water together with windex spay on the extra grimey areas.

RICKYRJ1
07-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Okay guys who has the best tool to get into all the crevices of an LT5 engine. Has anyone tried a steam cleaner and boxes of q-tips.
a steamer wil work fine to help loosen the grime up but be ready to wipe it clean & dry. What finish is on the engine? paint? powder coat?

cvette98pacecar
07-23-2011, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=RICKYRJ1;119435]a steamer wil work fine to help loosen the grime up but be ready to wipe it clean & dry. What finish is on the engine? paint? powder coat?[/QUOTe

powder coated. I am going to try the steam. If it damages the finish it really doesn't matter as I am going to send the cam covers and intake to DRM for Black powder coating. All of the original engine work was done by DRM it has the same specification and was built the same time all of the Black Widow engines were built. I wonder why the original owner did not get the engine powder coated black at that time.

RICKYRJ1
07-23-2011, 11:35 PM
You could get a local co. to PC it black for you also. I do understand if you want to keep the DRM hands on it though. Good Luck and keep us posted

MikeGolf
07-26-2011, 10:10 AM
I also ride Harleys and some use Pimp Stixx to detail the small areas and they work.
http://www.pimpstixxx.com/?gclid=CO2li5iXn6oCFQ5U7AodqhKL7g

cvette98pacecar
07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
I also ride Harleys and some use Pimp Stixx to detail the small areas and they work.
http://www.pimpstixxx.com/?gclid=CO2li5iXn6oCFQ5U7AodqhKL7g

Just ordered them thru Amazon 24.99 shipped. I really like amazon.

Kevin
07-26-2011, 09:47 PM
You could get a local co. to PC it black for you also. I do understand if you want to keep the DRM hands on it though. Good Luck and keep us posted

pc black looks good
crinkle coated black looks better