PDA

View Full Version : It Finally Happened, House Sold, Moving to MD

95ZR1#418
06-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi All-

Well, I've been in contact with Jim over the last couple years about my move to MD, which has always been on hold till the MT house sold. It sold, and I'm leaving MT for Damascus, MD midday on July 14th, trailering '95 #418 (see trailering in General Section).

I know I just missed a WMD this June. I'm posting here looking to be brought up to date on what's going on in the area. The house sold so fast I haven't paid attention to any events out East. I'm thinking I just may show-up somewhere, but where? Has Carlisle happened yet? Always thought that would be worth checking out-

Gee, gotta do the make new friends thing (I really hate that) but I know it flows once it's done while checking out every ones cars....:mrgreen:

ZZZZZR1
06-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Bob

Congrats!!!! You haven't missed carlilse, it's the end of august

Can't wait to see your Z!!!!

:cheers:

David

95ZR1#418
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi David-
Can't wait to see that Admiral Blue, it was always my first choice but couldn't pass on that DRM at the time.....

Good thing about Carlilse, I hope that works for me-

Kevin
06-29-2011, 04:44 PM
get your stuff booked for carlisle!

95ZR1#418
06-29-2011, 05:23 PM
get your stuff booked for carlisle!

I just did a MapQuest, it's only a 2hour drive for me. I'd just go for a day and probably want to see Gettysburg on another. My directions take me through Gettysburg. I assume it's a weekend gathering, what day is better Sat or Sunday?

Kevin
06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
I just did a MapQuest, it's only a 2hour drive for me. I'd just go for a day and probably want to see Gettysburg on another. My directions take me through Gettysburg. I assume it's a weekend gathering, what day is better Sat or Sunday?

friday and saturday are the big show days

thursday is a good get to know everyone/catch up with people day

sunday is when everyone starts packing up to head home

I'm looking at rolling in around 4:30-5 on friday

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14846

ZZZZZR1
06-29-2011, 07:41 PM

I live about 1.5hrs away, but most of us stay in a hotel close to Carlisle.

We will set up Thursday, hang out that day, get dinner that night, big day Friday / Saturday and leave Sunday afternoon.

Wingate by Wyndham Harrisburg
1344 Eisenhower Blvd
Highspire & Eisenhower Blvd
Harrisburg, PA 17111 US Maps & Directions

Phone: 717-985-1600
Fax: 717-985-1208

95ZR1#418
06-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I would think I could make it for Saturday if nothing else. I just can't get too far ahead of myself right now, but I sure hope it works out for at least Saturday.:mrgreen:

Kevin
06-29-2011, 11:52 PM
you won't regret it mate, carlisle is a hell of a time

HIZNHRZ
06-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Congrats Bob. I'm sure it will be nice to get the family under one roof again!

secondchance
06-30-2011, 08:47 AM
That is Great! Another WAZOO member being added.
Look forward to seeing you.:cheers:

Aurora40
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Watch out for all the speed cameras in Damascus!

95ZR1#418
06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Congrats Bob. I'm sure it will be nice to get the family under one roof again!

I'm anxious to see how the Setters respond to each other. They haven't seen each other for close to 2 years yet grew up together.

HIZNHRZ
07-01-2011, 08:39 AM
Reuniting the dogs should be a lot of fun! My guess is after about 30 seconds or less it will be like they were never apart.

Looks like you have a heck of a trip ahead of you. My guess is about 2200 miles? Are you going to try and make the trip in as little time as possible or are you planning to take your time and try and enjoy the drive? Either way, good luck and have a safe trip.

95ZR1#418
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Reuniting the dogs should be a lot of fun! My guess is after about 30 seconds or less it will be like they were never apart.

Looks like you have a heck of a trip ahead of you. My guess is about 2200 miles? Are you going to try and make the trip in as little time as possible or are you planning to take your time and try and enjoy the drive? Either way, good luck and have a safe trip.

U-Haul gives me 8 days, so I decide to stray off course a bit and drive it to Ely MN, near the Canadian boarder. My brother has a home on Fall Lake (a BWCA entry Lake) & we'll take a quick fishing trip into Basswood (Motor section this time) and pull (hopefully) a couple big Northerns/Walleyes out. Probably spend 3 days there and make it to the U-Haul drop off in Gaithersburg on the 8th day (they'll probably close before I get there though). A few hundred off the planned route but once there I'll be glad I did it.

QB93Z
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM
It is good to hear that your plans are firming up. Have a safe trip.

Let us know when you get to Maryland and be sure to let us know if you need any help.

Jim

Rex Ruby
07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
What do you mean you have to make new friends, you already have them here!:)

Congrats and drive safe on your way out.

95ZR1#418
07-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Well....

All as planned so far, got the trailer tech down and have extra ratchet straps. Will be leaving tomorrow afternoon (~4:00pm). Should be pulling into Damascus late on Wed the 20th.
I'm not happy about this move, I kicked and fought it all the way till now, but the time has come. It's going to be culture shock for me, I'm thinking I'd like to take up sailing, always liked it, always dreamed of circumnavigating the globe...:rolleyes:

HIZNHRZ
07-13-2011, 06:37 AM
It will be culture shock but you'll adapt. You'll be in a nice area although nothing like where you are coming from. Once you get to Maryland it would be an interesting conversation to talk about approximately where you were able to really detect a difference in people (based on their driving habits) as you left Montana and headed east.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the drive.

95ZR1#418
08-17-2011, 11:57 PM
I got into MD as planned on the 7/20. It was terrible heat & humidity
during the drive, especially MN to MD. We hit one of the worst, if not the worst storm I've ever been in, near the Eastern border of MT. It was unthinkable to have an unprotected car on a trailer behind me. So bad, everyone on the road pulled over, no overpasses for miles and hail that sounded like hammers hitting the windshield. I got two cracks in the rental U-Haul truck & two in our Trailblazer windshields. 70 MPH gusts, overturned big rigs etc. I had written the ZR-1 off as a total loss, especially that windshield. I had no idea what the body would look like.
Half an hour later we were on the move, I wouldn't go back to look at it. We hit more weather & hail and I kept moving. A couple hours later while gassing up I took a look, the car was so filthy you couldn't see the paint color. I wiped an area clear with a finger, didn't want to wipe anymore, but I didn't see anything. I thought I might have a crack in the lower blacked out area of the windshield.
A day later we pull into Ely MN (where my brother has a place on Fall Lake). While there for 2 days, I washed the car carefully, I could not find a single mark, no crack in the windshield either! That car was hit with "quarter" sized hail (news stated golf ball size?) how can that be?? Really? My several layers of Zaino, right.

Just overwhelmed with things to do. I have a work area/office/digital darkroom finished, I used Ikea modular components and Solux track lighting along with blacked out blinds/curtains for the digital photography area. I have my Mac on line but no intention to get the printers etc. up and running until the garage is done.

The Garage:
I've spent a week tearing out extraneous wiring out of the garage & trying to understand how the previous owner wired what he did, just a fire hazard waiting to happen, unbelievable. I'm actually calling in an electrician to help, I just can't follow it. For example, the living room ceiling lights (5) are wired into the 1st overhead door opener, need I go on?? ... and boy I could- And yes we did pay for a house inspection when we bought it, I never saw it then, & no mention of anything electrical.

I have the garage empty now so I can work in there. I just keep the ZR-1 in for now & back it out when I'm tossing **** around. Need to get new garage doors also, really bad.

When I finish tearing out drywall to see how the other areas are wired, I'll fix that, then repair walls, finish drywalling and put a ceiling in. Then I can start unpacking the many boxes (most of our rooms are filled with boxes yet, some have sat for 2 years) and get the garage in order. I just seem to be spinning, not getting anywhere at the moment. Attic fans have burned out, companies out of business, tracking replacement parts on that, it just goes on & on. Good thing I don't have a job anymore, I would never get this stuff done otherwise.

Anyway, reuniting the English Setters was not what I expected. Coquina, the female, living here in Damascus coward as soon as she saw Nahanni, the male. Coquina, I don't think liked him butting in on her total attention she had with Patti. No hard words, just took awhile for "Keeners" to come around to Nahanni. Sibling rivalry at it's finest.

And where did I first notice a difference in driving?? Wow, coming into Chicago, they were maniacs, worse than LA driving. That's from an Interstate perspective, it seemed normal once we got through there. I haven't driven on any roads in MD since I've been here, too much to do without getting out of the house. Haven't left the house yet.

But, Patti & I are going to Carlisle on Saturday, 27th. I'll be paying at the gate and driving #418, is there a ZR-1 parking area I should know about? Any spots I need to check out for sure? Never been there-
I'll be changing rear tires, take the drag radials & wheels off and putting the original stock wheels/tires back on. Also had the air conditioning serviced at a dealer last summer & as expected doesn't work again. I read about this "interdynamics" R-134a Refrigerant + oil, with system safe leak sealer, that others have used, I got a can. Thinking of trying it. Or, anyone know someone in the area who really could fix it?

That's about it for now got to get back at it. :mrgreen:

ZZZZZR1
08-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Bob,

Are you busy Saturday and or Sunday?

We have a WMD (westminster maintenance day), working on cars each day!!!

PM me your phone number and I'll fill you in.

Here is a post about it:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15283

Also fill you in on Carlisle...

David

95ZR1#418
08-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Bob,

Are you busy Saturday and or Sunday?

We have a WMD (westminster maintenance day), working on cars each day!!!

PM me your phone number and I'll fill you in.

Here is a post about it:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15283

Also fill you in on Carlisle...

David

Your not far from me at all. I plan to come up Sunday, looks like I just follow Ridge Road. As much as I hate them, Patti has a GPS I'll use to get me off the road & hopefully keep me out of jail for the day.

QB93Z
08-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Your not far from me at all. I plan to come up Sunday, looks like I just follow Ridge Road. As much as I hate them, Patti has a GPS I'll use to get me off the road & hopefully keep me out of jail for the day.

Yes, come north on Ridge Road, MD-27. When you get in to Westminster turn left on W. Green St. (Traffic light)

Drive to the end of W Green St, about 4 blocks, it ends at New Windsor Road. Turn right on New Windsor Road.

Drive past one house and turn right at the first alley. We will be at the first garage on the left.

My cell is 443-244-1347 if you need directions.

Jim