PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 ZR-1 C4 Gathering

vandornjim
05-15-2011, 01:13 PM
News from BG: The 2011 ZR-1 Gathering
Doesn't look like anybody got home yet so I'll post the first of many I'm sure.
This year's Gathering was certainly a learning experience to say the least. It rained and was cloudy most all weekend. Autocross and drags were cancelled and the rain curtailed most all other outside activities so there was plenty of time to become extremely, well, "time-saturated" (bored). I spoke with some of the new Net board members and I think there will definitely be some discussions to change the current format and add some new ideas. If you have any, you might let them know.
The Auto Masters/ZR-1 Net BBQ was crazy. Everybody showed up all at once and 2 minutes later, so did the microburst with 60mph winds and a cloudburst which heavily watered my new garden. Not to worry though as we were all insde and our totally homemade menu was all cooked and ready with Bow Tie burgers, BBQ Chicken Tenderloins, Beer Braised Italian Sausage and our Pepper BBQ'd Potatoes. With a SHORT auction, we raised enough money to buy our NCM brick and make a donation to the Andrew Hutchins Scholarship fund. I'll have totals after all the payments are made and the tally is counted but we are over $1500 already. Special thanks to Jerry's Gaskets (VP Jerry Downey) for his donation of a complete upper LT5 gasket set, to Mr. Jim Perkins and Hendricks Motorsports for their signed hat donations, Mr. David Kimble for his 1989 ZR-1 Cutaway poster which was the cover for both Motor Trend and our very own Dave McLellan's book "Corvette from the Inside". MerCruiser's Greg Van Deventer also donated a set of BRAND NEW LT5 91-95 cam cover emblems. Can you believe that stuff is still coming out of desk drawers?

A major new announcement was made regarding the NCM Motorsports Park. I think it is fair to say that things are pretty vague and confusing regarding a project of some 4 years already.

It was great to see many old and new friends. We had 80 at our BBQ and there were about 70 at the banquet. Total attendance in real numbers was maybe 100-120. NCM Auction included walking sticks and bird houses. There was even some Corvette stuff!! It raised $4,000 after some 2 hours.
All for now, I've got a shop to get ready for WORK on Monday!!

tomtom72
05-16-2011, 06:17 AM
jvd,

Thanks for the great BBQ and the hospitality you always extend to all of us that make it to BG.

It was a good time indeed and it's nice that we could raise some money for the Scholarship fund. That was a very nice icing on the cake so to speak.

:cheers:
Tom

Thanks for fixing my car too!

-=Jeff=-
05-16-2011, 08:00 AM
So what was the NCM Motorsport Park announcement?

vandornjim
05-16-2011, 11:25 AM
jvd,

Thanks for the great BBQ and the hospitality you always extend to all of us that make it to BG.

Thanks for fixing my car too!

THAT WAS YOU????
TOMTOM....A FACE FOR YOUR NAME!

Yep, glad to be off assistance and hope of you guys had a good time. Maybe we can come up with a few more things to occupy you next year.

As for the Motorsports Park announcment, the NCM has chosen a much wiser route for the time being by opting to start out a lot smaller, but there are still many details not brought out. Maybe one of these days I'll write the next segement of the "saga"....
;)

Scrrem
05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
As for the Motorsports Park announcment, the NCM has chosen a much wiser route for the time being by opting to start out a lot smaller, but there are still many details not brought out. Maybe one of these days I'll write the next segement of the "saga"....
;)

Thanks again for your great hospitality Jim!!

Based on the NCM's presentaiton last week, I think they still have some major hurtles to cross with the local communities around the park. Those negotiations can take time and be costly if legal action is required. Hopefully they can win them over.
Rich

A26B
05-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Jim,
On behalf of the ZR-1 Net Registry and certainly for me personally, I can't thank you enough for all of your work and generosity to conduct the BBQ and the associated fundraisers. The event has become a core element and favorite social of the annual ZR-1/C4 Gathering in Bowling Green.

The opportunity to work with you on this years BBQ event, provided a chance to get to know you better. Before then, I had an idea of your enthusiasm for the ZR-1, but am now beginning to see your truly big heart and passionate support for the ZR-1 community. Amazingly, you continue to uncover a seemingly endless supply of ZR-1 artifacts, mementos and parts from that "upstairs stash," year after year. Having said that, the most impressive part is the fact you auction it off for the benefit of worthwhile charity. That's the heart I'm talking about. You just keep donating your personal collection of unique mementos for the benefit of others.

I am looking forward to exchanging ideas with you for future events and having time to just sit down & BS about the ZR-1 & whatever else.

Once again....... Thanks Jim.

LGAFF
05-17-2011, 05:10 PM
I had a ZR-1 gathering at my house, two cars showed, they were both mine, there was a porting demonstration, we grilled out...ok I grilled out and even had a few beers.

Maybe next year:cry:

vandornjim
05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Jim,
The opportunity to work with you on this years BBQ event, provided a chance to get to know you better. Before then, I had an idea of your enthusiasm for the ZR-1, but am now beginning to see your truly big heart and passionate support for the ZR-1 community.

I have NEVER been so insulted in my life. A big heart? Mr Downey, Pirates do not have hearts! We pillage from the weak! (and try to get raped whenever possible).:p

Amazingly, you continue to uncover a seemingly endless supply of ZR-1 artifacts, mementos and parts from that "upstairs stash," year after year.

That's called "booty" and upstairs is where we keep the treasure chest. Oh, and there's more. MUCH MUCH more!

Having said that, the most impressive part is the fact you auction it off for the benefit of worthwhile charity. That's the heart I'm talking about. You just keep donating your personal collection of unique mementos for the benefit of others.

JUst remember one thing guys. People usually gave me those items or I stole them fair and square for that very reason. Many times the guys at GM etc would give me those things because they knew I would get them to the "right people". Just this past weeknd I had several boxes brought to me. On top was a collectible Grand Sport commemorative plate. It wasn't good for holding beer or cocktails, so I gave it to Hutch. I guess it brought over $500 for the NCM and some lucky Grand Sport guy has a very rare piece. WIN WIN.

I am looking forward to exchanging ideas with you for future events and having time to just sit down & BS about the ZR-1 & whatever else.

Well, as most of you know, I have a hundred stories of our voyages of the past, but I think it is pretty obvious that we need to spice up our agenda for the annual event. In the past, we organized our own events, organized our own agenda, took our own road trips, brought our own guest speakers, etc., etc., etc. Take the main heat off the NCM yet still enjoy the banquet facilities, gift shop, etc. Take any profits and make a donation if you want, but get a Brick or Bench to show for it. Leave a legacy.

Most people do not know this but this was the first year that the Net Registry actually teamed up with the Auto Masters BBQ and I want to Thank all of you for that support. Where else can you eat and drink all you want while sitting on a John Deere lawnmower? :-D

We raised our goal of a $600 NCM brick and a $1,000 donation to the Andrew Hutchins Scholarship fund. ALl that and paid for the food and drink as well. Great job gang and thanks for participating.

Eric24
05-19-2011, 07:37 PM
As the Platoon Sergeant for Hutch, I can not tell you all how touched i em that you all picked his scholarship to send the money to. It just shows how great AMERICANS really are, and i SALUTE you all.

Hutch was a great Soldier and guy, and it makes me sad that he will never see his kid.....

Hutch re-deployed only after being on the COP (combat outpost) after only 4 days there. He got hurt and had to go home. Long story short, he had the chance to get out of the Army with a pretty big check, but he begged to come back to the Soldiers and finish the tour, he wanted to come back to be with his brothers who had been sucking for almost a year. He returned and was only back 6 weeks when he was killed on 8 Nov 2010.

So, I can not say Thank You enough......:flag:

tomtom72
05-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi Eric,

I am speaking for myself when I say that as a civilian I owe a debit that is impossible to pay back to our military. So when you say "Thank You" I just have to tell you it means more than you know.

I pray that God blesses and protects all of our Military.

Tom