PDA

View Full Version : c6 z06 engine problems?

Kevin
05-14-2011, 04:09 PM
I was talking with someone the other day about cars for road course use and the C6Z06 came up. The discussion then turned to someone saying that the Z06 has oiling problems which lead to engine damage which make it a poor choice for road racing. Is this true? Anyone have experience with this?

TFENT
05-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I was talking with someone the other day about cars for road course use and the C6Z06 came up. The discussion then turned to someone saying that the Z06 has oiling problems which lead to engine damage which make it a poor choice for road racing. Is this true? Anyone have experience with this?

No personal experience but what I personally know from my searching is this effects the 06-09 LS7. There are fixes to this in new pumps and reservoirs. I am looking at one of these Z06's myself. The oil problem makes the cranks walk.

scholtmj
05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I've read about this problem. It's some ridiculous corner case; I think a 1G left hand corner sustained for a couple minutes starves oil from the pump.

gbrtng
05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
I've read about this problem. It's some ridiculous corner case; I think a 1G left hand corner sustained for a couple minutes starves oil from the pump.

That's my understanding too - Third hand report of a failure at Joliet Autobahn and GM would not cover the damage under warranty. The owner
replaced the short block on his own dime.

There is no corner at Joliet where the g-load is sustained that long however.

FU
05-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Go for a ride in one Kevin. Your going to be pleasantly surprised.

Kevin
05-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Go for a ride in one Kevin. Your going to be pleasantly surprised.

i'd love to frank but I don't know of anyone I know that has one. Light weight car, 427 cid, big power, whats not to like?

rhipsher
05-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Ive driven one. Pretty damn nice. It was a 2008 atomic orange one with 900 miles on the clock. Smooth quiet and fast.

lbszr
05-29-2011, 09:58 AM
I try to avoid them, they seem to out-handle me in the turns, and pull away in the straight stretches at the track, quite irritating:cry:

95ZR1
10-23-2011, 09:01 PM
There are a few very long threads in CF C6Z06 about engine failures due to bad valves. Got me on hold about getting one. Too many cases reported to ignore. Many of the failures were on stock cars never tracked.

JThomas
11-06-2011, 08:47 AM
I have had my '07 Z06 for five years now and 34,000 miles. It's all stock, and I have autocrossed it many times, and tracked it twice. Other than that it is driven "aggressively" from time to time, with no engine issues.

Early last year, at the 25,000 mile mark, it developed a transmission issue that was taken care of under warranty. The car now shifts better than it did when new.

lbszr
11-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I try to avoid them, they seem to out-handle me in the turns, and pull away in the straight stretches at the track, quite irritating:cry:

I have to make an update....cause last time to the track, outside air temp was in the 60's, instead of the 90's. The good old Z was hanging with the Zo6's C6's(stock) in the turns and the little bit that it lost in the straights was caught back up by late braking into the turns.

One guy at the track had a rocker arm bearing come apart on a stock one, easy to fix. The most problems from them seem to be the ones that have been modified, like cam changes, or more involved, at least the ones at this track. I wouldn't turn one away, just can't afford one.