PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels!

gbmidyear66
02-27-2011, 07:28 PM
My major upgrade for this year - just completed redoing my wheels. Had the OE wheels refinished, new Nitto Extreme's, new center caps.

I had 20 years of minor (but accumulated) curb rash, clear coat had yellowed, 10 year old rubber, caps were pitted.

If you are looking at refinishing a machined wheels - you really need to do your homework on the refinisher. I'm not overly thrilled with the result on the fronts. From a foot away they look great - but up close they look like they have water spots on them. After a lot of discussion with multiple refinishers - it seems this can happen if the diamond tool for the CNC is either too new/sharp, or too dull, or can happen if the clearcoat is not applied properly. Fortunately my rear wheels look great and if I can't live with the fronts - I know I can pick an OEM pair reasonable - and now know where to take them to get them done right.

Glenn

Hammer
02-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Really looks nice with the new wheels, I like it a lot. But, uh, er, an Admiral Blue 90. Nice.

gbmidyear66
02-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Thats not Amiral - that Quasar!

Probably my crappy iPhone camera and/or my flourescent lights that confused you.....

Hammer
02-27-2011, 07:39 PM
No kidding, sure looks like Admiral in the pic. I've not seen a QB ZR-1 so it could be me too. I thought they were a lighter blue than that. Could be the pic as mentioned too. Still very nice.

tomtom72
03-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Glenn,

I just have to compliment you on the rear(?) wheel pictured....that is outstanding! :handshak:

:cheers:
Tom

Aurora40
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I think Admiral Blue is a gloss paint. QB is metallic. Car looks great, that color really looks good on the '90 body style!

WydGlydJim
03-16-2011, 03:29 PM
I knew it was Quasar instantly...........course I've seen QB a lot!
;)
I would like to refinish three of mine at some point......right front has already been covered by insurance.........oops
:eusa_shhh

cvette
03-18-2011, 02:14 AM
I knew it was Quasar instantly...........course I've seen QB a lot!
;)
I would like to refinish three of mine at some point......right front has already been covered by insurance.........oops
:eusa_shhh

See what happens when you lose your keys in BG!:censored:

ZR1@gmx.com
03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Looks awesome, the car and the wheels! I would like to get my wheels refinished... Anyone know a good source in or around Missouri?

cvette
03-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Call Jeff Kopp at Superior Chevrolet. (913)384-1550. They do business with a company that refinishes wheels for the body shop. Quick turnaround and very reasonable also.

Charlie

GLMajer
03-19-2011, 07:10 PM
I had a Quasar Blue '92 LT1 and loved it. But now have an Adminral Blue '94 and love it more!
BTW, nice wheels!

gbmidyear66
03-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Looks awesome, the car and the wheels! I would like to get my wheels refinished... Anyone know a good source in or around Missouri?

Refinishing the machined face 90 wheels seems to be a combination of art and expertise. I got my fronts finished first to be sure I was happy with the result - and I wasn't all that happy with my fronts - looked like they had water spots on the machined areas - apparently a common issue. I took the rears elsewhere and was fortunately very happy with the result.

The diamond bit used for machining and how the clear coat is applied and the casting itself all seem to be major factors in the end result.

Good luck

Glenn

zr1nsxgto
02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
There is a company in Huntington Indiana called Transwheel. They did a set of 90 ZR1 wheels for me and they turned out perfect. Wasn't cheap however. It's been 5 years or so back, but it was around $750 to do all 4 wheels. They look just as good as factory new. They tell me that they are the company that developed the clear coating process that is now used by GM. Still have these wheels and am just now thinking of putting some new rubber on them. My original Gatorbacks are hard as concrete.

LGAFF
02-10-2012, 07:21 PM
actually refinishing is pretty easy, did these by hand with sandpaper, and steel wool....turned out perfect

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q115/lgaff/054.jpg

LGAFF
02-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Refinishing the machined face 90 wheels seems to be a combination of art and expertise. I got my fronts finished first to be sure I was happy with the result - and I wasn't all that happy with my fronts - looked like they had water spots on the machined areas - apparently a common issue. I took the rears elsewhere and was fortunately very happy with the result.

The diamond bit used for machining and how the clear coat is applied and the casting itself all seem to be major factors in the end result.

Good luck

Glenn

Glenn,

The "water spot" appearance is clear coat splatter on dry paint....

gbmidyear66
03-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Lee

Are you suggesting I may be able to polish the "water spots" from the clear coat?

Glenn

LGAFF
03-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I think its possible....might try a polising compund..somthing light....call whomever did the painting and ask

bdw18_123
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
actually refinishing is pretty easy, did these by hand with sandpaper, and steel wool....turned out perfect.

Interesting Lee, I might have to try that on mine. Can you give any more detail as to the process you went through to achieve that result? Did you clearcoat them afterward or just leave them bare?

My '90 rims don't have the machining on them anymore (they are just smooth with no clearcoat), the original owner must have had them polished at some point. I like the original look better though.

LGAFF
03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
You just need to work on them prosgressively...start with a 240 or 320 and work your way down to fine steel wool......I then rattle can cleared them...no problems the far..I was shocked they turned out so good.

Mine just had rash on the edges, although I did scuff and reclear the entire wheels....I did not remove all the clear on the centers/hubs...only were it was poor