PDA

View Full Version : Top Glass Condition

jcruz
01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Not my ZR-1 but a Z07 coupe I've had for years.

I see lots of info on windshields and tops delaminating. The top and windows were already tinted when I bought the car back in '95. I'm wondering if this is delamination or just the tinting that's worn off?

Would re-tinting the windows help make this look any better?

Thanks,

John

http://www.cruzeware.com/images/vettetop.jpg
@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; line-height: 12pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1;

jcruz
01-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Hmmm. Does anyone have a picture of what a delaminated top or windshield looks like for comparison?

jcruz
01-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Dynomite, I had seen the poll thread but not the other one. To me, the 95 ZR-1 with the delam doesn't quite look like the condition on my top. Maybe I have some delam and the remnants of the tinting. Either way the top is in fairly poor condition :(

btw, here are a couple pics of my 91 ZR-1 #987 -- no delam as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

John

http://www.cruzeware.com/images/windshield1.jpg

http://www.cruzeware.com/images/windshield2.jpg

bdw18_123
01-08-2011, 10:08 PM
The tops aren't tinted with a sheet of tinting like the glass windows are. The acrylic plastic itself is that color all the way through. Is that a GM top or an aftermarket top on your car, John? It almost looks like the top layer of the plastic itself is wearing away or something. Hard to tell though without seeing it in person.

jcruz
01-09-2011, 12:31 AM
The tops aren't tinted with a sheet of tinting like the glass windows are. The acrylic plastic itself is that color all the way through. Is that a GM top or an aftermarket top on your car, John? It almost looks like the top layer of the plastic itself is wearing away or something. Hard to tell though without seeing it in person.

It's an original GM top as far as I know -- it's been on the car since '95.

Interesting...

ZZZZZR1
01-09-2011, 09:18 AM
It's an original GM top as far as I know -- it's been on the car since '95.

Interesting...

John,

It's the "florida sun" that caused the top to loose it's luster.

Wish I had that problem.... (the Florida weather that is!)

:cheers:

David

jcruz
01-09-2011, 11:27 PM
John,

It's the "florida sun" that caused the top to loose it's luster.

Wish I had that problem.... (the Florida weather that is!)

:cheers:

David

David...I know....that's why I moved! LOL :dancing

I used to live in Northern VA....this time of year used to drive me crazy. No more!

bldavis11
01-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Not quite certain what you have going on, but that is NOT the delamination that the windshields can show. The tops are, as stated above, all acrylic, and not the glass sandwich like the windshields.

rkreigh
01-11-2011, 07:52 PM
the top has a tint coat on the plastic and it can wear away and give that splotchy appearance.

a replacement lens is the fix and pretty expensive. I took the cheap way out which was LOT of labor and used very fine sandpaper and then polished the top. it got the entire layer of that tint coating off (whatever they use) and got the tops looking ok. but it was a ton of work and I couldn't get to the very edges (didn't remove the trim)

I checked at carlisle and lots of places replace the lens. about the cost of finding a good solid used top. you can find quite a few mint tops in the 600-800 range and the replacement lens was over 500

another BIG caution (which surprised me) when I got hit at BG a while back, it broke out the window glass so I taped up the car with duct tape and clear plastic so I could drive it home. when I took the tape off it peeled that tint coating right off!!! don't ever put sticky tape on the top. that coating is a bit fragile and definitely wears over time

jcruz
01-12-2011, 08:30 AM
the top has a tint coat on the plastic and it can wear away and give that splotchy appearance.

a replacement lens is the fix and pretty expensive. I took the cheap way out which was LOT of labor and used very fine sandpaper and then polished the top. it got the entire layer of that tint coating off (whatever they use) and got the tops looking ok. but it was a ton of work and I couldn't get to the very edges (didn't remove the trim)

I checked at carlisle and lots of places replace the lens. about the cost of finding a good solid used top. you can find quite a few mint tops in the 600-800 range and the replacement lens was over 500

another BIG caution (which surprised me) when I got hit at BG a while back, it broke out the window glass so I taped up the car with duct tape and clear plastic so I could drive it home. when I took the tape off it peeled that tint coating right off!!! don't ever put sticky tape on the top. that coating is a bit fragile and definitely wears over time

Wow, that is great info! Many thanks!

Coincidentally I just had the car over for a detailing and the guy gave the top a light buffing. Below is a new pic -- it's still splotchy but definitely looks better to the human eye (the camera close-ups seem to pick up every little imperfection)

http://www.cruzeware.com/images/vettetop2.jpg

I've got a reference for a local tinting person. I'm in the process of checking that out as a possible alternative to a replacement top. I'll post what I find out...

John