PDA

View Full Version : Need cat back,chip,headers, wheels 1990Z

wolverinemw
01-20-2006, 03:10 PM
If anyone is changing their car back or has parts they are not using, I would like to buy a Corsa or B&B cat back, headers, performance chip (haibeck pref.) and possibly some unique wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

Z Factor
01-20-2006, 05:51 PM
If anyone is changing their car back or has parts they are not using, I would like to buy a Corsa or B&B cat back, headers, performance chip (haibeck pref.) and possibly some unique wheels. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

Most people do not reverse their mods unless they are selling their ZR-1's to someone who is looking for a stock one. Occasionally they will swap out the cat back exhaust because it is either too quiet or too loud depending on their taste. As you can see from this poll, both Corsa and B&B are the two most popular, with Flowmaster and Borla not being to far behind.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470

Chances are you will need to buy a system new, and if you go with B&B, I'd recommend you contact Tbyrne to see if they have a group purchase going.

http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/

As to the chip, Haibeck and DRM are the two most popular, however you want to have your mods decided on before getting a chip since they are programmed to best suit your mods.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852

With headers you choices are limited, and you will probably have to buy new ones since most people do not sell their used ones.

I hope this gets you started on the right track, and feel free to ask everyone more questions as they pop up.

:cheers:

wolverinemw
01-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the help. Will order the Haibeck chip today. TBYRNE is asking $1.089.00 for the Corsa Cat Back, when I told them that corvette central was asking $899.00.the girl just blew it off like corvette central does not have their prices up to date. She said to send her a link to their prices and she would look at matching it. Why the heck should I waste my time trying to get her to match it. I have had similar experiences with Tbyrne and will not call the again. I called and confirmed Corvette Centrals price, it is $899.00. Oh well. Thanks again for the ideas, they are good ones!

Z Factor
01-23-2006, 01:02 PM
I have had similar experiences with Tbyrne and will not call the again.

I had just the opposite experience with TBYRNE with my group purchase of my B&B system with x-pipe. Not only was their price the best, but their customer service was great when one of the muffler tips had damage during shipping.

What is it that made you decided to go with Corsa?

wolverinemw
01-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I am still thinking it over, just spent some time listening to the sound clips from the forum. I want a B&B with X pipe I think, but if Tbyrne is going to give me the shrug off and if they are $200 higher than Corvette Central on the Corsa, how bad will I get it on the B&B as CC does not sell B&B. I recieved an offer to buy the B&B from a Corvette Forum member, new in box. I am trying to reach him now. A purchase from an authorized dealer might be smarter given your recent experience. I will see if I can find a dealer who will sell me the B&B at a reasonable price and it does not look like Tbyrne is going to help me do that, when I mentioned your suggestion of a group price, she practically laughed at me and said maybe last year. Whatever!

dbriana
01-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Doesn't sound like you are interested in flowmaster, but you get one of those systems for a lot less. Search on ebay for flowmaster zr, there is someone there that has them for $652 buy it now or submit best offer, may be worth a try if you are half way considering them. Main difference is they are aluminum instead of stainless steel and tips aren't polished. Sound loudness i believe it is less than B&B and more than corsa?

Kevin
01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Just go to haibeck for the chip. Mod the car, dyno it, send marc the dyno sheet and he'll program it off that

Z Factor
01-23-2006, 02:44 PM
I am still thinking it over, just spent some time listening to the sound clips from the forum. I want a B&B with X pipe I think, but if Tbyrne is going to give me the shrug off and if they are $200 higher than Corvette Central on the Corsa, how bad will I get it on the B&B as CC does not sell B&B. I recieved an offer to buy the B&B from a Corvette Forum member, new in box. I am trying to reach him now. A purchase from an authorized dealer might be smarter given your recent experience. I will see if I can find a dealer who will sell me the B&B at a reasonable price and it does not look like Tbyrne is going to help me do that, when I mentioned your suggestion of a group price, she practically laughed at me and said maybe last year. Whatever!

It sound to me like you got this woman on a bad day. I cannot remember the gentleman, nor the subsequent woman who helped me, but it was night and day compared to what you are dealing with. I had priced the system for several months through various sources, and when Tbyrne had their group buy, it was close to 250 less than anyone else.

As to the question of sound, it all depends on your taste. I think the B & B will give you a deeper sound, and a much louder sound as well, especially with headers. I have heard some people say that the Corsa sounds good, but not with headers. I believe Aaron at SGC is of that opinion, yet others think the B & B is too loud for their taste. My system has no cats either so it is really loud, but I have gotten use to it. Some tone it down by getting the resonator as opposed to the x-pipe, but again it is all in the ear of the beholder. ;)

If you are not concerned with getting a 3' system for maximum power potential, then any of the other systems will be a step up from your stock exhaust. Flowmasters do have a deep sound, and are probably the least expensive system you can buy for your ZR-1. That said, many people do not like the look of the tips, but then again, it is a matter of taste. I would agree with dbriana's assessment of where they fall into the loudness scale.

Z Factor
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Just go to haibeck for the chip. Mod the car, dyno it, send marc the dyno sheet and he'll program it off that

I would not disagree with anyone who recommends a Haibeck chip, even though there are other good alternatives.
The one thing I would re-emphasize is that you must know which mods you are certain to install. For instance, Haibeck's off the shelf chip reduces fueling by half of the stock setting, but with headers they recommend you have the 6% rich fuel delivery. They charge extra on top of their price to reverse it, and do not include a recalibration in your cost like some other chip tuners do. You can be assured the he is one of the best ZR-1 tuners out there, but get your ducks in a row before ordering.

wolverinemw
01-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Just put in my order for the B&B new out of California, I saved over $200 from what TBYRNE offered this morning, just goes to show what a little surfing can do for you. I got what I wanted at the price I thought was fair. Did you have B&B make an X pipe for you, or did you fab yourself? I am calling Haibeck next for my chip. 4:10's will go in when the weather breaks. I thought about the Hurst shifter but had concerns about getting it in my car with my back issues, and any potential damage from install as my car as of yet has not a mark on it. I want to be able to easily go back to stock should I want ot try a new toy (I know the gears do not make sense here, but the mod is a must IMHO). Thanks again for the great info and help, it is appreciated!:thumbsup: :handshak:

Kevin
01-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I've been consdering 410's but I like hitting 120 in third

Z Factor
01-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Just put in my order for the B&B new out of California, I saved over $200 from what TBYRNE offered this morning, just goes to show what a little surfing can do for you. I got what I wanted at the price I thought was fair. Did you have B&B make an X pipe for you, or did you fab yourself? I am calling Haibeck next for my chip. 4:10's will go in when the weather breaks. I thought about the Hurst shifter but had concerns about getting it in my car with my back issues, and any potential damage from install as my car as of yet has not a mark on it. I want to be able to easily go back to stock should I want ot try a new toy (I know the gears do not make sense here, but the mod is a must IMHO). Thanks again for the great info and help, it is appreciated!:thumbsup: :handshak:

Without a group purchase going, it does not surprise me that Tbyrne's regular price was beaten, so that was a nice find.:thumbsup:
As to the x-pipe, it is a B&B made for the tri-flow cat back. You of course could have a muffler/performance shop fab one if they have mandrel bend capability.