PDA

View Full Version : Well, my search is over!!

wolverinemw
01-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Found a near perfect 100% original 1990 Red/Red ZR1 with 4100 miles right in my back yard. I am very excited to finally realize this dream. I really appreciate the help and patience of several board members who allowed me to consider their cars, I am sure it must be very painful to work with newbies who think they know what they want. My vin ends in 5802373, can I assume that this means my car is #2,373 built in 1990? I hate to mod this car as it literally has not a single mark on it and is untouched, but I really think I want a cat back, chip, and cold air system. I like the stock wheels and tires, but I almost feel like I should take them off and put on aftermarket wheels and tires, or at least buy new rubber and save the originals. Any advice for this newbie?:worship:

Z Factor
01-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Found a near perfect 100% original 1990 Red/Red ZR1 with 4100 miles right in my back yard. I am very excited to finally realize this dream. I really appreciate the help and patience of several board members who allowed me to consider their cars, I am sure it must be very painful to work with newbies who think they know what they want. My vin ends in 5802373, can I assume that this means my car is #2,373 built in 1990? I hate to mod this car as it literally has not a single mark on it and is untouched, but I really think I want a cat back, chip, and cold air system. I like the stock wheels and tires, but I almost feel like I should take them off and put on aftermarket wheels and tires, or at least buy new rubber and save the originals. Any advice for this newbie?:worship:

Congratulations:dancing , and welcome to the KOTH club.:handshak:

As far as being a newbie, we all were at one time or another, and we have all benefited from the help of our more experienced brethren.

Yes, your car is #2,373 and I understand your apprehension in modding it. However, if you keep all your original parts then you can always reverse it if needed for shows or future value. That said, chip and exhaust is no problem, but it depends on what you mean by "cold air system". If you are talking about the system that has an air inlet where the front plate goes, that requires a permanent alteration. Quite frankly, most of us, even those who have modded their ZR-1's have the stock set up, with maybe an open lid or K&N filter.

If you want to change out the rubber and rims, no problem, just keep the originals in a safe place. I have some mods, but everything is reversible as well.

:cheers:

wolverinemw
01-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Good advice, Thank you! If anyone is selling a cat back, chip, or unique wheels/ tires, please let me know. Thanks for the help!

tomtom72
01-19-2006, 07:20 AM
:hello: welcome to the fold!

Sweet Z! That car is another virgin 90, 4100 miles it's brand new.:thumbsup:

Somethings to consider:
If it has the OEM tires you may want to consider that they are 16 yrs old & will not give great grip because they will be quite hard from age. Be careful when you put your foot in it! I had a similar experience with my 90, it had the original tires on it & they looked good...no rot but old & hard as rocks = no grip in corners 0r straight lines. Heck mine still had the original a/f, plugs, pcv's, fuel/f, brake fluid, etc...all that stuff had to go along with trans & rear gear fluids. Remember that your injectors, if OEM, are not resistant to the alky fuel additives used today and they may quit on you at some point in the future. Also keep a close eye on the hyd system for the clutch...all it's parts will not like to be called back from vacation...if you intend to actually use the car. You might try flushing the clutch hyd system with new fluid. I didn't do that and my 8200 mile parts lunched at about 10K, the master leaked @ the firewall. So I had to R & R the entire hyd sys., master + slave + line. The 1990 slave cyl P/N is discontinued...replaced with the 91 slave, bleeder is in a diff position but it fits just fine!

Hey, no offense intended...you got a "new" ZR-1 at a way big discount...now you can be the one to complete the 10K break in! I just wanted to share some common things about cars that sat unused for long periods may crop up if you do use the car. I got mine at 8200 and Now have 15700+ on it. So I rudely ended the car's vacation! But I think it still loves me!:mrgreen:

Good luck with your new Z!!

Tom

We Gone
01-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Congrats on your new ZR-1.. Now go drive the wheels off it..:mrgreen:

Tom...You have been putting the miles on yours..:worship:

tomtom72
01-19-2006, 07:41 AM
:hello: Steve!!!

Yes & I love it so...these cars are as additicve as sex...well maybe tha's too far...but ya know my Z can cure a bad day & I even make up bad days just so I can use it! I'll never show well at the NCRS but well someone has to use my car & it might as well be me!:mrgreen:

bobbyhi
01-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Congrats Steve,

It sounds as if you really did well buying the Z. As all of us have said you will enjoy the heck out of her. Depending who you are with, it can be more fun than sex....:censored: :censored:

haber rj
01-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Congratulations on a great find, you will never regret buy a "Z" car, I have had mine for 10 years and every time I start it up it just seems like the first time, ENJOY.
haber rj

John Boothby
01-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Congrats on your new ZR1! Welcome to the fold! If you are going to drive the car, and I believe you will, I would take the original wheels off (with tires) and replace with good after market wheels. Only to preserve the originals. They are hard to come by in good shape and expensive! Hard tires do not matter in shows, but don't work good on the road. I would also change all fluids, flush cooling system and replace filters. I did this with my car when I got it and it had 65,500 miles on it. I did this just for my own pease of mind on knowing when all fluids were changed and giving me a baseline. Right now I am replacing the hydraulic clutch system (master/slave/hose). It was changed out, according to receipts I got with the car, about 2 years ago. However, the master is now leaking through the firewall.

You will love your car! They are just too fun to drive!!

Good Luck :thumbsup: