PDA

View Full Version : Were LT5s installed in 88 Prototypes at BG?

1989ZR1#74
12-01-2010, 05:23 PM
After reading some new documentation on the prototypes it struck me that LT5s may not have been installed in all of the 88 widebody prototypes at Bowling Green. Tyler do you know the answer to this? Specifically P8Y076, EX5003 is listed on my source as "Denver awaiting 1st MM Engine". This would have been the 2nd 88 to be assembled at BG. The build sheet for EX5003 says "Shiped on Chevrolet truck - Not CAT 5/28/87". Anyone know what CAT is short for? Eric

Blue Flame Restorations
12-01-2010, 07:41 PM
After reading some new documentation on the prototypes it struck me that LT5s may not have been installed in all of the 88 widebody prototypes at Bowling Green. Tyler do you know the answer to this? Specifically P8Y076, EX5003 is listed on my source as "Denver awaiting 1st MM Engine". This would have been the 2nd 88 to be assembled at BG. The build sheet for EX5003 says "Shiped on Chevrolet truck - Not CAT 5/28/87". Anyone know what CAT is short for? Eric

Mine was.

Tyler Townsley
12-01-2010, 08:11 PM

Based on the build sheets all 88s in the initial production run got motors. Just how long they lasted is subject to differing opinions and what happened after an engine failure would explain the MM comment. IE original engine blew and since they only had 25 engines and 25 cars (According to Minniker) once the original fitment motor died the car was held for furthur program use. Geoffs car had a prototype 4 bolt motor in it when it was 'destroyed'. The report we have was presented at the meeting that gave the green light and by then they knew they needed platforms to test the first MM engines. Since there were no 89s at that time the 88s were used with initial production MM engines. If you look at my engine s/n 42 it was installed in June of 87 (We know this because I have an engine build book that was in the crate) in P8Y078 EX5005. This engine then appears to have been driven 4486 miles then is back at Lotus in OCT NOV for 36.67 hours of dyno time. It was then stripped and the block ended up in the graveyard where Geoff rescued it and built my motor.

Tyler

1989ZR1#74
12-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Based on the build sheets all 88s in the initial production run got motors. Just how long they lasted is subject to differing opinions and what happened after an engine failure would explain the MM comment. IE original engine blew and since they only had 25 engines and 25 cars (According to Minniker) once the original fitment motor died the car was held for furthur program use. Geoffs car had a prototype 4 bolt motor in it when it was 'destroyed'. The report we have was presented at the meeting that gave the green light and by then they knew they needed platforms to test the first MM engines. Since there were no 89s at that time the 88s were used with initial production MM engines. If you look at my engine s/n 42 it was installed in June of 87 (We know this because I have an engine build book that was in the crate) in P8Y078 EX5005. This engine then appears to have been driven 4486 miles then is back at Lotus in OCT NOV for 36.67 hours of dyno time. It was then stripped and the block ended up in the graveyard where Geoff rescued it and built my motor.

Tyler

Makes sense, but I would still like to know what "Not CAT" means. When the comment says "1st MM Engine" I wonder what that means. 1st Phase III? I assume the Phase II that yours has came from MM?

Tyler Townsley
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
Makes sense, but I would still like to know what "Not CAT" means. When the comment says "1st MM Engine" I wonder what that means. 1st Phase III? I assume the Phase II that yours has came from MM?

All Phase II engines were done at Lotus. 1st MM engine means the car had a Phase II engine and was then used for testing the first MM Phase III motor. I think there were a few Phase III Lotus assembled motors that were used for testing before ramping up the MM production line.

Tyler

Blue Flame Restorations
12-02-2010, 06:17 PM

Catalytic converters abbreviation????