PDA

View Full Version : found a great tuner for the west coast guys

sammy
11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
for those of you that want their car tuned on a chassis dyno instead of buying a close but basic tune for your mods . west tech in so cal can do a complete custom tune for between 700 to 1000 including burning you a new prom for your car . they have a state of the art chassis dyno to do even part throttle and cruize mapping for our cars . i have had corey henderson tune my cars in the past and he is awsome at it . but having to drive 1500 miles one way makes it tough to due much with gas out there and back lodging food etc the cost is more than what west tech would charge by a bunch . just thought to share in case some of you might be searching for someone good to do this . these guys do a lot of dyno work for the major car mags and have an awsome rep . i will be going to see them after xmas to see what they can do . i will report back after i get my car done

XfireZ51
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Brad,

For that kind of money, you could fly me out there and I'll bring my tuning stuff. Or you could buy your own and do it yourself.

Hog
12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
You would still need to rent the dyno though. At least they do a chassis dyno tune both at WOT and braked for part throttle.

I have seen too many guys charge big bucks for doing WOT only tunes.
WOT tuning is the easy part, it's the part throttle that makes or breaks driveability.
What do you use for tuning?
I dabble in some OBD2 stuff using Tunercats 2. I was lucky enough to get a system before John sold the rights to Jet.
Are Tunercats OBD 1 definition files decent for the ZR-1's?

peace
Hog

sammy
12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
no the price west tech gave me included the dyno .or were you talking about dominic coming out ???/

sammy
12-01-2010, 08:39 PM
i do know that dominic knows his stuff about tuning our cars. i wish i could get someone to tell me what exactly to buy so i could try my hand at it . i love tuning my old carbed 408 mustang at the strip. i do think that there would be alot to learn to do a good tune on our cars . just dont have anyone here that wants to take the time to get me set up with what i need and how to go about tuning it . kinda wish i lived around ill.

XfireZ51
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
You would still need to rent the dyno though. At least they do a chassis dyno tune both at WOT and braked for part throttle.

I have seen too many guys charge big bucks for doing WOT only tunes.
WOT tuning is the easy part, it's the part throttle that makes or breaks driveability.
What do you use for tuning?
I dabble in some OBD2 stuff using Tunercats 2. I was lucky enough to get a system before John sold the rights to Jet.
Are Tunercats OBD 1 definition files decent for the ZR-1's?

peace
Hog

It would take a lot of dyno time to replicate part throttle real world driving. I could see it done using an engine dyno. I started out using TC for bin editing but like TunerPro these days. I use EASE for datalogging and Moates Ostrich for emulation. I've probably burned over 1500 different calibrations between the Xfire and the LT5 motor and not all had to do with just VE and Spark.

Hog
12-02-2010, 11:05 AM
It would take a lot of dyno time to replicate part throttle real world driving. I could see it done using an engine dyno. I started out using TC for bin editing but like TunerPro these days. I use EASE for datalogging and Moates Ostrich for emulation. I've probably burned over 1500 different calibrations between the Xfire and the LT5 motor and not all had to do with just VE and Spark.
It does take a lot of time to simulate real world driving, but it can be done on a braked dyno. It allows each TPS%/load to be held longer than on the street and for each cell to be dialed for max torque. A few of the better OBD2 tuners do part throttle tuning on the chassis dyno, which is why their cost is higher. But i guess it all depends what equipement you use. As you know, emulation speeds up the process considerably.

Emulation as you know, reduces tuning time considerably. Moates' Roadrunner works well for OBD2 emulation.

I am happy to hear that you dont just tune VE and spark. There is so much more to tuning that that.

Do you like Ease? I have been eyeing Ease for a while.
Did you get your copy from John at TeamZR-1? He seems to be quite knowledgeable.

Thanks for teh response.

peace
Hog

Hog
12-02-2010, 11:06 AM
no the price west tech gave me included the dyno .or were you talking about dominic coming out ???/

Sorry Sammy, my questions were directed at X-fireZ51.

peace
Hog

XfireZ51
12-02-2010, 12:00 PM
It does take a lot of time to simulate real world driving, but it can be done on a braked dyno. It allows each TPS%/load to be held longer than on the street and for each cell to be dialed for max torque. A few of the better OBD2 tuners do part throttle tuning on the chassis dyno, which is why their cost is higher. But i guess it all depends what equipement you use. As you know, emulation speeds up the process considerably.

Emulation as you know, reduces tuning time considerably. Moates' Roadrunner works well for OBD2 emulation.

I am happy to hear that you dont just tune VE and spark. There is so much more to tuning that that.

Do you like Ease? I have been eyeing Ease for a while.
Did you get your copy from John at TeamZR-1? He seems to be quite knowledgeable.

Thanks for teh response.

peace
Hog

Hog,

I knew about the braked dyno and simulating various loads on the car but you also have temp compensation, both coolant and ambient, for instance that would still require road work. The OEMs with all their sophistication still rely on that. The dyno can certainly cut road time down considerably getting to the right tune however. I know that Marc uses an engine dyno for motors being shipped overseas as an example. EASE is good. Not available any longer as a personal copy as I understand it. I got mine 10 years ago. One issue with EASE is that it only records rpm to 6300. So I needed a mod to the ALDL datastream to get actual rpm in the log. For > 6000rpm work, the datastream is still a bit slow so I mostly rely on the WB
log at 35frames/sec. As long as you can get MAP, TPS, AFR, RPM WOT can be tuned.

Coupe89
12-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Thoughts on JR in Oregon?

Hog
12-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Hog,

I knew about the braked dyno and simulating various loads on the car but you also have temp compensation, both coolant and ambient, for instance that would still require road work. The OEMs with all their sophistication still rely on that. The dyno can certainly cut road time down considerably getting to the right tune however. I know that Marc uses an engine dyno for motors being shipped overseas as an example. EASE is good. Not available any longer as a personal copy as I understand it. I got mine 10 years ago. One issue with EASE is that it only records rpm to 6300. So I needed a mod to the ALDL datastream to get actual rpm in the log. For > 6000rpm work, the datastream is still a bit slow so I mostly rely on the WB
log at 35frames/sec. As long as you can get MAP, TPS, AFR, RPM WOT can be tuned.
Excellent, thanks for your input. I agree with you when you say that road work is still needed, no matter how much dyno time is needed.
I wasnt trying to re-educate you, as I know zero about OBD 1 tuning.
Thanks for your insight.

peace
Hog

XfireZ51
12-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Excellent, thanks for your input. I agree with you when you say that road work is still needed, no matter how much dyno time is needed.
I wasnt trying to re-educate you, as I know zero about OBD 1 tuning.
Thanks for your insight.

peace
Hog

Hog,

I didn't take any umbrage to what you were saying. We're cool!

Hog
12-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Hog,

I didn't take any umbrage to what you were saying. We're cool!
Good stuff, XfireZ51, its all good..

peace
Hog

Ccmano
02-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Sammy, have you had your car tuned yet?:happy1:
H
:cheers:

sammy
02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
no not yet have been very busy. i have an appt set for feb 16th