PDA

View Full Version : Storage Question

Greenvetter
01-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Here's the scenario:
You live in an area of the country where the Z isn't going to see road time in the near future due to salt, snow, dirt, potholes, etc.
Here's the question:
Do you put in on the tender, put some fuel preservative in it, and leave it for spring?
Do you put in on the tender, do the fuel preservative and start it once a month and let it run for till it gets up to temp?
Do you do nothing?
:icon_scra

Nick
01-08-2006, 11:24 AM
How much storage time are we talking about here? I think your #2 scenario is a good strategy overall.

ralph92ZR1
01-08-2006, 01:54 PM
This is also my first winter for my ZR-1, but when I had a '69 here is what worked well for me [pray for an early Spring]:

1. Fuel preservative into a full tank of fresh gas.
2. At least one time each month, when the roads are at least dry, I would run around the block several times until the temp came up to get condensate out of exhaust.
3. Battery tender every other week until Spring.

TommyL
01-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Just leave it...I dont start it beacuse it only sits for 4 months or so. The added condensation will not totally burn off. If its cold, as the engine and exhaust cools, condensation will acumulate again...especially in the muffler. If the car is to be stored longer the 6-8 months fog the motor or fill it up with motor oil, remove the battery, moisture bags and plug the exhaust with steel wool.

ZR-1 Mack
01-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Depending on where you are storing it a few mouse traps with peanut butter and moth balls underneath the car can also save you a pile of money. Other people also use dessicant and dryer sheets inside and around the ECM, silicone the weatherstripping , loosen the bolts for the top and lower the windows a little before covering to help protect the weatherstripping.

I started my car today because it was over 40 degrees and I noticed the battery was low... so for the rest of the winter I will put on the tender every other week.

Greenvetter
01-08-2006, 09:38 PM
I think my plan is going to be the fuel prep, battery tender, leave it for spring strategy. It will only be a few more months till I'm rolling again. I agree with the condensation concern. Thanks.