PDA

View Full Version : lumbar pump repair

MarvinE255
01-06-2006, 01:51 AM
In the past there were many posts on the ZR-1 net on how to repair the lumbar pumps using a piece of rubber glove. Need help in locating the repair proceedure or a description of the method. Thanks Doc

We Gone
01-06-2006, 07:11 AM
Here ya go..did my 90 works good as long as the bags and fittings are good...This came from Corvette Forum under the C4 tips..

This tip provides additional information to the Tech Tip "FIXING YOUR C4 SPORT SEAT LUMBAR SUPPORT" authored by Bob Thibodeau on 6/15/2001. 1. An alternative source for material to replace the ruptured diaphragm is a bicycle inner tube. It is much thicker than the original diaphragm, and should provide longer "life". To prepare the tube, cut a square about 2" X 2". Locate the center of the square by intersecting the lines from each corner. This will provide the location for the center screw. If the screw is off center, you will develop a "rolling pulsation" , which is not as efficient as a "verical pulsation". 2. Using a compus placed at the center mark, draw a circle 11/4" in diameter. Cut out your circle precisely, and now you have your diaphragm replacement. 3. The pump is held in positon by three bolts. The heads of the bolts are located under the seat, and the nuts are recessed on the top, which requires removal from the under side of the seat. 4. When reinstalling the pump, it is recommended to replace the bolts with screws and self locking nuts. Installing the screws from the top will allow you to use a screw driver for ease of installation. I found that when using self locking nuts, only two were required to sufficiently fasten the pump to the seat. With the "inner tube" replacement diaphragm, I am able to compare pump production with the original diaphragm in the passenger seat. The inner tube diaphragm provides a more rapid inflation of the lumbar bladder.

WB9MCW
01-06-2006, 07:06 PM
We gone u are so resouceful!!! Good going!!!

MarvinE255
01-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the info. Doc

Z Factor
01-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Welcome Marvin:handshak: , glad to see you posting. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

WB9MCW
01-07-2006, 06:01 PM
yes welcome.... mr marvin!!

evl_twn
08-19-2006, 01:59 AM
I've got an intersting problem/question. My lumbar pump works fine, and all three center bladders are working. The problem I have is one of the side bolsters doesn't work. I've had the seat base off, and swapped the hoses so it's not a problem with that particular "port" under the seat, but a problem with the line/bladder itself. Any thoughts on the best way to tackle this? How hard is it to get to the "guts" of the seat and see what's happening?

We Gone
08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
Side bolsters are electric.. You will have to pull the upper center section of the seat out.

evl_twn
08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Even on the sport seats on a '94? Looked like air tubes going to both sides, and only one side works. I swapped the connections, so it's not that "port" on the under seat unit, it's in the seat itself.

We Gone
08-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Even on the sport seats on a '94? Looked like air tubes going to both sides, and only one side works. I swapped the connections, so it's not that "port" on the under seat unit, it's in the seat itself.

Well you got me on that one I know they are up to 93..and on my 04..I'll look in the parts book when I get home.

OK, you are right the book shows bladders for the sides on the newer style seats. The older ones are powered by an elec. motor.

Steve

evl_twn
08-27-2006, 05:05 AM
Fixed it tonight. I went out and got some Lexol to clean and protect the seats, so I went ahead and pulled the driver's side seat out (better to clean it that way, too :mrgreen:) and had a look inside. I should have taken some pics, but what I found was a bracket was actually missing that holds the right side inner side bolster in place, and the return spring was loose inside the seat. The plate sort of hinges, with the air bladder sandwiched in between. I'm not sure how it came apart, or what happened to the bracket, but I ended up making one out of aluminum stock I had laying around. The inner bolster was not even in the correct "hinged" position, it was just loose inside the seat, and so was the air bladder. Kinda makes me wonder what happened to it. All is better with my interior now though, all clean and the seats even work :thumbsup:

WB9MCW
08-27-2006, 09:59 AM
GOOD JOB AND NICE DETAILED FOLLOW UP FOR OTHERS

evl_twn
08-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Well, I should have taken some pics while I was in there to help someone else out if they're having problems, too. Here's the seat section of the microfiche from Kurt White's page, the bracket that was missing is part #45, it keeps the moving plate (23) from sliding off the fixed plate (24), and the air bladder (9) also is fixed to the moving plate by sliding over the tabs that it hinges on.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/46804/i/database/seat%20assembly%20&%20hardware%20-%201994-1995.jpg

We Gone
08-28-2006, 09:29 AM
:thumbsup: Glad you got it fixed..