PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearings/U-joints

secondchance
09-18-2010, 06:30 PM
After meeting Phil at the Great Falls coffee and car I went over to his house and we started with pulling half shafts followed by wheel bearings. It took a large hammer, huge C clamp and a vice to persuade U-joints out.
Needless to say, after 10 years and 70,000 miles, both wheel bearings were pretty tired. Also noticed quite a bit of scoring on one U joint.
Phil, being a neat guy insisted on cleaning and even taking wire brush to heavily rusted pieces - yokes.
With half shafts out of the way bearing hubs were pretty easy to remove.
After buttoning everything back up he somehow sweet talked upper K member to side frame bolt which I was convinced to be stripped (hole in the frame not the bolt). This took care of an arthritic clunk I was getting coming to a stop.
Combination of new wheel bearings and U-joints eliminated trashy, clanking noises I was getting going over patchy roadwork - kind that makes the tail twitch from side to side.
Finally the rear suspension sounds the way it use to when young!
Sounds simple but the actual work took solid 9 hours but worth it and more.
I am slowly running out of stuff to do... Can't believe it!:-D

Scrrem
09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Good job Yun, you have been chasing that noise for a while now.
Rich

secondchance
09-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Phil did the work - I helped. At least I know the sequence and procedure.

ZZZZZR1
09-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Phil did the work - I helped. At least I know the sequence and procedure.

Wazooooo! Awesome!

Glad things worked out and your happy Yun!

:cool:

secondchance
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks David. You da one who got me started. Now I can't stop!

VetteMed
09-18-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm doing the same stuff on my 189,000 miler -- all original parts - talk about crusty! One of the u-joint endcaps was grenaded, no needle bearings left, all seized metal on metal. Guess that's where that clunking was coming from! :)

QB93Z
09-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Good job Phil and Yun!

Jim

secondchance
09-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks, Jim. Another skill set.