PDA

View Full Version : aluminum flywheel

skypilotlt5
12-29-2003, 11:55 PM
I want to install an aluminum flywheel in my 90 but have a concern that hopefully someone can address. The factory dual mass unit come drilled for balance weights on the backside of the flywheel. From what i have seen and read from different suppliers the aluminum units do not. replacement with a factory dual mass unit requires replacing these weights in the exact location as the original flywheel to maintain proper engine balance. Why would this not be a concern when installing the aluminum single mass unit? Anyone have any thoughts or experiene?

Z Factor
12-31-2003, 02:07 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Someone should be along to give you advice :idea: since I imagine some Z owners have done this in an effort to save a few precious pounds.

rkreigh
01-04-2004, 10:09 PM
the factory flywheels has "balancing pins" to fine tune the balance.

if you balance the replacement flywheel according to the balance of the factory wheel you should be close.

however, many have just installed it neutral balanced and not really noticed anything.

you might not be able to balance a nickel unless you balance it!!!

WB9MCW
01-08-2004, 12:38 AM
go to this thread on the lt5 site for my complete exp. on going to hi-po clutch setup in the lt5 and get ready for the rattle its not too bad for the trade off of great hole shots plus u get to save that dual mass stock flywheel for the next owner (they do wear out most by 100k the stock ones ) and welcome to the forum . http://www.lt5registry.net/forums/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=8&Topic=289 :chainsaw:

skypilotlt5
01-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks forthe replies on the aluminum flywheel and clutch question. Ihave decided to replace all 3 pieces and balance the new flywheel to the stock one. Then just turn the radio up a little more!!
Appreciate the help.
Rob Bissett

Mika73
05-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks forthe replies on the aluminum flywheel and clutch question. Ihave decided to replace all 3 pieces and balance the new flywheel to the stock one. Then just turn the radio up a little more!!
Appreciate the help.
Rob Bissett

Did you do it and how do you like new flywheel ??