PDA

View Full Version : vortex intake

RICKYRJ1
12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
My 95 came with the vortex air intake, is this a good unit? I'm not thrilled with the looks of it and it looks like it could have been mfg. a little better. I know I'm being picky here, but it is my one and only Z. Only other mods on the car are B&B exhaust and B&M short throw shifter. Will the stock unit with a K&N be just as good? The car has the stock chip in it, should this be upgraded also? I"m new 2 this game so I'm still trying to learn all the rules. Thanks, from a rookie. Rick

Z Factor
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi Rick,

A couple of quick points.

The vortex, if it is the one I am thinking of has not been proven to increase HP by anyone on the forum that I know of. A few of them liked it for the look, or for the sound they felt it had, but no dyno numbers to show any increase. Maybe this thread will bring new info on it. Many have come to the conclusion that the stock intake with a stock or K&N filter is as good as you can do without permanent modification, aka forced air.

As to the chip, the more mods you add, the more the chip would be needed. On your ZR-1 it can help some if you want to disable the CAGS, keep it running a little cooler, etc., but it will not be a seat of your pants type of mod. As you can see from the poll, there are many choices, and while most tuners chips do similar things, there are differences.

http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/showthread.php?t=852

:cheers:

Aurora40
12-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Can you take a picture of it? I'm just curious what it is, never heard of it.

Jeffvette
12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
It is garbage, pure and simple. The clear housing collapses and doesn't seal anymore.

Z Factor
12-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I am assuming this is what you are referring to.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=39535&dept%5Fid=1758

RICKYRJ1
12-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I am assuming this is what you are referring to.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=39535&dept%5Fid=1758
Correct that is the one. Jeff is also correct the unit looks like it is warped and does not seal. Looks like I will install the stock unit or if anybody has any other suggestions let me know. Thanks again

Kevin
12-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Stock with a clean paper filter or K&N is the only way to go. I think I have a spare stock one if you need it

RICKYRJ1
12-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Stock with a clean paper filter or K&N is the only way to go. I think I have a spare stock one if you need it Thanks Kevin, looks like I will be putting on the stock one with a new filter. Any bolt on bolt off mods you guys think I should have, let me know. I always want the option of putting her back to stock in the future. Rick

Kevin
12-17-2005, 01:44 AM
if you don't have a reinforced air duct on the car I suggest getting one. I think that the air duct has been discontinued by GM and I may have a spare that I can sell you if you need it.

Locobob
12-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Used to have a Vortex: Good idea, very poor execution. Mine warped and cracked all over. I also suspect it was a restriction on my 368 - the duct necks down to a 3in id circle where the filter slips on, my throttle body injests air through two 2 1/2in circles.

1990 quasar blue
12-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Stock with a clean paper filter or K&N is the only way to go. I think I have a spare stock one if you need it

I agree. The only thing that I might add is an open lid.

Kevin
12-20-2005, 07:48 PM
I agree. The only thing that I might add is an open lid.
doh, I forgot that. Yes the open lid is a nice touch also