PDA

View Full Version : Undercarriage - steam clean

secondchance
06-13-2010, 07:35 AM
WAZOO,

My car has been a daily driver for many years and has accumulated quite a bit of oil fume and dirt build up especially under the motor.
I thought about putting the car on jack and using Gunk, Simple Green, etc... but I was not convinced of expected result.
Having searched around, I think I found an outfit near Baltimore and they seem to have steam machine w/ necessary adaptor for auto under carriage.
I believe, since this is low/medium pressure, this method should pose less of a possibility of moisture getting into weatherpak and corroding pins.
I wouldn't use steam to clean the motor but around the motor, bottom of the motor, four corners of the suspension and undercarriage.
Would any other WAZOO member be interested? If I see sufficient interest, I could call and get a group pricing so that we can get together at their shop and get our bottoms spanking clean.:mrgreen:
http://www.baltimorecarpetcleaning.com/Auto-Interior-Cleaning.asp

QB93Z
06-14-2010, 08:01 AM
This sounds interesting Yun. Do they do the spraying or is it do-it-yourself with their equipment. I would be willing to give it a try just to see how it works out. Count me in.

Jim

secondchance
06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
I would think they will insist on doing themselves - liability.
I am also checking to see if I can rent a good one which will most likely be cheaper. So far no luck... I am looking for a steam vapour cleaner w/ about 250 degree steam and decent pressure w/ long wand.

jrd1990zr1
06-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Guys,

I bought a wand at Harbor Freight that you hook to compressed air and put the secondary tube into a mix bottle, I used simple green mix. I wrapped a cheap tarp around four 2x4s for a capture area under the car and cleaned the front of my engine this way. Worked great and did it right in my garage. Worst part was the simple green mist, need plenty of ventilation.

Also lifted the car on my lift and did the underside, just hung some cheap tarps so the overspray didn't hit the walls, bench, whatever.

The wand was less than $10.00.

:cheers: John D., WAZOO traveling companion to BG

secondchance
06-14-2010, 08:26 PM
I thought about using garden pump/sprayer and simple green at the condo car wash area.
I may take this route yet. But if I can find a car wash w/ medium pressure steam, I thought I would treat my car after all these years of daily service - like a relaxing steam bath after sweaty day of labor.:mrgreen:

rkreigh
07-06-2010, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't use simple green. it can corrode and pit the alum parts

take a decent degreaser, I used the orange stuff that was cheap, or dilute some purple power and put it up on the lift and let it soak. next think I did was use a simple "scunzi" seteam wand. it wasn't really powerful enough and "elbo grease" and 000 steel wool really worked great at getting the tough stuff loosened up and clean.

would I do it again, well, it's kinda like hiding a brick by throwing it way up in the air (works for a little while)

seriously, it did help the appearance quite a bit but for a daily driver you'll be surprised how dirty it gets, especially if you get caught in the rain *(like at BG every year!!)

sounds like another wazoo event, many hands make light workusa

secondchance
07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Hey, Ron,
So this thing about USAF not using Simple Green is true?
From your post, it sounds like Purple Power is a better choice.
We, Jim, David and, I have been kicking around an idea where we rent a commercial kitchen steam cleaning equipment (300 degrees F and about 70 psi steam), let the undercarriage soak in some kind of degreaser (Gunk or Purple Power) and then steam it off.
What do you think?