PDA

View Full Version : Honest answer.

BBBAD94ZR1
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I really have my heart set on getting a Zr1 in Febuary however I have read lots or negative feedback on getting parts for these cars. I had a 86 Gn and it was hard to get parts especially body parts. I would hate to get the car and have to wait around for weeks for a simple sensor etc.
Please give me some feedback good and bad. Dealerships have told me most parts are now discontinued.

Thanks
RAY:neutral:

Jeffvette
12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
There is plenty of parts support. Out there. Nothing not to worry about. Most parts counter guys don't even know what a LT5 is.

RICKYRJ1
12-13-2005, 10:50 PM
It all depends on what your definition of hard is. These cars are not a dime a dozen like the LT1's are. The price of admission is high but well worth the ride. I had the same concern when I started looking but the corvette community is tight nit bunch and the ZR1 guy are even better. Everyone I have spoken with the past 6 months has been very helpful and erased any concerns that I had. I could not be happier with my purchase. It is still a C4 Corvette except for the engine and 3" wider ***. Call me on my cell anytime Wed. I'm free all day

Z Factor
12-13-2005, 10:59 PM
I agree with Jeff in that there are a lot of misinformed people out there, so don't believe everything you here. [-X

When I first started looking for my ZR-1, I had some knowledge of the car, but not enough to override the horror stories I was hearing about parts availability. I had heard that no water pumps were around, and that some owners had their cars down for 6 months waiting for a simple water pump.
While there are some parts no longer made by GM, there is old new stock, or aftermarket parts to take their place. I have yet to find one part that could not be had either through GM or the aftermarket community. The corvette community in general takes care of their own, and if someone can get repro'd parts for a 1958, I would think we should be able to get parts in the future.

Owning a ZR-1 is a unique experience, so parts availability is not going to be like owning a Honda, but the thrill from owning ones of these great cars is well worth the small inconvenience or extra cost of parts.

:cheers:

BBBAD94ZR1
12-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the input, Im not concerend with the price of things only being able to get engine parts. Does anyone know of any shops in Nj that know the lt5 inside and out. I was a tech for Gm untill 1990 so never had any training or worked on one, never experienced any bulletins, drivabilty issues or repairs on one. Im sure I could fiqure anything out with a shop book. Its like you said most gm dealer tech's dont know what a lt5 is. Are internal parts hard to get like cranks, cams, injectors etc?
Sorry im being so anal but need to find out all the facts.

Thanks
RAY:icon_scra

tomtom72
12-14-2005, 09:12 AM
From one rookie owner to a potiential owner. The people here, senior members & new members alike, look out for us all. Trust me on that, Ray. I know it's a leap of faith but there is almost nothing like the attitude of the members in our Registry where keeping these cars alive & well is concerned. If you hang out a while you can see the genius & creativity at work. Plus there are sources that really care about getting us the right parts, from P & G Chevy to even individual members.

The only thing I know for sure is I'm not so affraid of owning & using my car after being a member here. Oh, the body parts are for sure scarce as hen's teeth. Ya know the stuff from the A-pillars back but ya know with a good body panel you can make a plug from which you can pull a mold from which you can make a part. Don't laugh because when I had my rockers off for cleaning I was toying with the idea of making a plug to make a mold to make a new part...I worked in a boatyard & learned the old way of doing fiberglass hull repairs...it isn't the same as they way our cars were made, sheet molded process vs lay up method...But if I had to I know I could make a rocker or a door skin or a rear 1/4 if I had a good one to pull a plug from. It would take me forever but it's not impossible. If we made our own test plugs & found some one to do the sheet molding we could make our own new body parts.

The motor speaks for itself. The parts for the motor, well sure some stuff is hard to get but IMHO most of us will do extreem P/Maint above & beyond so that stupid failures will not be too frequent. Major failures on a car that is driven well within the design limits and is maintained fanatically will probably not be an issue of major consequence. I'm no mechanic but I can't see an LT5 just falling apart or self-distructing. If you want easy parts then no an LT5 is not the right choice. But then any old vette or other sports car isn't either.

To quote some one..."let not your heart be troubled..." the members will find a way to get around whatever comes up. The only thing us rookies have to do is pay attention so we can carry on the traditions of the Registry.

This is just my perception of what's going on in the KOTH world & I could be out in left field...but I don't think I am.:mrgreen:
Tom, "rookie":icon_scra

RICKYRJ1
12-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Circle Chevy in Shrewsbury NJ has a ZR1 mechanic. Take 537 east, its not far from you and around the corner from me.

BBBAD94ZR1
12-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Im in, Im going for it, you guys are great and as long are there are folks like you out there I feel better about buying.
Thanks again.
RAY:cheers:

91King
12-14-2005, 04:10 PM
Ray

Once you take the plunge you won't be sorry. The sound of the car in a hard pull is so intoxicating you may start to hear it in your sleep.

ZR-1 Mack
12-14-2005, 06:53 PM
I haven't had mine out since Thanksgiving when I gave my 21 year old son a couple Depend's moments in 2nd and 3rd gear. He now has some appreciation of what the ZR-1 can really do. Can't wait for the Spring!

BBBAD94ZR1
12-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Nice.... cant wait to do the same with my kids....

Nick
12-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Im in, Im going for it, you guys are great and as long are there are folks like you out there I feel better about buying.
Thanks again.
RAY:cheers:

Great news; you won't be disappointed. Plenty of support in the community. :thumbsup: