PDA

View Full Version : Warning!! Leather Cleaner

GrayZ
05-21-2010, 07:21 PM
As many of you know i own a low mileage, Caddy XLR

I was piddling in the garage today, and decided to clean the seats and steering wheel, on the XLR.
well, to my dismay, I gots a problem

I read directions, so, decided to wet a fiber towell, spray some
of the Adams Leather Cleaner on it, and proceeded to scrub down
the driver seat and steering wheel. It's clean
but....the leather color is gone.

I'm beside myself, car has only 19k.

Hammer
05-21-2010, 09:49 PM
As many of you know i own a low mileage, Caddy XLR

I was piddling in the garage today, and decided to clean the seats and steering wheel, on the XLR.
well, to my dismay, I gots a problem

I read directions, so, decided to wet a fiber towell, spray some
of the Adams Leather Cleaner on it, and proceeded to scrub down
the driver seat and steering wheel. It's clean
but....the leather color is gone.

I'm beside myself, car has only 19k.

Dude, you're supposed to test an area first. How can the leather color be gone, dull maybe, but gone!!!

If they were black, you could possibly redye them. Shoe polish dye would probably work and then use some VRT to shine it up.

Sorry to hear that Keith.

Dylan@Adams
05-22-2010, 09:56 AM
As was mentioned, you always test a cleaner on an inconspicuous area first to test for color fastness, but I'm at a loss to explain how or why you would've had any issue, especially on caddy leather unless it was already failing or in some form is disrepair. The reason this seems especially strange to me is that all factory GM leather is coated with a clear urethane, it would take an EXCESSIVE amount of scrubbing or a case of extreme misuse to get thru that layer an into the colored leather.

What kind of condition were the seats in when you started? Was there excessive wear on a bolster or something where the problem occurred?

I've used this product at full strength on every form of leather you can imagine for YEARS and never had an issue where the color was "gone".

Please contact our customer service first thing monday morning so we can try to assist you: 866-965-0400

xlr8nflorida
05-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Have the seats been touched up or dyed in the past?

GrayZ
05-23-2010, 07:17 AM
The car has 19,0oo miles.

xlr8nflorida
05-23-2010, 08:38 AM
The car has 19,0oo miles.

Yes, I saw the mileage in you original post. That still does not rule out leather work on your car though.

Are you sure it has not had work in the past?

The porsche dealer down the road specializes in very low mileage Porsches.
They repair leather seats all the time and many are sub 20,000 mileage cars.

Accidents can happen at all different types of mileage. I have no clue about adams products although they have a great reputation. I use Zaino and I have rubbed it into many leathers without issue. But if you rub it into a Dyed seat or steering wheel that is a completely different story.

Dylan@Adams
05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Leather is damaged by UV rays and all other manner of things, lack of conditioning in the past only accelerates deterioration. UV rays don't care if your car is moving or parked so mileage in regards to the condition of the leather prior to use of the product is irrelevant. I could show you plenty of low mileage cars with interiors in horrible condition.

What was the condition of the seat prior to cleaning? Had it been treated and conditioned regularly in the past? Had other cleaning products been used/tried before? Did this spot show signs of excessive wear prior to using the cleaner?

Have you called in to customer service yet so we can assist you? 1-866-965-0400

GrayZ
05-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Dylan, thanks for the quick reply,

my car is perfect in all regards, when i purchased the vehicle it
had 13,000 miles, if anything would of happened before i'm sure the dealer that
owned this particular car would have fixed it with a new seat cover.. i dunno what happened
i've used most all of you're products and never had a problem.
I had another incident a couple years back with meguiars wheel cleaner,
i guess sometimes stuff just happens.
i will call customer service, it's nice to see a company willing to
stand behind one's product.
I have been busy at work but will try to call sometime today, thanks