PDA

View Full Version : 89 Prototype ZR-1 at Mid America Motorworks

Nick
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Has anybody seen Mike Yeager's '89 prototype resurrected ZR-1 at Mid America Motorworks in Effingham, IL? I had a chance to take a good look at the car over the Thanksgiving holiday at his museum. Tyler, any info on this car? Mike wasn't there and the person who showed it to me didn't know a lot about it. The last two digits in the VIN were "80" I believe.
Anyway, it sure looked :cool:

Jeffvette
12-06-2005, 05:43 PM
No pics = BS :D

Nick
12-09-2005, 06:00 PM

I know; working on it but it might be a few months. Or another airplane ride. :sleepy1:

Tyler Townsley
12-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Has anybody seen Mike Yeager's '89 prototype resurrected ZR-1 at Mid America Motorworks in Effingham, IL? I had a chance to take a good look at the car over the Thanksgiving holiday at his museum. Tyler, any info on this car? Mike wasn't there and the person who showed it to me didn't know a lot about it. The last two digits in the VIN were "80" I believe.
Anyway, it sure looked :cool:

Not sure why but my browser did not show this thread. That car is one of the graveyard cars brought back from England by Ed Keith and Joel.
http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/prototype/sJoel_9.jpg
Mike bought it from Joel Steiglitz for 13,000 in 97. It has been at DRM being 'restored' since then. It is more correctly a Pilot 89 rather than a prototype. It is using 90+ running gear and I believe Gordon K helped get it running this summer. Unlike mind most of what you see is not the original parts, as you can see from the picture it was pretty well flattened in England. I would not be suprised if the actual motor for this car is not in the 89 car done for Joe Roebuck in 96 as the motor for that car is at SGC.
http://www.sirgalahad.org/tyler/prototype/89_14_restore1.jpg

Tyler

Nick
02-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Here ya go!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a1/skedadl/blueZR1.jpg

WB9MCW
02-14-2006, 11:46 PM
man that looks like a hell of a lot of work to get that back to showroom condition!!! how many hours TT did your 88 take?

Z Factor
02-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I know; working on it but it might be a few months.

A man good to his word.

Good follow up Nick =D>

Tyler Townsley
02-15-2006, 10:02 PM
man that looks like a hell of a lot of work to get that back to showroom condition!!! how many hours TT did your 88 take?

DRM started on Mikes Yeagers car back in 88 or 89. My car is/was untouched. The only time put in was installing the engine and getting it running, this took me time because no one had a correct wireing diagram and I had a couple of bad DIS modules. The car is complete, unrestored and I intend to leave it that way. It is the only complete untouched 88 zr1 known, the only real complete untouched 89s belong to GM.

Tyler

WB9MCW
02-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Ok well that explains why it looks the the way it does...meaning a tad off on the hood fit etc., no biggie, but adds to the authenticity of being a ZR-1 prototype!

Nick
02-16-2006, 12:09 PM
A man good to his word.

Good follow up Nick =D>

Thanks, it was my pleasure. :wink: