PDA

View Full Version : The Next WAZOO WMD - April 3rd

QB93Z
04-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks to everyone who came out to the LT5 Teardown. I had a great time.

The next Westminster Maintenance Day (WMD) will be Saturday, April 3rd. We plan to start about 9:00 AM.

The place is Jim's Garage in Westminster, Maryland.

We will be replacing Rich's clutch and installing a light weight flywheel.

The lift will be busy but if any one has any other maintenance items that we can work on together come on in.

If you have ever wondered about the performance pros and cons of a light weight flywheel, here is your chance to see it first hand. We will be doing a before and after comparison on Saturday.

Call me if you need directions or more info.

Jim
443-244-1347

secondchance
04-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I have my wife's sister, her daughter - Swedish niece and her husband visiting. I am hoping all the girls will be occupied shopping. In which case I will take niece's hubby (young Swede) and show him around good-ole American countryside - I am thinking Westminster, MD...:mrgreen:

Scrrem
04-01-2010, 10:41 AM
To beat yours and Darrin's "clutch replacement" record, I have to be under 3 hours....right? :mrgreen:
Rich

Jagdpanzer
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry I can't make it this weekend.
Be sure to have plenty of brake cleaner on hand for the Rich's job.

Scrrem
04-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry I can't make it this weekend.
Be sure to have plenty of brake cleaner on hand for the Rich's job.

Thanks Phil, will pick up break cleaner and red locktite....
Rich

QB93Z
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Excellent SC, It will be nice to meet your family and/or relatives.

Darrin has set a high bar for us to get over. Since your C-Beam has been out recently, I think we will get it done without any problem. I am not sure we will beat that time with the flywheel install.

Jim

Aurora40
04-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Hmm, as one considering the flywheel upgrade I may have to see this done!

ZR-1nce removed
04-02-2010, 06:59 AM
To beat yours and Darrin's "clutch replacement" record, I have to be under 3 hours....right? :mrgreen:
Rich

I hope you beat the existing record! Then Jim and I will have something to aspire to when we do his clutch and tranny. I will stop by when I get off work at 15:00, although I expect you will be finished by then. Good Luck!

RICKYRJ1
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I hope you beat the existing record! Then Jim and I will have something to aspire to when we do his clutch and tranny. I will stop by when I get off work at 15:00, although I expect you will be finished by then. Good Luck!

Hey poor ole' farmer, It takes you till 15:00 to count all those bags of money? :icon_scra I would call that 4-play not work :mrgreen: I have to work tomorrow, Everyone have a great weekend, I'll catch you all on the next WMD :thumbsup:

ZR-1nce removed
04-03-2010, 06:54 AM
How about a live video feed for us poor civil servants who are stuck at work today? I'm sure the WAZOO IT team can handle this without a problem, right?

QB93Z
04-03-2010, 08:08 AM
We thought about a live feed, but we realized that using the available bandwidth, we will be moving so fast that all you would see is a blur. :sign10:

Stop by on the way home, we will be sipping cold ones. :cheers:

Jim

QB93Z
04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Here we go! A WAZOO Semi-Live feed from the WMD.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/DSC03127.jpg

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp152/QB93Z/DSC03129.jpg

Jim

ZR-1nce removed
04-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Giddy-up! Keep up the good work fellers. Rich, don't forget about that top left bolt!!:mrgreen:

ZR-1nce removed
04-03-2010, 02:36 PM
What's the hold-up? I expected to see pictures of the completed project by now.

RICKYRJ1
04-03-2010, 06:57 PM
What's the hold-up? I expected to see pictures of the completed project by now.

I think they started on the cold ones to soon! [-X
Hard to work when your all mechanics are passed out on the floor :mrgreen:

QB93Z
04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Too many supervisors. :wink:

Jim

Aurora40
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Too many supervisors. :wink:

Jim
Hey man, I would have helped. But my hands were dirtier than his car, and I thought Rich might get mad... :razz:

secondchance
04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Hey, Rich,

How do you like it? The new clutch.

Scrrem
04-06-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey, Rich,

How do you like it? The new clutch.

Having some issues, not sure yet. Talking with Jim and Phil. The clutch is chattering pretty bad. It's probably from being installed in a car with an undercariage that's too clean :mrgreen:

Aurora40
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
So what's the update on this? Has it gotten any better?

Scrrem
04-12-2010, 03:13 PM
So what's the update on this? Has it gotten any better?

Bob,
Yeah, but the real issue was not with the installation but with the dumb-A$$ owner :o. The dynamics of this FW are WAY different than with the DM FW. You need a bit more RPM when engaging clutch, a who different feel. I had a chance to drive it some more yesterday and I am getting the hang of it. The guys at Carolinia Clutch said engagement would be different and would get better as the clutch breaks in.
Rich

QB93Z
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
I am glad to hear that you are getting used to the feel of the new clutch and flywheel. I have been standing by to do a reinstall.

How are your rear tires holding up? :)

Jim

secondchance
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Bob,
Yeah, but the real issue was not with the installation but with the dumb-A$$ owner :o. The dynamics of this FW are WAY different than with the DM FW. You need a bit more RPM when engaging clutch, a who different feel. I had a chance to drive it some more yesterday and I am getting the hang of it. The guys at Carolinia Clutch said engagement would be different and would get better as the clutch breaks in.
Rich

Great! Keep me informed. I am still considering LW SM flywheel.

Aurora40
04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
I am still considering LW SM flywheel.
That's right, you weren't able to stick around to hear it start up! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/leaving.gif

ZR-1nce removed
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
:jawdrop:That's right, you weren't able to stick around to hear it start up! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/leaving.gif

Yea, what he said.:thumbsdo:

Scrrem
04-12-2010, 05:47 PM
I am glad to hear that you are getting used to the feel of the new clutch and flywheel. I have been standing by to do a reinstall.

How are your rear tires holding up? :)

Jim

The quick wind up in all gears is really noticable, but I can say that the synco's rattle pretty good once the gear oil gets hot. Love the performance difference but I may look into getting a second trany and send to Bill B. to work his magic on.
Rich

secondchance
04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
That's right, you weren't able to stick around to hear it start up! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/leaving.gif

Sounds like syncro rattled when buttoned up and started? Hmmm...

secondchance
04-12-2010, 07:57 PM
The quick wind up in all gears is really noticable, but I can say that the synco's rattle pretty good once the gear oil gets hot. Love the performance difference but I may look into getting a second trany and send to Bill B. to work his magic on.
Rich

Are we talking "cryogenic" treatment???

secondchance
04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
:jawdrop:

Yea, what he said.:thumbsdo:

Darrin. Whatchu talking about? I didn't see you there. Did you show up late?:thumbsdo:

ZR-1nce removed
04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Darrin. Whatchu talking about? I didn't see you there. Did you show up late?:thumbsdo:

Yes I was late. Us civil servants sometimes have to work weekends. I did arrive before the job was done. Sorry I missed you.

secondchance
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes I was late. Us civil servants sometimes have to work weekends. I did arrive before the job was done. Sorry I missed you.

This time I am not! You would have ragged me about my car being dirty. Wait 'till you see me (with my car) next time.:mrgreen:

ZR-1nce removed
04-12-2010, 09:32 PM
This time I am not! You would have ragged me about my car being dirty. Wait 'till you see me (with my car) next time.:mrgreen:

I am anxious to see the new paint job. Is there any chance it will be ready for BG?

secondchance
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
I am anxious to see the new paint job. Is there any chance it will be ready for BG?

For sure.
It should be ready in 7-10 days - hopefully.
However, I am on a short leash...

Aurora40
04-13-2010, 12:38 AM
Rich
That quick wind-up is what tempts all of us. I think about an SM flywheel now and then. But all the ones I've heard sound pretty loud. If you can deal with the sound, though, the performance gain should be nice.

Does Bill B have a trans trick for reducing that noise?

Scrrem
04-13-2010, 06:32 AM

I thought I read a thread somewhere he can rework the synco to where it won't rattle, I need to verify that.

Scrrem
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM

Check out this link on Bill B's web site, play the imbedded movie.

http://zfdoc.com/S6-40remanufacture.htm

Rich

FU
04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
A BB transmission is one of the best mod's that can be done on a ZR1. I'm extremely happy with mine.Very worth while doing :thumbsup:
Drive a ZR1 with Bill's transmission in it. Nothing like it.

QB93Z
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for posting that clip Rich. That is an amazing difference!

Jim

Scrrem
04-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for posting that clip Rich. That is an amazing difference!

Jim

No problem, Yeah as soon as I can accuire a spare transmission, it's going out to Bill :thumbsup:
Rich