PDA

View Full Version : Puting the car away for the winter

RiceEatingZR1
11-21-2005, 10:38 AM
I am getting ready to put the car away for winter and I have thought abut getting some moth balls to put around the car. but I have some questions about them 1st are they harmful for my dog? not that Im going to let him eat them or anything. and when I put them down do I put them in a bag or anything? should I put them on the intake? sorry if I sound stupid about this but I have never used moth balls, and the reason I want to this year is because when I started the car in the spring I found that a rodent made a nest in my exhaust.

bobbyhi
11-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Best to stuff rags into the exhaust.

RiceEatingZR1
11-21-2005, 11:42 AM
i plan on doing that as well but I have heard stories about mice getting into the engine bay and chewing the wires or making nests. and I would like to avoid that as well.

Patton
11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
i plan on doing that as well but I have heard stories about mice getting into the engine bay and chewing the wires or making nests. and I would like to avoid that as well.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
They chew rubber vacuum couplers too, little fvckers.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just put mice traps around your car, works every time. Just make sure they're the type that slam their little brains out all over the place, do it for me, do it for everybody that has ever had a rat chew a part that is no longer made. Humane traps are for minivan owners.

tomtom72
11-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi Shaun,If you go to a hdware store and buy bronze or stainless steel wool and stuff that in the exhaust and then tape the exh. shut the mice will not get thru that. You also might try moth cakes instead of the moth balls. I'm no chemist but I'm not sure about pets & that stuff...maybe ask a vet?

You could also use those big bronze scrubbing pads to stuff the exhaust. The idea is the rodents can't chew thru the metal wool. Us building supers that work in rent racks use that trick to cut off escape into walls by stuffing the mouse/rat holes with metal & then plastering over it. The NYC rodents can eat thru masonary & plaster but not the wire lathing. Don't use std steel wool because of rust.

This is a bit out there but last winter was my first with a Z. I was so afraid of messing up the motor paint with moth balls that I used cakes instead. I picked out some spots that I thought would be likely entrance routes. I placed a moth cake on a Costco M/F on top of a freezer bag and laid the whole thing in the ingress paths. It didn't stink too bad as the garage I rented was unheated. I did place one on each cam cover, either side of the air intake hose using the coolant lines for a shelf. I put others under the car, at each corner & 1/2 way down each side & put one in the spare tire carrier. I did this after the first real snow where the DPW had to use salt. At that point there was no going out on the roads!

:cheers:
Tom

RiceEatingZR1
11-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Hey Thanks Guys I picked up some Moth Balls Last night and put them around the walls of the Garage. TomTom Thanks for the Tips I am going to get some Cakes and a few bronze scrubbing pads for the exhaust tips. I am also thinking about getting some good old Fashion traps to put under the car just incase :)

Patton
11-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I am also thinking about getting some good old Fashion traps to put under the car just incase :)

YA!!! GET SOME!!!
And when you snare the bastards, adorn little mice pig poles with the heads of the unfortunate. That learn the others what for. :thumbsup:

RiceEatingZR1
11-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Ill Tell you what if I get one Ill get a Picture and post it for you :-D

Patton
11-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Kickass. I'll be waiting! :sign10:

One trick we used in the desert, before you sleep for the night, catch and burn a scorpion or two in the fire. Other scorpions smell the burnt venom and stay away. I guess a method that old darwin taught them to avoid fires.

Lets see if it works with mice!! :sign10: that may be a bit overkill, but i'd be just the guy to find out.