PDA

View Full Version : New vette website and poll ?

WB9MCW
11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Remember the nickel on edge balenced on the plentium test that was part of the orig. ZR-1 adv. hype??? Well the guys at CV and I were curious so hence this poll/post!!! BTW the url for the new site is below check em out and say hi they even have a special ZR-1 section and want PIC'S of our rides!!! The revere the KOTH there!!!

CORVETTE VALLEY WEBSITE (http://www.corvettevalley.com)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Patton
11-15-2005, 12:35 PM
loose metal just waiting to find someplace to fall and get lost just really doesnt make me too comfortable. But If at gunpoint I'm sure it could do it, she is silky smooth.

bobbyhi
11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I agree with Patton. Mine runs very smooth but I can't imagine that the nickel would stay. I probably couldn't stand the nickel on my kitchen table either:mrgreen:

LeoLily
11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Can someone 'splain the test? I'm getting the impression it would be trying to balance a nickel on its side while the car is running??!?? :???:

bobbyhi
11-15-2005, 03:03 PM
That be the test................

Aurora40
11-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Mine fails. It failed a lot worse before, though. I suspect injectors will have it super smooth again.

FU
11-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Both my cars failed the test. May have something to do with the cam's.

corvettes
11-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Remember the nickel on edge balenced on the plentium test that was part of the orig. ZR-1 adv. hype??? Well the guys at CV and I were curious so hence this poll/post!!! BTW the url for the new site is below check em out and say hi they even have a special ZR-1 section and want PIC'S of our rides!!! The revere the KOTH there!!!

CORVETTE VALLEY WEBSITE (http://www.corvettevalley.com/)

Wow, this site is very nice!!!!!!! Thanks for mentioning the Valley here. We believe in connecting corvette enthusiasts worldwide and if you like to connect with us I can arrange that your site gets placed here:
http://www.corvettevalley.com/showthread.php?t=784

Also, we opened a ZR-1 section in your gallery to spam photos of your ZR-1 there if you like! :)

Let me know if you wanna hook up with the links!

:thumbsup:

Patton
11-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Ya, its not even the loss of the nickle im worried about... Its the abrupt finding of the nickle by some moving part at 150mph that has me worried.

You guys have seen the video of the nickle test right?

zr1mom
11-16-2005, 12:03 AM
On a truly good running LT5 engine you can balance a nickel. :thumbsup:

WB9MCW
11-16-2005, 01:04 AM
WELCOME CORVETTES to the site. I'll direct u to Z-factor the site mod to check on the recip. links request!! Hey Patton what is the link to the nickel vid if u know it post it so the guys can see the test..thnx..

cuisinartvette
11-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Never heard of that test, I'll have to try it. It runs dead smooth, bet it might.

tomtom72
11-16-2005, 07:44 AM
I thought that was some ad agency's B.S.! Okay so I know it is true now but I'm with Patton. I'd be the poor SOB to loose it & have it do something bad later. Is that test included in the video they gave with the owner's kits? I will try this later in the week because I thought of a way I will not loose the nickle if it falls over. I suppose a wine glass & no ripples isn't the same degree of difficulty? Only a 5.5 from the Ford judge, right?
:cheers:
Tom

Patton
11-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Can you imagine pulling the plenum for a fvcking nickle. :thumbsup:

Aurora40
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Is that test included in the video they gave with the owner's kits?
No, I don't recall seeing it. I just put the nickel on the plenum in the little valley in the middle. It's not gonna fly off, just fall over. I also kept my fingers right by it. I doubt you'll lose it in the engine unless yours really vibrates.

Patton
11-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Im mostly kidding,... mostly. :sign10:

Fort94z
11-16-2005, 06:50 PM
I've done it on mine. Use a nice new nickel not an old rounded edge one! :wink:

Patton
11-16-2005, 07:00 PM
I've done it on mine. Use a nice new nickel not an old rounded edge one! :wink:

:icon_scra

Say what? Polygonal nickels? Are you in Japan?

95ZR1#418
11-16-2005, 09:45 PM

Dosen't it have to be an Indian Head nickel??
:wink:

Patton
11-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Right, and only during a full moon. :mrgreen:

Kevin
11-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Gordon did it to mine in BG two years ago.

LeoLily
11-17-2005, 06:48 PM
You guys realize that now I'm going to have to do it just to prove to the hubby that it can be done, right? Only problem is...the hoods too heavy for me to lift by myself :rolleyes:

Fort94z
11-17-2005, 09:02 PM
:icon_scra

Say what? Polygonal nickels? Are you in Japan?

Clarification for the General,

Use a newly minted nickel, it has a better edge.:thumbsup:

robs90zr1
11-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I super glued it & tried @ 155mph - Never Moved -Long live the LT5

LuxZ
03-09-2006, 04:49 PM

CORVETTE VALLEY WEBSITE (http://www.corvettevalley.com)

I faced the test successfully a couple of years ago. It is a nice story.

I was driving in the south of France when a series of police bikers all the sudden appeared next to me and they requested me to stop the car. They quietly parked the (6) bikes behond my zr1, just asked me to open the hood.
The chief cop (who liked cars, he had a porsche pins on his shirt...) took a euro coin (not a nickel), asked me to keep the engine running, and put the coin on its edge, on the plenum/ the coin remained as such until he took it back; he looked at his mates, told them they did not know anything about sports cars, and said they would not be able to catch a car like that!
We then had a nice chat together, and he invited me to go full speed down the highway from Marseille to Nice, where they had a radar machine, and proposed to give me an official figure of how fast the car could go. Well I did not do the run, but it was nice to see nice cops!
:-D

Z Factor
03-09-2006, 10:53 PM
We then had a nice chat together, and he invited me to go full speed down the highway from Marseille to Nice, where they had a radar machine, and proposed to give me an official figure of how fast the car could go. Well I did not do the run, but it was nice to see nice cops!
:-D

Great story, but you passed on that offer :jawdrop:

tomtom72
03-10-2006, 07:28 AM
That is a great story! It's nice to meet people who know cars specially when they are the highway patrol!:mrgreen:

:thumbsup:

BBBAD94ZR1
03-14-2006, 09:52 PM
I did it. I have the link posted on the site.

TommyL
03-15-2006, 11:27 AM

Canadian nickel will not balance on my cars but the US nickel will balance on both.

falconfling
03-20-2006, 09:31 AM
OK so how does the confederate battle flag fit into an Australian vette show...nice...how DO they do the right hand conversion !

WB9MCW
03-20-2006, 08:44 PM
check out this one....

http://zr1netregistry.com/rthand.jpg

http://zr1netregistry.com/rthand2.jpg

http://zr1netregistry.com/rthand3.jpg

http://zr1netregistry.com/rthand4.jpg

http://zr1netregistry.com/rthand5.jpg

A26B
09-25-2007, 12:22 PM
A couple of months after I bought my 94 Zee in 2002, I met Gordon Killibrew in Eureka Springs, AR at the fall Corvette Gathering. Gordon introduced me to the nickel test. The engine was stock at the time with 68,000+ on the odometer and passed the test at idle. I've seen some guys "cheat" a bit and do the test with the engine revved to 1500~2000. I laugh a bit at the comments about losing the nickel. Just set it in the center of the plenum, it's not going any where, assuming the car is level. If all is as it should be, the nickel will balance on edge, parallel or perpendicular to the engine centerline.

I'm surprised so many weren't aware of the test. It's just part of the LT5 legend.

Now, no nickel test for me. I'm like Frank......thinking my cams would win out over the nickel now.

We Gone
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I have a vid of mine from idle to 3K just turned a few times...

cuisinartvette
09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
loose metal just waiting to find someplace to fall and get lost just really doesnt make me too comfortable. But If at gunpoint I'm sure it could do it, she is silky smooth.

Its only a nickel dont be skeered big guy. :occasion1

USAFPILOT
09-26-2007, 11:24 AM
So is there more or less leg room when the interior is switched to drive on the other side?

gbrtng
09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
So is there more or less leg room when the interior is switched to drive on the other side?
Less, unless they move the tunnel too.

kenthompson
09-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Did it to mine. Amazed my dad and my kids.

How long is it supposed to stay there? Mine was there for at least 30 seconds before I grabbed it.

KT

kenthompson
09-30-2007, 08:24 PM
I did it to mine the other day. How long is it supposed to stay there?

Amazed the kids and my dad.

KT

WB9MCW
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
KT---just long enough to make believers of em all!!!

CAV -- Mr Patton sold the Z last X-Mass time I do believe.

He said someday he would join us again when he scores another Z.

I sent him a PM of good will xmas cheer in Dec.-- and he reported back as told above.