PDA

View Full Version : My "new" ZR1

Anonymous
12-15-2003, 09:33 PM
I was lucky enough to get my hands on a mint red 1990 ZR1 w/15K miles black interior - I love it! My other toy is an ATI Pro Charger supercharged 2002 black Trans AM WS6/LS1 – running 8lb of boost - another rocket.The only thing I don't like about the ZR1 are the exhaust tips and lack of muscle car sound. My Trans Am has the adjustable Borla cat back and it goes from a rumble to obnoxious sound - depending upon the plates in the exhaust - I like that!Since I'm a little tight on funds right now (after springing for the ZR1), I'm not sure i can spring for an entire cat back for the ZR1. I guess I'd like to start with either exhaust tips, or, possibly muffler + exhaust tips (stainless or chrome) for a little more sound and to finish off that wide butt on the ZR1! I think I’d go for the muffler+tips if I can find a fit. I think the inlet pipes on the stock ZR1 to the muffler is 2 3/4" ?Can anyone please give a newbie some recommendations ranging all the way from strap on exhaust tips to replacement mufflers with nice tips?Thanks in advance for helping a newbie :)

Anonymous
12-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Z Factor

First of all, hello and welcome to the KOTH club.As to your exhaust dilemma, many of us are in the same boat. I still have stock exhaust, but am considering putting on headers if I can find a decent price on some. The Jeals are $1100 alone, not including anything behind them. Most everyone agrees that exhaust will wake up the ZR-1 even more than it already is. If you are going to go with an exhaust change, get some results, not just a sound signature change. A complete cat back from Flowmaster can be had for $500, and used, it can be found for under $200. This will not only improve the sound, but will also give you some extra horses to boot. Some people go with muffler eliminators and tips, but the results don't bear out the effort compared to a cat back system.Anyway, keep us up to date as to your endeavors, and post some pictures so we can see your new Z.

Anonymous
Thanks for your response, z factor!Could you please give me some hints as to where I might find these Flowmaster ZR1 systems - new or used? I think I'm looking for parts 9424501-L for muffler or 17115 for full cat system. Unfortunately, the Flowmaster cat system does not have stainless tips.Can you or someone please verify that the stock ZR1 inlet pipe to the muffler is 2.5 inches (and not 2.75 inches?)Also, I'd love to post pics, how do I go about doing that? I have the jpegs.Thanks(Edited by firebat at 11:15 am on Nov. 25, 2003)

Anonymous
Ok, think I answered part of my own question.I took circumference measurements of outer diameter of both stock pipes leading into muffler. The diameter is almost exactly 8 5/8 " or, 8.625". Using the formula for the circumference of a circle, c = pi X d where c is circumference, pi = 3.14159, and d is diameter, you get8.625 = 3.14159 X d, or, d = 8.625 / 3.14159 = 2.7454or, rounded 2.75". I repeated this measurement several times at the inlet of both mufflers - so, it's a pretty good bet that the diameter of the inlet pipes to the stock mufflers is 2 3/4".Comments? (Edited by firebat at 7:17 pm on Nov. 25, 2003)