PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage

91MinuteMan
11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Sorry if this topic has been beat to death but as I celebrate my 2 week anniversary of ZR1 ownership the frost is on the pumkin and the day of winter reckoning is nigh. This is my 1st computer controlled FI car that will be hibernating and other than fuel stabilizer I could use other tips on storing these specific cars. Trickle charger or battery disconnect?--and the like. Thanks, hope to get to meet you and your cars come spring.

yellowz
11-09-2005, 09:55 AM
hey larry
i use stablizer silicone all the weatherstrips put windows down just a hair put moth balls out under the hood at headlight area and up ner w/s and battery area,i also do same in the interior.I also wash and wax it and make sure i leave my battery tender on as it will kill the battery all winter.
then i write my self a note what i did tape it to the steering wheel and say goodnight till april.last thing i take out all my carpet savers and put the clutch pedal all the ay down to the floor and brace it against the seat wrapped in a towel using a 2x4 .this keeps the disc off the plate you dont want to get the disc welded to the pplate thats a job to free it.

peter:happy1:

zr1mom
11-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Check this out, great article.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/storage.html

A1990
11-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Check this out, great article.

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/storage.html

Thanks MoM...that about covers it! :thumbsup:

91MinuteMan
11-09-2005, 04:47 PM
I've been a CAC member for a few years now and forgot all about that thread. Thanks for the reminder, this will give me something to read tonight. The good news is today I rented a spot in a heated garage a few miles from my house without breaking the bank, quite a feat in the Boston area.

tomtom72
11-10-2005, 07:19 AM
I've been a CAC member for a few years now and forgot all about that thread. Thanks for the reminder, this will give me something to read tonight. The good news is today I rented a spot in a heated garage a few miles from my house without breaking the bank, quite a feat in the Boston area.

That's a great score! :thumbsup: I'm still looking for something that will not break the bank.
:cheers:
Tom

91MinuteMan
11-10-2005, 10:28 AM
My plan is to store the car with the battery disconnected. The person I bought the car from told me that the '91 OEM radio does not require a code to get it going when I fire it up in the spring. Can anyone confrim this?

TommyL
11-10-2005, 10:43 PM
There is no code needed for the radio. Don't forget to stuff rags into the tailpipes, critters love to nest in mufflers and pipes.

Tom
11-11-2005, 09:50 AM
I would be leery of braceing the clutch pedal on the floor with a hydraulic clutch actuation system like in the ZR-1. You will have the maximum system hydraulic pressure on the seals in the master and slave cylinders for the entire time the car is stored. Any seal that is not perfect will allow leakage past the seal and the seals rarely form a perfect seal.

Patton
11-11-2005, 01:44 PM
I would be leery of braceing the clutch pedal on the floor with a hydraulic clutch actuation system like in the ZR-1. You will have the maximum system hydraulic pressure on the seals in the master and slave cylinders for the entire time the car is stored. Any seal that is not perfect will allow leakage past the seal and the seals rarely form a perfect seal.

Ya, I was gonna say the same thing. Sorta on the same lines as loading your "oh shyt" mags half way for extended periods of time, unless of course you are talking about glock or H&K, they can take it. ANYWAYS I feel really sorry for you guys that have to put your Z up for the winter!! Jesus, you must go through withdrawls all winter long! That sucks! :thumbsdo:

95ZR1#418
11-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I back mine out the garage and run it till hot at least every 3 weeks or better. I then hit all the buttons & acessories, make everything to its thing. I found this to be the best preventive care especially with the injectors. I store it at ~65 degrees or warmer but do all the other winter storage suggestions including trickle charge-that works great. :wink:

LeoLily
11-15-2005, 02:44 PM
"Don't forget to stuff rags into the tailpipes, critters love to nest in mufflers and pipes."

Amen to that! Our Z was not run for approx 3 years and we found lots of "mouse traces" throughout the car when we got it...