PDA

View Full Version : 160 Without Secondaries

Patton
10-26-2005, 09:04 PM
I have been babying my Z since the discovery of my vacuum problem, lack of funds has drawn this problem out much longer than it could have been... The problem still persists but with my new set of tires I couldnt resist doing some "testing" HOLY SHYT this car is still fast without the secondaries. I refuse to believe it is anything under 300hp. Using my Accelerometer I did the 1/4 mile in 13.7 0-60 in 5. THEN I got on the freeway and was amazed to hit 160, sure it took awhile to get there compared to bieng in full, but the fact that I hit it at all is amazing. One thing that I did noticed however is the power, regardless of the gear, falls around 5.5-6.0k RPM and then dramatically drops off around 6.5k RPM.
Has anybody done a dyno in "Normal" mode,... Even if by accident? I'm sure somebody has "ooops"ed it and forgot to turn the key. Just curious as to others experiences with the key in normal. The Accelerometer detected 266RWHP by the way.

Kevin
10-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Ron did in bg a few years ago, but his car wasn't stock.

Patton
10-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks Kevin!,...
But ehhh,... Who is Ron and where is BG?? :icon_scra

Kevin
10-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks Kevin!,...
But ehhh,... Who is Ron and where is BG?? :icon_scra

Sorry. I'm used to posting on corvetteforum where almost everyone knows everyone. Ron is ron kregh (sorry ron if I got that wrong which I think I did) and BG is bowling green KY.

tomtom72
10-27-2005, 08:07 AM
Hey Patton, yea doesn't it feel like the car has more than 250 hp in "normal" mode? Here in metro NYC/suburbland/mini-van land I forget and leave the key in what I call the "beginner's" position alot. The car amazes me with the power it has w/o the secondaries.

The only time I remember to turn it "on" is when I cruise with other vettes, so I can keep up with all those C5's & 6's, in the CF/NE crew. They all mostly have modded Z06's so I need "Full Engine Power" to keep it respectable!

Oh, I recently discovered 2nd gear in full power mode...WOW...for use on long curving on-ramps! That's now my most favorite new toy! :mrgreen:

I know...rookies,ugh! they don't know squat! :o I'm learning!

Patton
10-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Yes Tom, 2nd gear was made for onramps! I have pulled over 9gs with these new tires... If pulling G's is your thing you have got to yourself an Accelerometer! Fun as ****, but kinda turns you into freakin michael schumacher at every turn, just to watch that little arrow go horizontal <-- and show at least a 7. :)

Kevin,
Ahhh Bowling Green, shoulda known that... My vette has the museum delivery plate uner the hood.

Jeffvette
10-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Hp in normal mode is almost the same as a L98. Roughly 230-250. In normal mode the car will struggle up over 5K.

Aurora40
10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Is your secondary system like disconnected, or just leaky? Mine leaks a fair bit but the secondaries still work to a strong degree (or so it seems). My car with the key off is like Jeff says. It reminds me of my '87 L98 down low, but then really seems to crap out above about 4k (even worse than the L98 did!). It makes me wonder if it can even pull to the redline without the secondaries.

Patton
10-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks Jeff,...

Hmmm,... Pull to the redline without secondaries,...... I'll let you know an answer to the after I drive home from work :dancing without the secondaries I feel bad for the poor engine when up that high, it just dosent sound right so I dont like to push it (without secondaries). I will give it a shot in 1st and 2nd, but I have tried on my 160 run to reach redline in 4th and it was not attainable,... A certain Mr. Isaac Newton was the rev limiter I believe.

My secondaries are completley NON-functional right now the vacuum pump sits in my garage and a golf tee plugs the hose. Besides I never turn the key to full because once the secondaries TRY to come on I get a SES light and I am limited to 3k rpm... NOT fun :( She'll be back soon though! :thumbsup:

Patton
10-28-2005, 01:13 AM
Okay my ride home was very quick to say the least but Im afraid I just couldnt bring myself to redline without the secondaries... regardless of gear It just doesnt NOT sound right above 5K or so RPMs... It doesnt sound right or feel right, I swear if the motor could talk it would be begging you not to do that to it! I am an agressive driver, yes,... However I am DEFINETLY not an abusive driver and going anywhere over 5.5krpm in normal mode is just NOT right.

The highlight of my drive home however was the freeway onramp,... A different one from my other post, with a more agressive turn. One of the settings on the Vector FX-2 is called Peak Hold where it retains the highest G rating you achevied since you turned it on and after holding 60mph through the onramp it showed <-- 1.05G's!! I sure as hell felt it too! AMAZING!! At the end of the onramp, the turn becomes even steeper and turning the wheel tighter to stay on track produced mild oversteer which was alittle unnerving to the minivan in the slow lane seeing a vette going faster than it already enter the freeway seemingly out of control, just let go of the throttle and SNAP frontend came right back on track. SO i guess that shows me that I break traction at 1.05G's,... rigt? I was totally shocked. I wish more people had these little accelerometers to compare data with. Geeze you'd think I work for beltronics or something. :thumbsup:

tomtom72
10-28-2005, 07:26 AM
Patton, That's cool! You're car had the museum delivery!! :thumbsup:

Forgive my ignorance but the accelermeter you are talking about is like those "G-Force" things I've seen in ads on car shows? I'm gonna go do a search. My mother would say "Don't encourage him!!!" Mikey is my hero from back before Ferrari, man can that guy drive in the wet. Now you see where I get this fixation with wet grip for my tires...I know my brain needs some couch time...like it needs a tune-up badly! :o

I agree about the key off thing & the rpms...it just doesn't feel correct & I can feel the wall start to come in at 4K rpms. Becareful of that throttle on oversteer, if you're too far in it & you lift, you'll be going the other way as a result. That's what killed so many early Pantera's.

Your enthuisasm is contagious! Beware the mini-vans! They call 911 up here sometimes when we are in a pack cruis'in in a spirited manner. :eusa_shhh

:cheers:
Tom

Tom
10-28-2005, 10:05 AM
There is a section in the shop manual that explains what happens with the power key off. The rev limit is reduced from the normal value of 7200. I forget what the reduced value is but I believe it is somewhere around 5000.