PDA

View Full Version : New Z06

bobbyhi
10-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Did anyone see the Z06 being tested on the Speed Channel over the weekend. What an awesome car!! I can see why people are lining up to purchase. A real "snake killer". I love my Z but I think maybe there might be a new King of the Hill. Only time will tell. I don't mean to be sacreligious by saying that...Only my opinion.

sledutah
10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I saw the show. WOW, it is mean. I told my wife, that is going to be my next car (in the garage next to the ZR1) :mrgreen: She didn't think that was too funny since I just bought the ZR1 last week :mrgreen:

Kevin
10-24-2005, 12:47 PM
The only way it will be the new KOTH is if it takes the same records we did, the same way we did.

Chris
10-24-2005, 05:25 PM
The only way it will be the new KOTH is if it takes the same records we did, the same way we did.

I agree - Still the King until the records are broken! :cheers:

WB9MCW
10-24-2005, 09:10 PM
Well we all know that the hand built pushrod 427 will never have the endurance to break the ZR-1 records, the only thing it will break is itself (JIMO) so why don;t we just call her "QUEEN OF THE HILL"--QOTH-- tempermental, fragile and emotional just like a woman!!! :-({|=

Patton
10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
I know we are all ZR-1 lovers here but she (new ZO6) has a bowtie just like the ZR-1, for christ sakes the same blood courses through her veins! Besides, I sat in one... and turned on the engine and even gave it a lil slap of the throttle at my buddies chevy dealership... Holy fuk stick is this thing is mean as hell... and i was just SITTING in it. I like how you can just tell there is something different by looking at it. It just sits totally different than the standard. Thats why I love the look of the ZR-1 so much because it has a different stance than the base model. The old ZO6 in my opinion didnt sit differently, sure it looked different and hung alittle lower but it just didnt STAND out like this monster does... and the 12 inches looks ALOT bigger in the back than 11 for some reason... Anyways what I am saying is, I think this thing would kick the hell out of a ZR-1 in any contest and I am a ZR-1 LOVER!!! Just my not so humble opinion. The dealership is Mike Daughtery and they have 2 right now! Both 20k over MSRP. :mad:

I just can't wait to see what LPE has in store for it, could you imagine a freakin TT version?

95ZR1#418
10-25-2005, 02:36 AM
Why am I reading this? I must need a new car...... :???:

tomtom72
10-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Saw one the other day, Sun. 10/23, joined our little group for a cruise. It kind of made up for me missing the speed show road test. I was out playing with the Z that night! :mrgreen:

My impression of runn'in with the Z06 on the road is that it is a leap forward in power & well the newer platform is better than the C4's. The power it has is very evident and well 500 hp is 500 hp. You know even the motor compartment looks a little better than a C5 or a std. C6 and the guy drew a crowd and was very proud of his car & the people gathered to look at the motor. I kept my hood closed until another C4 owner asked to see an LT5, then I had a small crowd. Even some C5/Z06 owners pointing and gesturing at the LT5. ;)

It's a different & better car than the ZR-1 for less money, comparatively. You know if you adjust for 1990 dollars vs. 05 dollars. Chevy was allowed to do the right thing, IMHO. The most obvious difference is on the highway and there is no substitute for power. If I could afford one, I'd buy one. I can't so I respect it for it's leap forward using the info from the C5R program. It's a different car with a different technology.

I envey the car but I am still in love with my ZR-1. I can still keep up fairly well with the C5's & C6's. The sound of the two motors is different. The 427 sounds a little like NASCAR/ American iron but the LT5 sounds more like watching F1 on speed. I'm glad I'm fortunate enough to own any vette, let alone a ZR-1! The LT5 still makes me :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Tom
btw, :thumbsup: to all the new Z06 owners, they have the new big stick from the factory!

95ZR1#418
10-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Very well stated "TomTom72". :mrgreen:

LeoLily
10-25-2005, 01:25 PM
We TIVO'd the program and just saw glimpses of it. Wow! I especially like the "Daytona Sunset Orange" (I think that's the name of the color...).

Patton
10-25-2005, 02:16 PM
My sentiments exactly Tom. :thumbsup:

A1990
10-25-2005, 03:50 PM
In a few years when the price comes down, I'll have one. 427 just sounds cool

Patton
10-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I hear you A1990,... What I like is the fact that it will bring '02-'04 ZO6 prices down,... slap a supercharger on a used '02 and you'd be around 560hp+ and still be just under $40K. I have a sneaky feeling people who are buying the new ZO6 at 20k over MSRP will be sorely dissapointed when the "HOLY CRAP, THE NEW ZO6!" wears off and next year they can be found for at or near MSRP. But hey, If you have the money to buy at 20 over than who cares?? I know if I had it,... I WOULD! :mrgreen:

Anywho, check this out.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/LingenfelterC6ZO6427CIDTwinTurboCorvette.htm

Oh yes.

WB9MCW
10-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Mr Patton do u really think the c6 z06 could go wide open for 5000 miles and not blow up the engine? The zr-1 did and not even a wink of problems(small rad. hose leak). Perhaps u have never read this article by Robin on the ZR-1!!! THERE IS GOOD REASON THE ZR-1 IS THE KING AND STILL IS!!!

ZR-1 CORVETTE - MARATHON CHAMPION OF THE CENTURY
by Robin Jenkins
Last Update: 10/24/2004

Marathon running is a brutal sport. The Greek messenger whose 26-mile-jog is commemorated by the race died of exhaustion 2500 years ago -- but only after completing his mission. Today we more often celebrate Olympic sprinters instead, forgetting that endurance is a surer mark of health and determination. Perhaps because it takes less than ten seconds to watch a sprint, those who run for hours don't as readily capture our attention. The same can be said for automobile racing -- 24-hour races are rare; 5000-mile races even more so. But, lest a true hero be forgotten in annual disputes over which new car quarter-miles the quickest, consider the undisputed marathon champion of automobile racing -- the gutsiest distance-racer ever built for the public.

Beginning in 1990 and ending with the 1995 model year, General Motors sold 6,939 Corvettes designated "ZR-1". Not to be confused with its more primitive namesake offered 20 years earlier, this ZR-1 was both luxuriously appointed and the fastest car built in America at the time -- not only in acceleration but on the highway, too. There were two features exclusive to the new ZR-1: each car came with a purpose-built, 32-valve, 4-cam, aluminum, LT-5 engine; and each was three inches wider in the rear than its sister Corvettes, in order to accommodate wider rear wheels and tires. Neither feature was obvious to the casual observer, but one of them made all the difference.

"The Heart of the Beast", as the ZR-1's LT-5 engine came to be called, was a huge departure from GM's traditional manufacturing style. It was designed in collaboration with Lotus Racing of Great Britain, and perhaps because it was hand-crafted by the women at Mercruiser Division of the Mercury Marine plant in Stillwater, Oklahoma, it was destined to become the strongest thump in ³The Heartbeat of America². The last of those amazing engines was pre-built in 1993 for installation in the 1994 and '95 model year ZR-1s. Yet, despite their age, LT-5 equipped Corvettes are thus far the fastest, mass-produced, distance-racers ever to appear on the planet.

The reason for the ZR-1's uncontested dominance at marathoning is that even the least potent of the LT-5 engines (375 hp) were designed to safely propel a Corvette to 180 mph, with absolutely no modifications, and still meet all EPA emissions and fuel-economy standards. On its first attempt, a 1990 model ZR-1 broke the world¹s record for covering the most ground in 24-hours. It ran all day and and all night, averaging almost 176 mph, including gas stops!

With the new 24-hour World Speed Record now in the bag, the VERY SAME CAR kept lapping the same eight-mile test track in Texas, until it had set a new World Speed Record for the longest specified distance -- 5000 miles, averaging almost 174 mph! Before this same ZR-1 finally pulled off that track, it ran two victory laps at over 190 mph, and Corvette owned TEN new International and World Records.

So, beginning with the 1991 model, the ZR-1 sported a tiny decal on the driver's side of the hatch glass, attesting to Corvette's new ownership of those national and international records; and by 1993, engineers had teased another 30 horsepower out of the engine. A few ZR-1s, whose owners tweaked the LT-5 engine beyond the factory's final 405 hp rating, have documented speeds in excess of 200 mph, yet remain fully tractable for general transportation. Few cars in the world, at any price, can reach such speeds in the first place, and fewer, still, are suitable for street use.

With a roll cage, a racing seat, open exhaust, and a 48 gallon gas tank, the record-breaking Corvette was by no means a street car, but it was unquestionably a production car, using its officially specified production engine. The prospect of succeeding with that innocent combination had been so laughable at the time that the press wasn't even officially invited to watch. Nobody in over 50 years had beaten the 24-hour speed record -- even when using imaginative combinations of exotic racing engines and purpose-built chassis. How could a mere production-class Corvette succeed where unlimited had failed?

Consider that the 175-180 mph speed range easily achieved by even the early, 375 hp, ZR-1 is comparable to current race averages in today's NASCAR events, where much lighter cars use the same size engine as the Corvette (5.7 liters or 350 cubic inches). Recall how many of those highly modified, NASCAR engines fail after less than 500 miles, and then ponder how the Corvette¹s LT-5 engine ran at the very same speeds for the equivalent of TEN Daytona 500s -- BACK-TO-BACK! That's a level of durability unprecedented in the automotive industry, a feat which has yet to be equaled by any production car, anywhere.

So it's not only that the ZR-1 is one of the few stock cars in the world that can comfortably run 180 mph; it's the fact that this car can do so, not just for hundreds, but for THOUSANDS of miles at a time! THAT'S what¹s impressive. Yet in calmer moments it could deliver an amazing 28 mpg at 65 mph, while displaying world-class cornering, braking and acceleration to complement its awesome highway speed. That was enough "all-around" superiority in performance for the media to qualify the ZR-1 as "King of the Hill," world-wide, when it was introduced -- a reputation it successfully defended through the end of its production.

Certainly there were a few exotic street machines which could outrun a ZR-1, even during its hey-day -- but they could only do so for short distances. And, given the growing popularity of turbos and superchargers (the LT-5 required neither), there will likely be a much more impressive crop of sprinters wowing enthusiasts in this new century. But, the Dodge Viper excepted, from 1990 until the end of the last century, no such exotics were produced in quantities greater than a few hundred, and most of them numbered less than a handful. Even the few competitors which moved from prototype to limited-production, cost from twice to TWENTY-TIMES as much as the ZR-1's already hefty 66-thousand-dollar sticker, and still they couldn't keep up with the Corvette over long distances. The Porsche team admitted their 962 just wasn't up to it.

The sole, mass-produced, ZR-1 challenger in the 20th century was the Viper -- and despite having a much larger engine, and no concessions to refinement, it still failed to equal the Corvette's highway speed until a year after the ZR-1 was out of production. Today's 21st century Vipers, with a 150-cubic-inch-larger engine than the LT-5 "small block", will certainly exceed an aging ZR-1's 180 mph top speed. But none of those 525 hp monsters have dared attempt the Corvette's 1990 marathon run, and neither have Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, or Lamborghini. Between 1966 and 1988, Ford, Mercedes and Audi at least tried -- but they all failed.

It's only in the 21st Century that the ZR-1 has seen its decade-old world records begin to fall -- but NOT to production cars. Except for the ZR-1, no automobile available to the public has EVER performed that well. In fact, the car that the ZR-1 beat in order to set those records was a one-off, hand-built racer, powered by an aircraft engine! Its driver, whose long-standing marathon record the Corvette thumped by a whopping 15 mph, was Ab Jenkins. I know the name because it's shared by my great-great-grandfather. And, as one would logically expect, the 21st century cars that have since broken the Corvette's marathon records are also one-off prototypes, with neither their engines nor their chassis yet to see a show-room, let alone mass-production.

WB9MCW
10-25-2005, 06:32 PM
rest of the article....

So it's very unlikely that the world will ever again see a production package accomplish such a feat. And even if another licensable car does someday go that fast, for that long, the odds are against its ever being mass-marketed for thousands of happy enthusiasts. The Corvette ZR-1's achievement is thus a singular and enduring benchmark -- the high point in the first century of automotive history -- certifiably the only mass-produced car that, even with gas stops, could average over 175 mph all day and all night.

The heavy, elegant, ZR-1 could not only travel coast-to-coast distances faster than most private planes can fly them, it could do so with more amenities -- six-way adjustable leather seats, Bose stereo, air-conditioning, electrically adjustable suspension, F-16-style gold-reflective windshield, and monster brakes. Besides, the Corvette offered owners sleeker lines than anything propeller-powered -- except maybe the Mercruiser race boats sharing its engine¹s production facility. Odd, when you ponder it, that the engines of the fastest Corvettes ever sold to the public were designed in England and built by an American boat company! That eccentricity alone gives the 1990-1995 Corvette ZR-1 a unique bloodline -- a pedigree befitting the fastest production car of its time.

After fifteen years, the world has yet to mass-produce a marathoner which has proved itself the ZR-1's equal, but we can hope. The two-generation-newer C-6 Corvette, due soon at Chevrolet dealerships, is reputed to be even faster than the ZR-1; but GM hasn't yet shown the C6 can average 175 mph for the first 5000 miles of its warranty. And even if it can, the marathon records firmly held by the Corvette ZR-1 through the turn of the last century may now, by experimental prototypes, have been pushed out of reach for any production car -- let alone a mass-marketed Chevy.

But, for one brief, shining moment, the certified "King of the Hill" could be driven out of an American showroom and onto a public highway, confidently assuring its pilot that nothing sold elsewhere at any price could match its pace and still go the distance. Were there an Olympics for cars, the indomitable ZR-1 would still be wearing gold. She done us proud.

© Robin Jenkins
Olympic August, 2004

NOW MR PATTON...Do u still think the c6z06 is up to the task to challenge the KOTH ZR-1...cause if u do I have sum swamp land in Florida I wish to sell u!!! :mrgreen:

ps... do not get me wrong i like the c6z06 vette and sumday when the $$$ come down on em i think she will look real gud sittin next to the zr-1 in my garage...maybe 10 years from now!!!

Patton
10-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Oh good lord, who let wadsworth out again? Can everybody please remember to latch the gate behind you after feeding him?

Listen here sizzlechest when was the last time you went 5000 miles in your ZR-1 even at a 1 mph average, in a day, week,... a month, a year? Right, so as I was saying, the new ZO6 would blow the doors off a ZR-1. Okay not quite, but it WOULD beat it quite vigorously about the head and neck.

If I ever had to drive in an oval for 24 hours at 175mph the ZR-1 would be my first damn choice you can bet your big goofy sunglasses on it!! However if I wanted to realistically hang with the GT and cars of its class, with a drastically less price tag I would pick the ZO6.
Stop being such a douche and just admit you want a new ZO6. Its okay to admit you have pushrod envy.

Pay attention sport, I’m not saying the ZR-1 isn’t special so don’t get pouty on me and go copy/paste a freakin book on how great the ZR-1 is, I OWN A ZR-1 YOU RETARD,... I know how damn great it is and wouldn’t ever trade it in for ANYTHING else. And if a new ZO6 owner ever looked down his snout at me because I’m in a c4 platform I would stomp a fukin mudhole in his head and put a big white ZR-1 hat on him, with some big chunky sunglasses and a fake mustache... :thumbsup:

That being said I still want a ZO6 and can, with dignity and pride, accept the fact that its performance simply outclasses my ZR-1.

Jeffvette
10-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Damn. :D .

WB9MCW
10-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Oh good lord, who let wadsworth out again? Can everybody please remember to latch the gate behind you after feeding him?

sizzlechest

goofy sunglasses

douche

Pay attention sport

don’t get pouty

YOU RETARD

stomp a fukin mudhole in his head

I LOVE U PATTON!!! I'M SURE U AND I WOULD BE GREAT BUDDIES AND WE SHOULD REALLY MEET SOMEDAY SO I CAN BUY U A BEER :cheers: AND GIVE U A HUG...UR NOT ONE OF THOSE HOMOPHOB'S ARE U? :jawdrop:

A1990
10-25-2005, 11:18 PM

sizzlechest

goofy sunglasses

douche

Pay attention sport

don’t get pouty

YOU RETARD

stomp a fukin mudhole in his head

Sounds like you got alot going for you:sign10:

zesstey1
10-26-2005, 12:03 AM
you guys to funny.:thumbsup:

Chris
10-26-2005, 12:29 AM
It sounds Like General Patton !:dancing Boy, you told him.

LONG LIVE THE KING!:cheers:

Patton
10-26-2005, 12:42 AM
Bryan! Thats Kickass, I see your sense of humor has blossomed beautifully!! Ahh hell your sunglasses aren’t half bad!!
I'll take you up on that beer, buddy. Just as long as you don’t slip me a roofie ya damn homo! :sign10: :thumbsup:
:cheers: